• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Guide to Headshots with pictures.

Bingo. That's a certain way to get, at the very least, mauled badly. Play on Hard before you suggest gung-ho stuff like that...

It works on hard. At least with a level 5 sharpshooter. If I don't take him down with a crossbow, I take out dual handcannons and drop him with 7-8 hits when he charges me. It also stuns him just like a chainsaw and I don't take any damage. If you use dual handcannons on an undamaged scrake then yeah, he will carve you up while you're reloading.

Upvote 0
I think the hitboxes are actually rather close to where they should be.
Think about it, if you shoot someone in the forehead, does his head come off? No!(Not generally)
If you shoot him in the neck/jaw, you would have a much higher chance of decapitating him, wouldn't you think?

True, but surely shooting the freaks in the forehead would do the most damage to their motor skills, something not coveed in the game...

Upvote 0
Yes, seeing as motor skills don't pertain to the game, that is somewhat of a moot point.
But again, decapitation would nevertheless be easier when shooting at the neck.

Well, first off, the "decapitation" on here is almost always more of the "head explosion" variety unless you're using a melee weapon, so that doesn't really matter.

Second, shooting something in the forehead, no matter how you look at it, should be a headshot. No ifs, ands, or buts. The fact that it isn't is stupid...

Upvote 0
Well - as a sharpshooter - you could just go up to the scrake, melee style, and shoot it in the head with your hand cannon until it dies ;)

Actually I've found a much easier way to take down Scrakes, and it involves the xbow. You can easily one-shot them on Suicidal, feasibly taking down two or three at the same time (I've done two, myself)

Shot00036.bmp

I know it sounds wacky, but you actually have to shoot the air beside his left ear. If you think of his head and shoulder as two sides to a triangle, shooting anywhere around the middle of the hypotenuse guarantees a one-shot kill.

NOTE: This can be done with any class, but I've only one-shotted the Scrake with a level 5 sharpshooter. As any other class, it will take two hits like this, but it is worth mentioning that a different class using this technique will get the stun effect that the chainsaw does for the first hit, leaving the Scrake immobile and easily taken down.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is how you do it.

Well - I knew from the SDK it would only take one shot to kill it, but it required quite a lot of trial and error before i figured out where to land the shots, but since then i pretty much one-shot all scrakes in every wave using the xbow. They never reach our team (poor berserker watch all them scrakes die long before they enter melee rage). Atleast as long as i have a great bodyguard that keep all them crawlers, stalkers, clots, gorefasts and bloats away from me while i snipe. I just love good commando players! :)

(It is a bit tricky when he is after someone else though, so stepping up to melee range and stun a enraged scrake using your handcannons is still viable in some situations).

On open maps such as west london I also three shot fleshpounds (in 6 player hard) before they reach any of my team members.

...I pretty much depend on my team to kill everything else but sirens, scrakes and fleshpounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shot00036.bmp

yes this is the exact place I was shooting him, the last day I 1-shoted about 6 scrakes on hard/log wave 8/10 on 4(or 5 dunno)-man team where as a lv4 sharpshooter

you casn be sure they had full health because only 2 of us (sharpshooters) were alive at the time

I always 1-shoot tem by shooting that ˝air˝, strangely they never lose the head though

Upvote 0
Shot00036.bmp

Now, if you look carefully, you see the vertical line on the crossbow crosshair... For me, It would seem that when that line is in the middle between Scrake's feet and the horizontal line is around his eye/nose level I can one-shot kill a Scrake fairly consistently.

I have a theory about this: As you can see, on the model the head of the Scrake is tilted a bit off-center. I have a feeling the hitbox is still in the middle of the top of the hitbox "cylinder", which makes it a bit tricky to find the "real" head hitbox. Pretty much the same way it is with the Gorefast model.

Upvote 0
I have a theory about this: As you can see, on the model the head of the Scrake is tilted a bit off-center. I have a feeling the hitbox is still in the middle of the top of the hitbox "cylinder", which makes it a bit tricky to find the "real" head hitbox. Pretty much the same way it is with the Gorefast model.
Yes, i support this theory. They both have huge weaponry in their right arm making them tilt to the right (our left) while the center of the mob is still where the headshot hitbox is located, to the left (our right) of their actual head.

Upvote 0