• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Magazine

You say potato. He says po-ta-to.

I say you have too much time on your hands to be bothering with something as insignificant as the difference between "clip" and "mag".

Hell, "mag" isn't properly using the correct annunciation and term for a "Magazine" either. I guess they better re-do the voice overs too.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You say potato. He says po-ta-to.

I say you have too much time on your hands to be bothering with something as insignificant as the difference between "clip" and "mag".

Well ****, you must be absolutely innundated with time on your hands to be bothering to reply to someone bothering with something as insignificant as the difference between "clip" and "mag".

Hell, "mag" isn't properly using the correct annunciation and term for a "Magazine" either. I guess they better re-do the voice overs too.:rolleyes:

It's an abridgment of the word.

I don't see what's so difficult about this...

Last edited:
Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
I think in the end, If this was a big issue tripwire would of fixed it from the start. But honestly everybody doesn't care about the correct term. If they did care this post would be flooded with changing but right now there isn't that much support and now this has become nothing but a trollers dream of finding pointless counter-aurguments to EVERY SINGLE POST *cough cough*.

btw the soldier thinking of correct terminoligy is still nothing but a dead half eaten corps :D.

Upvote 0
Blessed Bloat, I am pleased that you have decided to spew your holy bile over the discussion.
I have taken time out from sharpening my Katana to inject my insignificant remarks into your blessed spewage.

[Note to others in this debate: the following only applies to High Lord of All, Zeromem.]
[1]Corollary: Do unto others as they have done unto others.

Oh my god, the same word can mean different things depending on the context? And, as we all know, English is the only language that does this...
No, that's not true. Lots of other languages have context dependent semantics. Sheesh. Read a book. That's (r[=e]d); since it is obvious you haven't (r[e^]d) one. Wow! Context sensitive pronunciation, too.
Oopsy. Mea bad. I showed this to my four year old and she said it's sarcasm. Then she said "What's next peepee or poopie jokes? I'm going to (r[=e]d) a good book."

God? Trick question: Which one: capital G god, Yahweh or Allah. Or Thoth, Anubis or Quetzalcoatl? So, why do you thing the Nordic Gods are the only gods after which some days of the week are named?

No, "clip" is "incorrect" for "magazine". It's like saying "gasoline" is slang for "diesel".
Nice strawman. But he said clip is slang for magazine.
And if one is like the other, how 'bout you give me a dollar for everyone who thinks clip is slang for magazine, two dollars for everyone who thinks they're the same, and I'll give you $1 for everyone who thinks gasoline(C) is slang for "diesel(C)."
Actually, it's moot. Brits say petrol, not gasoline(C). Ergo, gasoline(C) does not "fit."

Both of those are the names that have to be used because of copyright issues.
Well, I've learned something. Or not.

Yes, but that is an actual description and the correct usage of the term, unlike saying "clip". The difference between clips and magazines is the difference between night and day.
Which is which? I'd love to use one to see on the dark maps.

It's just changing a simple string. Hell, just CTRL+F "clip" and change it to "mag".
<snicker> He thinks real programmers use wordpad? Or, Thor forbid, notepad. Or EDLIN? What a n00b!
But, once the file is saved (oops, forgot that part), what's next?
Think they use make? Or build in VC++? Or something esoteric like Ant?
What about handling I18N? Dump it in a resource file? Or has Epic provided an IDE?
Due to the word length difference, the space malloc()'d for the string is now no longer a power of 2. And you know what that means! Or, Odin forbid, it hoses the page alignment. Even an idiot (yes, I'm one, duh) knows what that can cause!!!1!!!!!11!! And don't get me stahted on multicore cache coherency. But I'm sure you've dealt with that in your code written with notepad(R)(C)(TM).

Then after that's debugged and tested with no regressions, what next? CVS or Subversion or RCS or SCCS or CodeUnsafe? Or some home-brewed SCCS (different in this context). Oh, and add to the change log, write a new NEWS pages. Then suck up internet bandwidth as everyone updates.
Do you think the strings are kept on the server and fed to the client, or the entire menu system is on the client. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. Which way would you do it? And why?

Man, the other guy's profession sure is easy! Like choppin' branches with a knife. Or bamboo. Or broccoli.

You know what "M.A.R.I.N.E." stands for?
Non sequitur.
Does "M.A.R.I.N.E." (R), (TM), (C)??? mean "he who wields a chaingun with deadly accuracy?"
Or is it someone who can stick a chain saw in his back pocket so he can run faster, who can pickup a gun with his toes (or boot soles) and place it or his current weapon in his backpack? And then get to the store and buy some clips. Or run around the map all hunched over soliloquizing "A mag, a mag, my kingdom for a mag."?

Know what the following means? If not, your knowledge of clips and mags is inadequate.

(defmacro kb-lambda-new (docstring &rest body)
"Define a lambda suitable for binding to a key.
Defines an interactive lambda taking 5 optional args.
If DOCSTRING is a cons, then the car holds a string that consists of flags to
`interactive' and the cdr is the docstring."
(let ((interactive-flags ""))
(when (and (consp docstring)
(not (true-list-p docstring)))
(psetq docstring (cdr docstring)
interactive-flags (car docstring)))
(unless (stringp docstring)
(setq body (cons docstring body)
docstring ""))
;; an &rest would be best, but then getting at the args'd be a PITA.
`(lambda (&optional arg arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4 arg5)
,docstring
(interactive ,(format "%sP" interactive-flags))
,@body)))
(put 'kb-lambda-new 'lisp-indent-function lisp-body-indent)

Gwarsh! People without MY knowledge sure are, nyuk, stoopid.
[/QUOTE]

Anyway, I wouldn't take a couple marine's words for it; they're wrong, no matter how you slice it, regardless of how "professional" they may be.
But not say this to their faces. With the quotes around professional implying they aren't.

Most of the soldiers I've talked to/shot with refer to them, correctly, as "mags". The ones that don't, well, they have some strange ideas about how guns function to begin with (and are usually REMFs).
ZeptoREMFs?
Let's put your knowledge of how guns function next to Mr Clippy in hot sand, bullets hitting the cover you're behind or whizzing by where your head just was. Then when he asks you for a clip you can say "Man, don't you know it's called a magazine you stinking REMF? Then toss him some copyrighted diesel(C), at night if it's day and during the day if it's night. And then he..."

Well, now, looky, looky:
(See, this is on topic, after a slight interlude. Like asking what "M.A.R.I.N.E" stands for.)

WordNet: cartridge clip
Home > Library > Literature & Language > WordNet
Note: click on a word meaning below to see its connections and related words. The noun has one meaning:
Meaning #1: a metal frame or container holding cartridges; can be inserted into an automatic gun
Synonyms: cartridge holder, clip, magazine
Oh, crap! What's another word for synonym? Never mind.
Is synonym stronger than slang? Perhaps they can engage in a duel, affair of honor, bout, challenge, engagement, fencing, joust, shootout, single combat or sword(eg Katana) fight?

Oh noes! Is the internets ronge?!?!!

I'll buy you a clue: It is possible to debate a point without acting like a male human's external reproductive organ. People who can't avoid acting like said organ are often insecure about many things, especially their inability to debate like the terminal node in the humanoid evolutionary tree. Some people need to grow up... others need to evolve. Climb, baby, climb.

How can such a great team oriented game attract such abrasive and abusive. It's obvious you were never a Leftennant in Nam. Or you have not only the personality of an ox but the constitution of one.
Do you TK people on your team if they make a boo-boo? Or are you one of those p*ss*s who plays with @ 0%.

Hmm... after spending some of my copious free time, I've realized that when my posterior sphincters emit something noxious, I don't waste time (its copiousness notwithstanding) debating it. I sense this is an analogous :cool: situation.

But sometimes, when it's truly disgusting, it may be worth commenting upon.

XOXOX,
cx

Upvote 0
Wow. That guy tried so hard. You're close, man, but a good troll shouldn't take that much effort. Try something shorter, make it seem like you don't ever care. Start off easy, with a "QFT!" or "Epic" then progress into the longer bait posts. If you want people to believe you, leave a couple paragraphs between complaining about the abusive players and calling him a pussy.

Aside from that post, it's amazing how much people who don't care about adding a correction get riled up about the suggestion. Do they feel bad that they thought clips were magazines? It's baffling that all the hostility is from people who claim to not care.

Upvote 0
It wasn't directed toward me so I didn't feel like reading all of it. Let alone understand half of that post. Especially the code halfway down or whatever that was.

TLDR.jpg

Upvote 0
Aside from that post, it's amazing how much people who don't care about adding a correction get riled up about the suggestion. Do they feel bad that they thought clips were magazines? It's baffling that all the hostility is from people who claim to not care.

The hilarious part is it's not even really wrong. I'm sure TWI knows the difference, both because they made RO and because the soldiers say mag when reloading anyways. That the trader sells "clips" probably means stripper-clips which are used to speed the reloading of magazines.

Upvote 0