• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Chainsaw 'nerf'

The only real difference between chainsaw and katana is the attack speed versus the slowdown the chainsaw gives the player.

A solution I see is to either cut the katana's damage down to between the chainsaw and axe ( and it's price by about 100 or so ), and buff the chainsaw's power or range.

Currently, until I absolutely need the DPS, I use the katana so I can still run. There's pretty much next to no motivation to use the chainsaw, especially when I'm sick of hearing it.

Although, man would I would love a chain-axe in this game so I can do the screaming about the killing and the maiming and the burning and the blood and the pain and the death, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. Of course, that's just fanboy weapon request there rather than something feasible, realistic to the setting, or not copyright infringing from Games Workshop.

Upvote 0
Eh, if chainsaw is so lackluster, why protective clothing is so thick and robust?

Because people don't like to risk having their legs chewed open? It still produces wounds, I know that. It just doesn't do the things people often attribute to it - like chewing through foes as if they were made of tissue paper. It's not got the destructive potential of an actual weapon of war like a sword - or of a tool that doubles as a weapon like the Axe.

The reason why basic chainsaw is not optimal weapon is because cutting chain structurally optimized to cut rigid wood, you are correct in that respect. BUT its NOT a butter knife. Chainsaw accidents tend to be extremely gruesome for a reason. Damage potential is staggering.

They're gruesome because the chainsaw produces gruesome looking wounds as a result of how it cuts. Unlike a sword or an axe, a chainsaw doesn't so much as chop or slice as it chews.

Getting chain jammed by gore is not very likely, chain oil is very thick, its almost like porridge when you apply it to the chain. As a matter of fact, I think gore might function as lube. :p

Muscle fiber is far thicker than lube, however. :p

"Kickback" of the chainsaw is directly relative to the rigidness of the matter you are trying to cut. Crappy old Husqvarna in my family's summer cottage kicked like crazy when I tried to cut dry pine log, but when my uncle cut down smallish spruce after rain, it was very tame. I doubt that there will be any kickback in case of Bloats fat belly.

Perhaps in the Bloat's case. A FP would give a harder kick, being composed of thick skin, thicker muscle and even thicker bone.

tl; dr, Chainsaw is not optimal melee weapon, but its image and kick-*** appearance make it perfect for a game like this.

Of course. KF is not a terribly realistic game.

This is a game where, after all, a zombie can be hit with a rocket from a light anti-tank weapon and keep coming despite tanks being made of materials stronger than flesh ever was or ever will be. :p

How about adding fuel requirement? Doesn't chain saw require some sort of fuel? One tank or "can" of fuel should last the saw some arbitrary amount of time.

See first page. Read my mini-tirade about why a fuel requirement is dumb.

Reach enlightment on the issue of Chainsaws.

Upvote 0
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

THE CHAINSAW IS FINE. STOP MAKING TOPICS ASKING TO NERF IT. PLAY THE RIGHT DIFFICULTY FOR YOUR PERK LEVEL AND GRADUATE FROM NORMAL.

Now, with that out of the way, lets get on with the reasons why:

1. It weighs a lot and slows down the person using it, whether it be berserker or other perk. This makes you incredibly susceptible to Sirens and Crawlers.

2. You have to get in close to use it. This is the distance that most people don't want to be from a specimen, especially Sirens, Crawlers, Gorefasts, and Bloats. Doubly so with reduced movement speed.

3. It's expensive. 1000 quid for non berserkers. Much less with high ranks of Berserker.

4. It can only hit one target at a time. It is not a room clearing device like the hunting shotgun, flamethrower, or crossbow.

If you're going to play the we want realism card, recognize this:

You're playing a game where a Biotech lab in England has a cloning device that pumps out zombies. Let's not even mention the fact that chainsaws would make a horrible close combat weapon to begin with if used in a real life scenario.

Nerfing the chainsaw in any way, shape, or form (overheating, having the chain seize up, etc) will only make the game less fun for everyone. It's an un-needed mechanic that will only serve to try and fix that which is not broken.

Upvote 0
I don't play anything less than hard, and preferably with 100% friendly fire whenever possible.

A berserker with a chainsaw gets unlimited ammo, no recoil and no reload. It's true that he/she gets in closer, but at the same time gets damage resistance to everything. Dealing with sirens is only a matter of getting out of the line of sight until the very last moment when you blast out to silence her. Crawlers are all about backpedaling at the right moment so that it misses when it leaps, but can still be reached by the chainsaw. It does seem a bit overpowered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A berserker with a chainsaw gets unlimited ammo, no recoil and no reload. It's true that he/she gets in closer, but at the same time gets damage resistance to everything. Dealing with sirens is only a matter of getting out of the line of sight until the very last moment when you blast out to silence her. Crawlers are all about backpedaling at the right moment so that it misses when it leaps, but can still be reached by the chainsaw. It does seem a bit overpowered.

You could make the unlimited ammo argument against any of the melee weapons. The recoil/reload thing points more toward the realism junkies. Do you think the knife or the axe are overpowered because they slice cleanly through zombies every time?

Nerfing the chainsaw would only serve to complicate things and it would un-necessarily make the game more difficult all around. Say you have a berserker holding a doorway in a multiple entrance building. A big group comes out of nowhere and during a decapitation spree the chainsaw jams/overheats. Zerker dies for no reason other than a random mechanic screwing him over and the team is now in more danger with one less member to help fight off said danger. Imagine if this happens during a fleshpound rage when you need a zerker to tank it. Overheating, jamming, fuel requirements, are unnecessary.

Plus, with the new patch, if the chainsaw were to be nerfed then it would never be used over the katana in any situation. I guarantee it.

On another note:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35301&highlight=chainsaw
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35589&highlight=chainsaw

There are two other topics filled with basically the same ideas. I don't see the need to keep making more "nerf chainsaw" topics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It's no more overpowered than being able to use a Flamethrower while immune to fire. Or having a shotgun that penetrates everything it hits. Or a Crossbow that does the same. If you want to look at overpowered, Support still has the crown for that one... The berserker is just self-sufficient, able to deal with nearly anything. By himself, Chainsaw or not, he'll eventually get overwhelmed as constant attacks don't leave any time to heal.

And if you really play exclusively in Friendly Fire, then you can't deny the fact that the 'Zerker is probably the most common guy to get TK'd via shots in the back. That alone is a pretty big setback.

Upvote 0
@Skunkee - You're right that those effects would be bad ideas. I'm simply suggesting a little kickback or recoil when you hit something with a chainsaw.

@Nanostrike - I don't play exclusively on FF servers, only when I can find a good one. Getting TK'd is really annoying, but that's not the game's fault. You can blame the people for that, and sometimes maybe yourself for standing smack in the middle of the line of fire and not crouching. (Not accusing you of this or anything... I'm just saying.)

Upvote 0
@Skunkee - You're right that those effects would be bad ideas. I'm simply suggesting a little kickback or recoil when you hit something with a chainsaw.

@Nanostrike - I don't play exclusively on FF servers, only when I can find a good one. Getting TK'd is really annoying, but that's not the game's fault. You can blame the people for that, and sometimes maybe yourself for standing smack in the middle of the line of fire and not crouching. (Not accusing you of this or anything... I'm just saying.)

The absolute most I would accept if anything were to happen to the chainsaw is a little movement (like bullpup deviation on full auto but not as bad) if primary fire is held for longer than X amount of seconds or after you decapitate more than 2 specimens back to back or something. Anything more would be too detrimental.

Upvote 0
I don't believe the Chainsaw need a nerf at all, otherwise the Katana WOULD become better than a Chainsaw. I don't see why people think the Katana is overpowered, when the Chainsaw remains the Beserker's best choice in weaponry. The Katana's run speed is the only combat advantage that it has over the chainsaw, but hey, that's why the Beserker gets a runspeed increase right? The Katana's lower weight is not an advantage in the slightest. Why on earth would you pick a slightly less powerful, slower hitting weapon to the chainsaw, so that you can carry an additional gun that'll be next to useless. You might argue that "It can be supar-doopar-mega useful for getting them Crawlers", though you can already carry beside your chainsaw, either: 2 9mm; 2 HandCannons; 1 Lever-action Rifle; 1 Bullpup and now 1 AK47. Surely some of these weapons are already useful against Crawlers?

None of the melee weapons need a nerf the way I see it. Chainsaw will still need support when used in a decent sized team and the Katana will never be as powerful as the Chainsaw in the hands of a Beserker. The damage increase is a percentage of the original stock damage, meaning that if the Katana is nearly as good as the Chainsaw at stock level then the difference in damage will only increase as your beserker level increases. The katana is best used as a Decent Melee weapon for another class, where space needs to be conserved for an appropriate primary weapon.

Upvote 0
I find the katana's light weight hugely useful. They're especially handy when you need to shut a siren up. With the chainsaw you couldn't run in fast enough to slice her head off before she opens her mouth.

Like I said, it's the Katana's run speed that's its only advantage, though useful for only few situations like these. And I feel the Beserker's damage resistance is for combatting situations just like these. It could weigh 1 block and that would still be it's only advantage.

Usually though, I just have my backup weapon for situations like these.

But what about when the Beserker's Katana speed isn't as fast as level 5's Chainsaw speed? I'm not sure on exact speeds though, so such a possibility may not even exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the chainsaw is actually pretty well balanced. It works better when you use the alternative fire constantly, and does kill everything in your way - but it also makes you more prone to damage because you have to get up close. Overall I think its meant to be the cheaper weapon, so how it is now is fine...

Plus, nerfing sucks - all it does is piss people off. I mean, if you don't like a class or weapon cuz their cheap, do you get really pissed off at them? No not rly, ur just mad cuz they steal the kills. But if TW nerfed it so it wasn't nearly as good everyone who played that perk would be pissed. It does no good.

Upvote 0