• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics To new players: prioritize your target

Deniz

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
This is important. Doesn't matter what class you play, learn to prioritize what specimen you should kill first. They slowly move in groups and will eventually reach you if you don't constantly move and if you're not aware of your surroundings.

If there's a group walking towards you, you should always kill the faster moving ones first: Crawlers, Gorefasts and Stalkers. After killing them, focus on the Sirens. Don't bother with the Clots, Bloats or Scrakes, kill the faster ones before and always move and watch your back so you don't get cornered. You can easily headshot the Clots and Bloats with the pistol when the faster specimens are dead. As for the Scrake, it's easy if you have a chainsaw or axe or hunting shotgun etc. Learn to decap Fleshpounds, you can even do it with the knife. If it targets and walk towards you, run away from your team mates and bring it to a calm place to decap it. Don't panic and don't randomly throw grenades or fire the moment you see it. If the FP targets someone else, it won't be as easy to decap it. It will take some time for the FP to rage, just keep cleaning the place and the surroundings of your friends till it comes into close range. This way you'll have a clean area to fight the FP.

Just throwing my 2 cents for the pub games.

Last edited:
A lot of this is common sense to be honest, most players gain this basic knowledge after the first few rounds they play. Most of these tips are rather bland.

This would've been much better if you pointed out which classes should focus on specific mobs. ie; SS Clumped mobs, Commando Stalkers/Crawlers, Berserker Scrake/Fleshpound. And how these classes should deal with them in a group setting.

Upvote 0
Well it was mainly general tips for the average pub games. And yes most of these tips are common sense, which you can't easily find in pub games.

Example: a Fleshpound approaches the group, everyone starts shooting at it without checking their surroundings, their health usually gets under 50 HP if they can kill the FP and then they get surrounded by Scrakes, Sirens and whatnot.

Upvote 0
Different classes have different priorities, but trying to tell the new people this is guaranteed to incite insanity.

Not gonna lie though, I wouldn't mind a quick turn button in game though. If I decide to play with music I pretty much have to rely on visuals, and more than likely 25% of the stalkers will get a hit in. Especially having to play the claymation version of killing floor where you can't see stalker shadows or silhouettes T_T.

Upvote 0
I'd say the the most important tip and habit to get into is to TAKE DOWN GOREFASTS ASAP AS PRIORITY TARGETS! Pronto. These things have replaced crawlers as the top killers on Hard and most players get in a bad habit of thinking that they're just clots with knives. They're not...

They can hit you when you're in a full-out run, close distance with you from a long-range in seconds, and do amazing damage with each hit. I'd usually rather deal with a Fleshpound than a half-dozen Gorefasts (Unless I'm a Berserker, in which case it doesn't really matter...they're all chainsaw fodder!).

Upvote 0
I tend to prioritise targets at the time; depending on the environment, the amount and the state of the specimen/s. Crawlers are probably most annoying, Gorefasts are the most surprising and Sirens are just a pain.

Sharpshooters (Crossbow) are best at killing Sirens at range before they scream. Firebugs (Flamethrower) and Commando (Bullpup) will need to unload a fair amount of ammo to kill Sirens before they are too close to the team. If range isn't the problem, Support can sometimes get the kill with one of the shotguns.

I think Gorefasts can be stunned, but I'm not sure on the specifics. Is it a hit to the upper torso, which may occur from a missed headshot? I've noticed it alot with Sharpshooter and a single Handcannon or occasionally for Commando with Bullpup at close range. The stun tends to stop them from attacking and they even bend over backwards (range/Handcannon) or stand there taking the punishment and bending back slightly (close/Bullpup). It's probably the same animation just the Bullpup's rate of fire makes it loop.

Crawlers? Ew! Step on it! (Dead Space style)

One main problem I've seen frequently on Suidical public servers is when the whole team focuses on a raged Scrake/Fleshpound; this leaves all the other specimens out of control. The victory over the Scrake/Fleshpound is rewarded with Bloat goop, Clot hugs and Stalker grabby hands.

My guess to the solution is to prioritise your perks/players and manage resources effectively. There's always a question of whether you should help out with the immediate threat (Scrake/Fleshpound) or the looming threat (every other specimen). I think this is the common cause behind most later wave wipes on public 6-player Suicidal games, even if the first waves went smoothly with little input.

It's a shame that you'll need to heavily coordinate players at this stage by barking orders instead of most players sharing a common similar target tactics system.

Upvote 0
Sharpshooter - Prio sirens over anything else.
Use LAR for the first waves and if you are good with xbow and know where to aim, use that for later waves to kill scrakes before they reach camp and put two arrows in fleshpounds at long range (one to enrage and one right after it stand up after being enraged). Sharpshooters stun gorefasts (but require multiple bullets to kill one - so leave that for others if possible). Always aim for sirens.

Berserker - Prio scrake over anything else.
Also good at "holding the line", just let stalkers, clots, gorefasts walk into your chainsaw. Good class to act as a meat shield vs fleshpounders. Good class to decapitate flehspounders and survive the 7 seconds of headless rage. Berserker stun gorefasts. Rush to aid your party to stun scrakes.

Firebug - Set everything on fire.
At rank 5 you have a really long range. Use it. Set stuff on fire. All lesser zeds should be dead or atleat half dead by the time they reach the camp. Let others deal with scrakes and fleshpounds. Dont forget to use your nades (but not at swarm of zeds, use them to "push" zeds into swarms so you can set them on fire with your flamethrower). You can also toss nades at point blank range if things go bad.

Commando - Prio close range stalkers and crawlers over anything else.
If a scrake is incomming, kill everything except the scrake - so that your berserker can go in and stun it. If you have an expert xbow sharpshooter, protect him from all clots, gorefasts, crawlers, stalkers and bloats while he take take time to aim for that one-shot siren, scrake or fleshpounder kill.

Medic - Prio healing above anything else.
Don't be affraid to use your own body as a meat shield if things go bad - as long as you have armour you can take more beating than anyone else. If nobody is hurt - do not be affraid to kill stuff that need to be killed. Act best as a secondary commando, sharpshooter or berserker.

Support Spec - Prio groups of close range targets.
Take out loads of enemies at once. Don't waste your shotgun shells on single clots. Good at clearing everything around scrake so berserker can go in and stun them. Hunter shotgun is a strong "finisher" for big game that get too close. Your nades are very good vs fleshpounders.

Upvote 0
If it targets and walk towards you, run away from your team mates and bring it to a calm place to decap it.
I'd say it's better to decap it as soon as possible, as once it rages (which it can do randomly) it will most likely get a hit in whether you take its head off or not.

Dont forget to use your nades (but not at swarm of zeds, use them to "push" zeds into swarms so you can set them on fire with your flamethrower).

You do realise the grenades set enemies alight anyway?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My kill priority is done by killing the ones that will be able to attack me first, first.

I'd still keep an eye on my teammates, though.

A single crawler, stalker or a gorefast which is behind my teammate and about to strike him overrides everything beyond, let's say 10 meters away from me.

Why, you may ask.

Because if I drop it, I am still aware of what is around me and I can still take my opponents down (I may have to take a few steps away but that is fine) and my teammate just avoided a nasty hit and a distraction (letting him focus on shooting/welding/healing someone/whatever) while I am still aware of what is threatening me.

Don't be afraid to cover the backs of your team members! ;)

Upvote 0
I'd still keep an eye on my teammates, though.

A single crawler, stalker or a gorefast which is behind my teammate and about to strike him overrides everything beyond, let's say 10 meters away from me.

Why, you may ask.

Because if I drop it, I am still aware of what is around me and I can still take my opponents down (I may have to take a few steps away but that is fine) and my teammate just avoided a nasty hit and a distraction (letting him focus on shooting/welding/healing someone/whatever) while I am still aware of what is threatening me.

Don't be afraid to cover the backs of your team members! ;)

QFT

Which reminds me - If you see someone taking on a scrake all by himself, the least you can do is cover him so that he isnt going to be disturbed - nothing panics someone more when they are chainsawing a scrake and enemies are attacking him while he knows hes surrounded by able team mates.

Upvote 0
What really bothers me is that if I'm a berserker trying to stun a scrake no one deals with anything else and shoot the scrake, most of the times I have to stop striking because of the crawlers, and so much people shoot the fp's with a bullpup the second they see it, or shoot it while I try to decap it.

Upvote 0
Sharpshooter - Prio sirens over anything else.
Use LAR for the first waves and if you are good with xbow and know where to aim, use that for later waves to kill scrakes before they reach camp and put two arrows in fleshpounds at long range (one to enrage and one right after it stand up after being enraged). Sharpshooters stun gorefasts (but require multiple bullets to kill one - so leave that for others if possible). Always aim for sirens.

Always prioritize Sirens. You can step away from charging gores and hopping crawlers, easily make stalkers strike and miss, but that screaming ho doesn't need to be in your space to kill you. And they're programmed to bunch up. I can't tell you how many times people blank out during FPs, hell - even Scrakes, and simply ignore quickly accumulating Sirens. Suddenly concussive globes x3 annihilate everyone. Got the scrake! Oops, forgot the sirens.

Berserker - Prio scrake over anything else.
Also good at "holding the line", just let stalkers, clots, gorefasts walk into your chainsaw. Good class to act as a meat shield vs fleshpounders. Good class to decapitate flehspounders and survive the 7 seconds of headless rage. Berserker stun gorefasts. Rush to aid your party to stun scrakes.

Adding to the above, again - people seem to 'blank out' like a deer in the headlights when a FP or Scake is in play. I always pity the poor Berserker, well in control of his FP or Scrake, as his dummy teammates insist on shooting the FP or Scrake -- but not protecting the vulnerable Berserker from ANYTHING else. I understand that people want the kills and stuff, but protect the chainsaw fellow's flanks as he deals with melee-distance meat shielding. Stuff pounds the berserker from either side at that range.

Firebug - Set everything on fire.
At rank 5 you have a really long range. Use it. Set stuff on fire. All lesser zeds should be dead or atleat half dead by the time they reach the camp. Let others deal with scrakes and fleshpounds. Dont forget to use your nades (but not at swarm of zeds, use them to "push" zeds into swarms so you can set them on fire with your flamethrower). You can also toss nades at point blank range if things go bad.

Take advantage of that juicy range. Too many firebugs lay down streams about 6-10 feet away, end up blinding everyone nearby and not maximizing the AE. I love the ones that max out the range. Great 'spotters' in the process.

Commando - Prio close range stalkers and crawlers over anything else.
If a scrake is incomming, kill everything except the scrake - so that your berserker can go in and stun it. If you have an expert xbow sharpshooter, protect him from all clots, gorefasts, crawlers, stalkers and bloats while he take take time to aim for that one-shot siren, scrake or fleshpounder kill.

Yes, commando should be the aforementioned killer of fodder as the berserker shuts down a Scrake. Also some outstanding xbow shooters that can stun/stagger/1-shot with amazing precision.

Medic - Prio healing above anything else.
Don't be affraid to use your own body as a meat shield if things go bad - as long as you have armour you can take more beating than anyone else. If nobody is hurt - do not be affraid to kill stuff that need to be killed. Act best as a secondary commando, sharpshooter or berserker.

It's funny. I see many lvl 5 Medics that rarely, so rarely heal teammates. Usually just themselves. I don't know if it's the anti-climax of not having to heal any more for the Perk, or maybe these are small-sacked medics that used perk leveling servers...but I see it a lot. Medics can be devastating as secondary commandos and berserkers.
For those that do heal: Do your Medics a favor as you see them incoming to heal you -- stop and duck for a moment. Most convenient way for them, and they'll spot you.

Support Spec - Prio groups of close range targets.
Take out loads of enemies at once. Don't waste your shotgun shells on single clots. Good at clearing everything around scrake so berserker can go in and stun them. Hunter shotgun is a strong "finisher" for big game that get too close. Your nades are very good vs fleshpounders.

Yes, glorious mass clearance at mid-to-closer range.

Upvote 0