• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Simple, effective tactics for everyone.

Krieg Jaeger

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
Except for elitists. They know everything already.

One of the most important things is, don't panic.
This might seem like common sense, but when everyone is on a firing line, save a sniper or firebug in the back, and a wee little crawler starts nipping on your ankle, it's not time to toss all of your grenades, run as far as you possibly can from the area, and try to knife it to death. That usually ruins everyone else's day. And your own shortly after. Instead, communicate to your sniper (who aught to be watching anyway) or whoever else is in the back (medic, firebug, etc) to get the wee ones off ya.

Holding the line, with medics
The same with low health with medics on your team. If you are a zerker (or anyone else for that matter), holding the line with a chainsaw, and the enemies start to get a few hits in, don't run screaming for your life and self healing. Call for the medic. Chances are, if he knows what he's doing, he's already heading towards you, or on your arse.

The needle dance

I know the syringe gun hurts. But a ****load of gorefeasts and the like are going to hurt a LOT more once they get in to tear you to bits and eat those bits and ****e those bits all over the next poor sod who decides running from the medic who's trying to heal him is a good idea.
If you are low on health, of course, look out for the crawlers and the like, but don't run erratically all over the damn place. Run towards the medic, or where he aught to be. If the medic is higher than a level 2, and it isn't on insane, he can likely outpace the damage done by a wee crawler or clot. So calm down, take a deep breath, and enjoy your medication.

KILLER RABBIT! RUN AWAY!
Ok, so the killer rabbit is on your arse and it's time to gtfo. Don't run, backpedaling all the way into the grasp of a sexually repressed fleshpound. You will likely regret it, unless you have extremely exotic tastes. Instead, keep looking around you. Do a quick little spin now and then to make sure your back and sides are clear.

Close the door, you're letting all the zeds in!

Doors are there for a reason. No, not to make your office more official, they are to keep zeds out. "BuT I 1z l3Et An W3 Cun houdlz it!". Unlikely, in the higher levels. All doors and barricades will fall, and it's best to always have an escape route. Speaking of which, remember those fancy hinged objects placed strategically in rooms and hallways? Close one behind you, weld until your gun is empty, and bugger off. Sometimes just buying you a few seconds to regroup, heal, and find a better position is better than attempting to hold a door against a wave of angry groupies/zeds.

The secret window

You see those weird little circular windows on doors in labs and whatnot? Guess what. You can shoot through them. Or throw grenades. Now, I don't recommend the nades unless you know there are no sirens behind it, or the way is fairly open, or as a last resort. But the flame thrower does incredible wonders against those densely packed, largely static masses.

Firing Squad
When working in groups to hold a line or a room. It's best to have people in front duck. Especially on friendly fire servers. If you're not sure there are people behind you trying to draw a bead, it might be a good idea to keep in mind that if you can't see them, they probably are. Standing to the sides is often better, as it allows everyone a good angle of fire, but not always possible.

Enjoying the view?
There are no female models/skins in the game. So there is NO REASON you should be standing that close behind people. Unless you are a medic healing em, or a berzerker cutting between, stay off people's arses. It's rude, annoying, and puts you under homo suspicion. You can also kill them if they need to fall back to get healed, or run from their own grenade throw gone wrong.

Communication is key...

..to both a healthy relationship, and doomsday scenarios. Does your significant other dislike sea food? Or is a fleshpound coming to stick his spinny shiney sharp steel columns of pain where they don't belong, and most of the team isn't aware of it? You should express your concern over both of these issues with the proper tact, being clear and concise. If typing, something like "lul I gawt Fish 4 ju" or "Fp inc, behind" will work quickly and get the message across. Though I highly suggest a headset, as pressing the key to talk, and speaking, is far quicker and easier than typing (leaving you stuck in place while doing so) while trying to fight off the omnipotent hordes.

Don't worry if you mistake the word "gorefeast" for "Fleshpound" or "screamer/siren/fugly woman". People will often get the idea, though as spoken of before in "Holding the line", unless the imminent threat is greater than the threat your team is holding off, have one person deal with said threat, rather than everyone turn to blast a poor, unfortunate clot to bits.

Pyrotechnics, Firebugs, and you!
The first rule of flamethrowers, is that you do not talk about flamethrowers. Short of informative guides and fashion trends. The second rule, is to NEVER USE A FLAMETHROWER WITHOUT THE FIREBUG PERK. Ever. No. Drop it. Now. Things will end badly. Unless you happen to be a specimen and like your survivors extra crispy. Then everything is peachy.

If a specimen is too close, or reaches melee range, you will be light on fire. If a team mate passes in front of you while firing, you will catch on fire. Sometimes, if you fire in a random direction where nothing appears to be, you will hit a stalker who is two feet away from you, and catch on fire. It doesn't matter how much of a billy badass you are. You will catch on fire. The best thing to do, is have the firebug perk, so you can resist this fiery doom. At level 3, it's not so much a problem really. At 4, its negligible, and at 5...well, it's an annoying visual impairment unless you like veiwing everything through a sheet of flames (which can actually be pretty cool sometimes).
So do yourself a favor, and never touch it unless you are a firebug.

Personal Armories
This is a tactic I have seen used once or twice, and have recently started using a lot. When you got a high level perk, and your weapon of choice is cheap, or you're just particularly loaded, buying weapons and tossing them just outside the shop, or in strategic locations is never a bad idea. Unless you are playing with a bunch of newbies, or idiots (yes, the two are different) who have no idea what the value of armor is, and decide it would be a good idea to take all these "free weapons" and sell them to buy a law. Why carry a bunch of excess cash, when you can essentially get your own personal armory going? Sure, if you die early, you're flat broke from all the arms you bought, but then, you have plenty to re-equip yourself with, or sell for cash.
Weapons, Never,Disappear. Unless someone picks it up. And I'm talking about ones you drop, not ones that spawn. With that said, picking up and tossing a spawned weapon is never a bad idea, because that stops it from spawning into something else, or disappearing altogether.

Being a douche bag
It's very counter-productive to lock people out, considering this is a co-operative game and generally your chances of surviving are better as a group. The same can be said of blocking them. Now, I understand there are a few adolescent children (or those with about the same level of maturity) who like to do something stupid, and quit the server, giggling to themselves like naughty school boys before getting reminded by their parents once more that they are an accident and the world would likely be better without them.

And if you stay on the server, people will get you back. In most amusing ways, I assure you. So please, save us the trouble, and don't be a douche.

Last edited:
Gotta love it when a couple of people notice a wave closing from behind, and skitter off, leavin the rest the die, as opposed to warning everyone =/

Yea. They could at least have the decency to use the voice command menu to say 'RUN!'. If i notice a wave coming in from behind when noone else has and it doesn't look like we can hold it, i just do that and they usually turn around for a quick look and then we all run off. Though pretty much everytime there is ALWAYS 1 person who doesn't turn around for a quick look at the incoming wave or does look back but chooses to not come with the rest of the team and dies.

Upvote 0
glad i could help i don't do it to be douchy i do it because i don't wanna get caught trying to type something and die and walking back wards and shooting at the zed will buy them time time that you can't buy them buy pressing v something i supposed binding some key would held hey there's another paragraph in binding important keys that you need

Upvote 0