• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tips on playing the Medic

Stryker159

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
Considering i usually play medic, and there isnt a section up for them yet, i thaught i'd put up a few tips on how to play a good medic.

- Tell the team your playing medic and you will heal them. Let them know your actually here to help the team.

- Assess the situation before rushing in to heal someone. No point in rushing in to that beserker who is surrouned by a skrake, 3 gorefasts, 2 crawlers and a siren to attempt a heal, as you will likely get yourself killed as well.

- When moving in to heal someone, watch where they are moving and Do Not Block Them. Blocking someone when healing when they are backpedeling away for a group or gorefasts will likely allow them to catch up and make mince meat of your teammate.

- Know when to take a hit for someone else. Being a medic we have 10-50% better armour (perk level dependant) so we can take more of a beating then most classes. If a Zerker is around, let them do it though :p

when it comes to weapons, as medics dont get any weapon related perks just use whatever feels best for you. I personaly use LAR/HC/Xbow, but running with bulpup or shotgun works just as well. Focus on killing off Crawlers and Sirens when not healing.

More then happy to add more to the list that pop up in the thread.

good job, i like most of it but i disagree a little

- Assess the situation before rushing in to heal someone. No point in rushing in to that beserker who is surrouned by a skrake, 3 gorefasts, 2 crawlers and a siren to attempt a heal, as you will likely get yourself killed as well.
Personally I think if you are skilled enough you can pull this off. Me and my friend who plays berserker always do this, and he does die sometimes but most of the time we kill them all and have health to spare. Just make sure if their health is dropping too low, run. And use your speed to your advantage :D

- When moving in to heal someone, watch where they are moving and Do Not Block Them. Blocking someone when healing when they are backpedeling away for a group or gorefasts will likely allow them to catch up and make mince meat of your teammate.
THIS IS BIG PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS!!!

when it comes to weapons, as medics dont get any weapon related perks just use whatever feels best for you. I personaly use LAR/HC/Xbow, but running with bulpup or shotgun works just as well. Focus on killing off Crawlers and Sirens when not healing.
I prefer bulpup cuz its quick to just spam. Also, if you don't have a good commando, get those stalkers that come up from behind.

I'd also like to add that although medics are mainly healers, don't be afraid to just start shooting things. A good team doens't need healing 24/7 so have some fun :D

Upvote 0
I suggest trying Medic with pistol only. Believe it or not, the 9mm pistol is pretty powerful when used properly. It does half the damage as Handcannon, but hold twice the ammo, shoots faster, is more accurate, and has half the recoil.

Most importantly, playing pistol only means you have only 1 weight block and you run that much faster. Basically, it means that your weapons won't do all the work for you, but your speed and your accuracy are the resources you need to make your skills work. It's delightfully challenging :)

-Joker

Upvote 0
When i play sharpshooter i sometimes play "combat support medic" by going with the team berserker and focus my time and effort on decapitation of bloats, shooting crawlers and killing sirens (my objective is that the berserker never should feel the need to switch out of his chainsaw). If we both do our job right neither of us will be hurt.

Weapons i find work best for this are crossbow (for shooting sirens even if they have cover by other zeds), handcannon (crawlers, and as sharpshooter also stalkers, die by one bodyshot of this excellent gun. It also stun gorefasts which i use to buy my berserker some time), 9mm (to decapitate bloats with) and a handgrenade (zeds avoid nades by nature. Unless there are any sirens close you can use this as a tactical advantage by throwing one behind the scrake when the berserker rush up to it. Not so much to score kills, but rather as a distraction to make sure the berserker get his 3 seconds alone with the scrake).

I guess this outfit would be good for the "combat support oriented" medic as well. However, if there is no berserker in the party i think you should consider using a chainsaw (for stunning scrakes) and a bullpup, handcannon(s) or LAR (for killing crawlers, some stalkers and mabye a siren or two).

While playing sharpshooter "combat support medic" i would probably already have my sights on the siren (sharpshooters highest prio target) with my trusty crossbow. Then i would either toss a nade at the berserker and hope he survive long enough but most likely use my handcannons to kill the two crawlers (one shot each) and keep the three gorefasts stunned until the scrake dies. And then, if no other crawlers or sirens are nearby, heal the berserker.

Upvote 0
I suggest trying Medic with pistol only. Believe it or not, the 9mm pistol is pretty powerful when used properly. It does half the damage as Handcannon, but hold twice the ammo, shoots faster, is more accurate, and has half the recoil.
Yes. Medics are much about speed. Less weight = More speed.

I play mainly sharpshooter and i use 9mm alot to one-shot-decapitate Crawlers, Stalkers, Clots and Bloats.

However, my handcannon(s) kill both crawlers and stalkers with a single bodyshot. And on early waves i will use a LAR - and this rifle in the hands of a skilled sharpshooter kill clots with a single bodyshot (at hard, not suicidal). So in reality i most of the time only use 9mm to decapitate bloats or for target practice on maps that allow time to aim/kite - or if i am about to run out of bullets.

Gorefasts are a bit tricky to decapitate due to their fast speed and wiggly (is that a word?) run style so you should most of the time leave them for other perks more suited to kill them (at later waves as sharpshooter i most of the time leave them to other more suitied perks too, only shooting at them once to stun them if anyone, including myself, is in danger of it).

Scrakes and Flehspounds have too much hp, you probably only waste ammo to shoot 9mm at them (unless they are after you that is ;)).

I will try my medic using only 9mm a few hours. BRB :)

Upvote 0
I will try my medic using only 9mm a few hours. BRB :)
Serious speed. Serious fun :D

Despite my best efforts (even placed myself between a critically hurt team member and three gorefasts at one point) at wave 7/10 on a west london hard run all my team died with 95 zeds left and i had to solo them. Good headshot practice. Got comments like "omg that lv 5 medic is superfast", "nice, 7 head shots in a row now" and "lol, they should play the benny hill theme song" :) When it was down 4 scrakes my 9mm ammo ran out. Tried to stab em with my dagger but that didnt really work out well.

Picked up a flamer and a handcannon laying on the ground and finished them off with a bit over

Upvote 0
Serious speed. Serious fun :D

Despite my best efforts (even placed myself between a critically hurt team member and three gorefasts at one point) at wave 7/10 on a west london hard run all my team died with 95 zeds left and i had to solo them. Good headshot practice. Got comments like "omg that lv 5 medic is superfast", "nice, 7 head shots in a row now" and "lol, they should play the benny hill theme song" :) When it was down 4 scrakes my 9mm ammo ran out. Tried to stab em with my dagger but that didnt really work out well.

Picked up a flamer and a handcannon laying on the ground and finished them off with a bit over

Upvote 0
you call that amazing, thats what most of us do every day 95 zombies isnt much anyway

I remember in days when scrake was still weak and FPs didnt enrage for no reason, on manor normal 32-player server I was left against 100+ zombies, mostly folowed by 5+ FPs

I just had lever-action rifle, and I was just: headshot, headshot, run repeat

now that was insane, had to even run around the house to find ammo

luckily there werent many crawlers

took me a whole hour and I always missed school that day when we hard it in the afternoon :p

You missed school because it took you -an hour- to kill 100+ zombies? I wouldn't be raising yourself on a higher pedestal than monolithos, champ.

Not only were you up against them before the update, but it's no big thing to get headshot after headshot with a lever-action--any halfway decent player can do the same thing.

Monolithos here took down 95+ after the patch, with sped-up gorefasts, raging fleshpounds, and stronger and more aggressive Scrakes. Used to be people could do that all day every day, but the patch made it much more difficult to do so.

Srsly dude, get off the high horse for a while, props to monolithos, I at least know it's difficult to do that lately.

Upvote 0

Most importantly, playing pistol only means you have only 1 weight block and you run that much faster. Basically, it means that your weapons won't do all the work for you, but your speed and your accuracy are the resources you need to make your skills work. It's delightfully challenging :)

-Joker

Interesting, I'm definitely trying this out tonight. I'm thinking of getting dual handcannons as backup for later waves though, it's only 4 blocks.

Upvote 0
Personally I think if you are skilled enough you can pull this off. Me and my friend who plays berserker always do this, and he does die sometimes but most of the time we kill them all and have health to spare. Just make sure if their health is dropping too low, run. And use your speed to your advantage :D

tbh, in a good team the zerker shouldn't have that much around him but I cant just add tips relating to just good, well communicative groups now can I :p

Upvote 0

-Joker

Interesting, I'm definitely trying this out tonight. I'm thinking of getting dual handcannons as backup for later waves though, it's only 4 blocks.

Just tried this out tonight, it's awesome!

Here's a video of me finishing off a wave after everyone else died. I picked up a bullpup halfway or so through just for the ammo.

I'd watch it on Youtube, this embedded screen is way too small.

YouTube - Killing Floor - Solo Finish w/ Lvl 5 Medic

Here's another short one of actually playing medic to keep a Support guy alive:

YouTube - Killing Floor - Medic

West London on Hard:

YouTube - Killing Floor - Solo Finish w/ lvl 5 Medic (Hard)

Last edited:
Upvote 0