• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix chainsaw nubs

Private_Joker

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
Don't nerf the chainsaw's power, just make it require some skill. That is to say, any skill at all. Make the secondary attack--the finite swipe that has to be timed and aimed--the only kind of attack that the chainsaw has. Maybe replace the primary attack by a quick thrust with a downward motion (your mother) as a chainsaw is usually used, and leave the secondary attack to do a heavy swipe at the neck for more damage. At least this way zerks would have to pay attention to playing and not just let the kills come to them while other players sit bored with nothing to kill.

-Joker

Last edited:
LOL the chainsaw is perfect ! its the MAIN WEAPON OF BERSEKER !

all class got a main item ....

Why you suggest that ? because your angry some people take your kill ?

The chainsaw cost 1k with no perk ... So its not overpowered because you need to pay it a lot with no perk ... and about the flame trower ? u can kill a lot of ennemi too ... its not overpowered too ...

I never have see people sit and wait their killl ....

Dont lie ...

AND its not overpowered ! its like all main weapon ! and berseker dont got a very good weapon exept that one ! And katana still not better then chainsaw !

Upvote 0
I think it would just make way more sense for the chainsaw to have fuel. It runs on gas and yet it never runs out.

Make the ammo last a good while (much longer than, say, the flamethrower), but make it more expensive. (I'm sure gasoline/petrol would fetch quite a premium in a "holy ****, let's get outta this place" situation.)

Upvote 0
AND its not overpowered ! its like all main weapon ! and berseker dont got a very good weapon exept that one ! And katana still not better then chainsaw !

I think the complaint is that the other classes main weapons at least require that you aim and keep an eye on your ammo counter. The chainsaw does not.

And we don't know how good the katana is yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You dont need watch out your life normally if you are not rambo when shoot with a gun ...

In berseker u need go directly on the ennemi ... so you lose life ...

so losing life and ammo ?? no thks ...

If you're just running straight at the enemy you're pretty much ramboing and deserve to die. Just because you fight in close range, doesn't mean you don't stick with the team.

Upvote 0
I think the complaint is that the other classes main weapons at least require that you aim and keep an eye on your ammo counter. The chainsaw does not.

Actually the complaint is that it's boring. I'd rather watch my teammate put his life in the hands of his skills than watch a zerk just stand there as zeds just walk up to him and die. The chainsaw is too easy. Support is overpowered too, but at least you need the skill of timing your reloads and placing your shots to make it work. Zerks have no such restraints.

-Joker

Upvote 0
Chainsaw is fine. Who said it was being nerfed? And wielding the chainsaw does require skill, unless you just stand in the doorway and slash everything that comes that way, or if you crouch in your little corner and slash everything up.

Berserkers also get rolled by Sirens if you aren't fast enough to kill it.

Upvote 0
I'd like it if the chainsaw could overheat for a while, that way you wouldn't hear people constantly holding primary fire all the time driving you insane with the constant droning.
I agree. Either that, or it should be able to run out of gas.

I was quite disappointed when I found out it didn't have "ammo" (fuel).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really don't like the idea of tuning down the chainsaw. Yeah, the berserker is godly at level 5 with his chainsaw, mowing through fields of the weak zeds. BUT, as was said before, he really puts himself in harms way. 6 people playing together on hard or suicidal difficulty, and you have to face a fleshpounder with a chainsaw. You WILL be getting hurt, if you're being attacked by him, and you can't kill him quick enough to not take significant damage. This isn't even going into the difficulty of facing the Patriarch with the chainsaw. I pretty much always change my class during the Patriarch round, since I know my berserk is going to be slaughtered.

Besides, ANY class can tear through the weaker zeds. Just cause you have a beef with the berserk doesn't mean it should be nerfed. Besides, I find Firebugs to be the biggest pain in the rear when I'm a berserker. Nothing like all that fire everywhere to blind you, not to mention, they decimate hordes of weaker zeds, even quicker than a berserker.

Upvote 0
I think they should change it too, maybe have the battery light thing but for the chainsaw too, 10 seconds of chainsaw sounds reasonable, and a slower alt fire sounds resonable too, i say change it... I am a berserker i play one 90% of the time, and i love it, what i don't love is every none berserker picking up the chainsaw and being superawesome man... chainsaw OP in my op :)

Upvote 0
Considering that a berserker has to be in harms way to use his chainsaw, I don't find it overpowered. It's great against weak specimens with berserker perk and mows them down very easily, but unless you actually think about what you are doing, you will end up dead if you don't see that siren(s) behind that bloat puking on you or behind that swarm of gorefasts in your face or the scrake you are chopping into pieces.

Now with a non berserker you will have to aim for the head hit box (at least on hard/suicidal) unless you enjoy getting hit by gorefasts and scrakes.

With all the other weapons you are at a safe distance (usually) or at least have room for choosing your targets that are most dangerous to focus on. No need to get more specific than mentioning Flamethrower, shotgun and hunting shotgun in the right hands.

I think that is a fair trade.

Upvote 0
You know, the chainsaw isn't nearly as powerful with another class as it is with the berserker, which should be obvious.
And a berserker with a chainsaw is VERY vulnerable to certain enemies. This is where teamwork comes into play.
I think what we need to do, is find out just how long a chainsaw runs in real life, with the throttle held all the way down, with a full tank of gas. If the thing runs a good hour, or a half hour, or whatever, then it'd be reasonable to assume the chainsaw in the game wouldn't run out of fuel during a match.
I personally don't run around with the primary fire held down all the time, I only have it going when I need it. Shoot, half the time I don't even have it out, but rather, the knife, as I can't hear anything when the chainsaw is out.

I really don't think we need a timer, or fuel, or anything that restricts the use of the chainsaw. It would nerf a class, and I think that's the last thing we need. Lets make other classes better, not cripple one class. Especially since the class doesn't need any crippling. So it can tear through the weak mobs pretty easily, so can every other class. Scrakes are about the only stronger enemy that the berserker can take on easily, and he's the only class that can take him on without taking much damage.

On the flipside, the berserker is the one class that takes more damage than anyone(potentially at least. If they have a different target obviously the berserker isn't going to be hit.) against a fleshpounder or the patriarch.

Upvote 0