• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machette + Pistol Suggestion

Dual handed katana will put an end to that too.

Have you ever actually held a katana? Even with years of practice, wielding two of them is not very practical. There are arts such as Niten Ichi Ryuu (二天一流 - two swords as one, or two heavens as one) which do this but only a few historical people were ever good enough to use it on the battlefield and survive.

And even then, a katana and wakizashi (shorter sword) were used, not two katana.

Why not DUAL Machette with crazy rate of swing ? :)

This would be very nice. Give the machete a distinction, like a wide arc of attack where you swing both blades outward that can hit multiple specimens.

Upvote 0
Saying the 9mm is useless because you actually need to aim is like saying the crossbow is useless. When playing sharpshooter I use my 9mm on everything but sirens, scrakes, and sometimes fleshpounds. I'll use dual HC's if I'm surrounded or have a scrake or flesh pound raging at me. But the 9mm is a pretty good weapon if you know how to use it, and it's pretty hard to run out of ammo since you can kill the weaker specimens with 1 or 2 shots.

No one ever said the 9mm is useless because you have to aim; we said the 9mm is useless if you can't aim down the sights. Note that the dual wield "sights" don't count.

As for dual machetes... well, "They call me... MACHETE!!!" :D

Upvote 0
Have you ever actually held a katana? Even with years of practice, wielding two of them is not very practical. There are arts such as Niten Ichi Ryuu (二天一流 - two swords as one, or two heavens as one) which do this but only a few historical people were ever good enough to use it on the battlefield and survive.

And even then, a katana and wakizashi (shorter sword) were used, not two katana.

And I suppose falling from 2nd story building to the ground level and getting off with 80 injury and not breaking any bones or dying is normal.
Having a medical syringe that instantly heals you is yet another reality that kinda skipped away from my radar. And certainly, buying even just 1 katana for 1000 british pounds to fight the zombies is very practical when you can buy a rifle for 200 british pounds.
Why you're giving me a lecture on the practicality of wielding 2 katana is beyond me. I've held an actual katana and yeah, I can hold one with one hand, if you're really that interested. And I don't know how or why a katana or a sword would be referred to as heaven.
I've held 2 shinais in practice. The only viable way to use them is to use one as a propellant and one to strike. I tried Nitoryu as well using the wakazashi. You're fighting zombies, not going to Edo for the battle for unification.
I'm interested to know, have you ever held katana? You're perhaps one who practices Iaido?

Upvote 0
My roommate practices Iaido and has been to competition, so I know a good deal about the history from him (although I've personally spent time reading stuff like Hagakure, and I want to get to the Book of Five Rings sometime.) He told me that the grip on the katana in KF doesn't look right, haha... me, I practice bojutsu (although I haven't had much in the way of formal training).

As for the "heavens" thing, it's a samurai thing. They're very poetic people. d:

Fall damage and magic syringe aside, when you use two swords you drastically reduce the power and control that you have. A lot of the uses for two swords are for parrying (which you never do in KF) and attacking on multiple sides (which isn't terribly practical in an FPS). Dual machetes would be way more practical largely from a gameplay standpoint IMO.

Have I actually wielded two katana? No. I've held and practiced with one because I'm at the skill level where I'm comfortable with one. I know better than to try to do an advanced style beyond my capabilities because you can very easily lose some digits or cut yourself very badly.

For a regular commando, picking up and using a sword isn't terribly hard and you can be effective in combat with it. Using two at the same time is an entirely different story.

Upvote 0
As for the "heavens" thing, it's a samurai thing. They're very poetic people. d:

Pretty much ya, though you might want to extend that to "Japanese people in general". Chinese and Korean people can do this too, but not as much as Japanese people. There's just something about Asian culture that promotes blatant, shameless, and usually total bull over-self-aggrandizement. Seriously, I once saw "Fly your dream for childhood; demonstrate your passion for youth" on a bag of airsoft BBs... BBs! Little plastic balls shot out of airsoft guns somehow fly my dream for childhood and demonstrate my passion for youth...

Honestly though, given the extreme speed at which the dudes in this game can swing that sword through zed heads (hell it'd be hard for most people to cut through one, much less a couple dozen at a rate of roughly two per second!), I wouldn't say that handling two of those bad boys would be impossible :p

Upvote 0
My roommate practices Iaido and has been to competition, so I know a good deal about the history from him (although I've personally spent time reading stuff like Hagakure, and I want to get to the Book of Five Rings sometime.) He told me that the grip on the katana in KF doesn't look right, haha... me, I practice bojutsu (although I haven't had much in the way of formal training).

Fall damage and magic syringe aside, when you use two swords you drastically reduce the power and control that you have. A lot of the uses for two swords are for parrying (which you never do in KF) and attacking on multiple sides (which isn't terribly practical in an FPS). Dual machetes would be way more practical largely from a gameplay standpoint IMO.

Have I actually wielded two katana? No. I've held and practiced with one because I'm at the skill level where I'm comfortable with one. I know better than to try to do an advanced style beyond my capabilities because you can very easily lose some digits or cut yourself very badly.

I'm surprised you don't complain about the incorrect swing they employ in the game. The illustrated arc and angle of cut is completely inefficient and I doubt it would have the momentum to slice through any body. In a way, it would have similar effect when you swing with a correct arc with one hand. With two hands you will have more push, but cutting is not pushing. Couple one handed cut is not a problem. Just the repetition of quality cut builds up lactic acid and makes the swing eventually weaker. Of course, one handed swings are effective you use the te no uichi. No ki ken tai ichi, no zanshin, no chudan no kamae. But Iaido doesn't use those except ki ken tai ichi. And ki ken tai ichi is the more important part of any strike.
Also, what is the practicality of attacking multiple targets with the katana?
The qualifying idealism in the Japanese art is 1 strike 1 kill; not multipe strikes, 1 kill. Battle time practicality can't be really fully described with just the knowledge of iaido. Kenjutsu is more suited for that scenario.
If a katana's well balanced and your grip is right below the tsuba, I think it could be viable if you have developed muscles for it. Admittedly, as you mentioned, it will be sluggish and you would be crazy to use 2 katana against a guy wielding 1 katana with 2 hands.

Anybody can be poetic. Japan just had the blessing of the isolationism from its insular nature. Where do you think Japan got bulk of its culture?
Incoporating poetry in vernacular was a must for people of knowledge in the ancient times - European countries included! This also applies to China and Korea. Why did this died off...Korea was annexed by Japan and its culture was nye eradicated. China became Red China.

w00tmonger: the blatant shameless bit applies to all countries. The difference is how it's expressed. The thing is...for some reason Japan gets the spotlight with much of Western audience. I've seen maybe 3 or 4 and heard just as many cases in which Caucasian Japanophiles go a step too far. This is not including numerous 80's movies that came out distorting and even more deeply mystifying the Japanese culture. These folks act like they desire to be part of the Japanese culture.

So my point boils down to one thing. This game has no limitations against the use of the dual katana. And on a side note, my original comment was just a joke. It's already ridiculous how they look with one katana. Just imagine them holding 2. And why would they even use a katana? It's totally out of the picture. Axe: common item; chainsaw: common item; machete: could be army issued; guns: gun shop. katana: ????

It just irked me getting jumped on for an insane comment. Usually, people who practice Japanese sword martial arts do this. Hence my conjecture on your connection to iaido. This constant chafing is driving me crazy.

Upvote 0
Alright so Machette Pistol deemed too weak by majority. Let me list other pairing that make sense things so I can get them out of my head;

-Firstly Berserkers gets all bonuses and aims down the sight if combo includes a ranged weapon. My only wish was I didn't need to switch between melee and ranged but it seems everyone is obsessed min-maxing and using scrake/fp wave equipments to at second wave.

-Machette + Pistol, not a nerfed 9mm but a buffed high caliber pistol, perhaps a revovler. Or just the handcannon.

-Machette + Machette/Knife, equal or higher dps then axe. Trade off is reach, good when surrounded. That would be more useful for all perks.

-Machette + Machine Pistol, Like a Mac10 or Miniuzi, rapid fire, dps somewhere between dual 9mm and bullpup. In addition to making it a great retreat weapon it would be fantastic to pop Fleshpound heads.

-Machette + Shield, that would be interesting, blocks some of the damage. It would be fantastic for medics/berserkers that throw themselves between others and scrakes/fps/patraich. Should have its own hit points and break (like, 4 scrake attacks, 3 fp, 1 patraich melee...).

Upvote 0
Honestly I cannot see riot shields or anything like that in kf, makes no sense to me :\

"A group of several thousand protesters were reported assembling outside the offices of a wealthy Biotech corporation called Horzine. The riot police were called in because the general consensus was that these protesters were the violent sort and needed a lesson in civil obedience."

Taken from the main site. Given these circumstances and the fact that two fo the player models are unquestionably riot police, I'm surprised we don't already have a riot shield...

Upvote 0
Riot shield reminds me of the time when it became available in Counter-Strike. Riot Shield's going to destroy this game. When a fleshpound attacks, I'll just go to a corner and put up the riot shield and i'll be invincible!

No you won't, if you ever succed a reading roll you will notice it should only reduce damage taken. Not toggle god mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No you won't, if you ever succed a reading roll you will notice it should only reduce damage taken. Not toggle god mode.

Yeah I kinda skipped over that in excitement. heh
But if you choose to go shield it should be just the shield and pistol or melee. I don't think fixed Shield+machete combo would be viable because you can't just roll up shield and start using primary weapons.
I have no idea how heavy those shields are, but it should also slow down the shield user. Having a shield doesn't exactly spell mobility.
If it breaks and still gives me damage while being attacked, I wouldn't get it. Running away from high end zeds is what I do best. :D

Upvote 0