• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Improving abilities

I hope rankings aren't based on experience points. Maybe the first few ranks, but nothing after that. I don't want to see so called "hero" (WTF?!?!) players reach that status because of simply playing the game a long time.

EDIT: Ok I read some posts by the TW guys, it seems as though they know what they're doing. We'll see when it comes out. It'll probably be all good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ugh, not this again. For all you smegging know it could mean a more tightly coiled artillery bombing ffs. Calm down and wait for more details before blowing **** out of proportion.

It could but it couldn't! Its better to tell to creators what you think before they waste their time on leveling system that nobody wants.
Do you want better ranked players to be able to run faster, throw grenades farder, had lower reccoil and such things? Im not! (And im playing RO a lot so i would be probably quite high in ranks.) If i kill somebody i want to know that its all my cunning and not that i have better ranked character!
Look at killing floor "doing 20% more damage with shotgun", WTF?!?! (I know KF is a casual game but things like that just turn me off.)

Ok, if abbilities means that longer playing experienced players will have better access to better classes it could work. Although it could turn off new players if they get stuck all the time with boltaction rifles (best weapon imho).

Upvote 0
well, what else do the devs expect as responses to very broad statements and no real details about listed features? that is what we all want.....DETAILS. of course posting broad statements will get people worried. people don't want to see the game turning out crappy after waiting for so long. when people read things like "improve abilities" etc... they think of what already exists because that is all we have to go by. look at the phrase, what else could be meant by "improve abilities" other than, well, your abilities improve??

the progression system for KF works very well.......for KF that is. for a game where you are playing other real people, you can't have one person with more stamina, less recoil, more arm strength, better aim, etc.... that would ruin gameplay especially for clan wars. for clan wars a mutator could be made to have all players back on a certain default level, but how fun would that be? you'd play in public and "improve your abilities", get used to playing the game with those abilites, and then have to play on a level you aren't used to because you're being bumped up/down to balance things out.

of course, we all could be way off on what the system will be like, but hey, with no details or specifics it's leaving things open to speculation. that's all this is, speculation and there's no harm in continuing to voice our opinions on what we do and don't want the game to be like. if TW doesn't want people to worry, then release more details about features. then again, they can do what ever they want because it's their game, not ours. either way, we'll all have to wait until release day to see exactly what the game will be like anyway.

Upvote 0
Some improved ability ideas -

- Able to dive under a sprint

- Using the enemy's vehicles such as the Jeeps, Kubalwagens and trucks

- Being able to carry two primary weapons rather than one

- Increased stamina for longer distance running

- You can toss back enemy grenades or even have the ability to dive onto the grenade itself, absorb the blast and save your teammates

- You can melee without any weapons equipped

Upvote 0

You can yet do, can't you? Hopefully Tripwire gets in better animations for it.

Nice! So if you keep your tank unguarded you might get shot by your own tank.

Yes, using your fists like in Crysis!

No please not that's CoD style.

A little bit increased maybe as you're becoming familiar to the weight of equipment

- You can toss back enemy grenades or even have the ability to dive onto the grenade itself, absorb the blast and save your teammates

Anyone should be able to throw back grenades, not just the "heroes". Every man could throw grenades back to the sender.

Upvote 0
Some improved ability ideas -

Sry, but i don't like any of those to be acquired as improved abilities.

Some people have great skills in red orchestra and you see them every time in the upper parts of the players point table. They have the abilities they acquired through cunning, tactic-analytical thinking, determination and training. They are the real heroes!

Upvote 0
Whats wrong with giving out decorations and leaving it at that, like in the real world.In the Wermacht, the tank destruction badge was awarded to soldiers who destroyed an enemy tank single handedly by a hand held weapon.
Silver Award​
The single handed destruction of an enemy tank.
Gold Award
The single handed destruction of five enemy tank.
There is no need to give the player enhanced abillities, the fact he has these abillities is displayed by his deeds, and the decoration recocnise's this and makes his staus known to his peers.
That is the function of awards in the real world and in my opinion is how it should be represented in the game. Should the game even go that way? Look at the above award, the fact that the Germans thought the single handed destruction of a tank merited a decoration, tells you it was not a common occurence.
How many of these would be awarded in RO? Are we a month after release, all going to be running around with Knights cross, Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds, moving faster, catching grenades,seeing further and carrying an MG, ppsh and a sniper rifle. Thats my fear for what could be.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have something along the lines of a character setup mode in which you a preset number of attribute points you can spread over various attributes, without any kind of leveling.
If the game really NEEDS to have an RPG-like system, this would be one of my favorites.
Why? It's balanced as everybody has the same amount of points and it still has some sort of character customization flavour to it.

Here's an example:
For instance the game comes with 50 attribute points, it's up to the player to spread the points over attributes like Stamina, Speed, Willpower (not to be confused with stamina) and Encumbrance.
In order to be a good officer, you need to boost team morale. Which is derived from the "Willpower" attribute.
A dedicated machinegunner ought to have enough encumbrance to carry the machinegun.
Whereas a rifleman is always better off with a good amount of stamina.

Even though I made it up, I still don't like it. It's a little rough and too RPG-esque in my opinion.

Upvote 0