• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bold new specimen idea

Alex2501

Jul 27, 2009
I realize this may be difficult to code for the A.I. but I thought I'd at least give it a shot. I'm thinking of a flying specimen to replace the Patriarch. The specimen would have no ranged weapons but would swoop in and maul the player, if the player has low enough health, the specimen will grab them, fly off, and eat them alive.

I'm thinking it should resemble a cross between a spider and the flying Deadite from Army of Darkness (You know the one that abducts the girl and brings her to Evil Ash).

One thing that would add a lot to the specimen would be how it summoned other specimens. I think it should have two ways of doing so: A howl that summons a bunch of them. Or, when it has successfully killed a player, it should take his body, eat it, and then puke out a MASSIVE horde of enhanced Crawlers (they are slightly faster and take more damage).

no offense, but none of that makes any sense. why would it puke out specimens? specimens are human clones(sometimes with foreign dna admixtures) created in labs that mutate or are experimented on.

and the patriarch is the original scientist guy who headed the project. imo, this would cheapen the atmosphere of the game.

also, this is just my own theory, but i always find zombie creatures are more scary when they are incapable of reasoning(you can't negotiate with them) and they lack all semblance of humanity and don't call out for reinforcement or anything...their priority would be to kill humans and nothing else, period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do, too.

A simple comparison with movies will explain this. Would you like to watch a movie with a consistent plot and storyline, or 2 hours of ninjas, mutants, zombies, old ladies, kittens, mimes and firemen just running around and screaming for no particular reason with no story, or a story so inconsistent one would think the script must have fallen on the ground and mixed up with no-one bothered to sort the pages?

This suggestion would completely and utterly destroy the background story.
And I have yet to see the first zombie in the game.

Adding something just because "It is awesome/cool" doesn't always work. :p

Upvote 0
I do aswell i actually want a storyline that TWI said they wouldnt make :/ or whoever lol

a flying patraich? are you ****ing mad? rocket launcher + minigun + wings? Dude wtf?

Flying specimens are too much, I would think the patraich would have thought about it and started to think it was retarded, when all he needed was a helicopter with Fleshpounds o_O lol

Puking out specimens is very retarded :/ crawlers could have died o_O i mean bloats kill any specimen it throws up on sooo im guessing flying wouldnt be a diffrence.

Flying Clones are just too fantasy for this type of game lol. :)

Upvote 0
I do, too.

A simple comparison with movies will explain this. Would you like to watch a movie with a consistent plot and storyline, or 2 hours of ninjas, mutants, zombies, old ladies, kittens, mimes and firemen just running around and screaming for no particular reason with no story, or a story so inconsistent one would think the script must have fallen on the ground and mixed up with no-one bothered to sort the pages?

This suggestion would completely and utterly destroy the background story.
And I have yet to see the first zombie in the game.

Adding something just because "It is awesome/cool" doesn't always work. :p

If those ninjas were pissed off and the old lady was a martial arts master it would be the best movie ever, so long as we leave out the horribly emo background stories. (Which seems to be you point anyway)

And are you guys honestly telling me you care about character development in KF? Like the clot decides to turn to the good side. Originally there was a story that was not touched upon in the game and it was pretty sweet, but it should stay away from the game (Or at least the multiplayer aspect) and why would it not make sense for the patriarch NOT to turn up? Its a countrywide infection and I'm sure he has things to do other than avenge a few soldiers. Rather than new weapons or characters I would much rather have something like a new gametype or boss.

Upvote 0
If those ninjas were pissed off and the old lady was a martial arts master it would be the best movie ever, so long as we leave out the horribly emo background stories. (Which seems to be you point anyway)

And are you guys honestly telling me you care about character development in KF? Like the clot decides to turn to the good side. Originally there was a story that was not touched upon in the game and it was pretty sweet, but it should stay away from the game (Or at least the multiplayer aspect) and why would it not make sense for the patriarch NOT to turn up? Its a countrywide infection and I'm sure he has things to do other than avenge a few soldiers. Rather than new weapons or characters I would much rather have something like a new gametype or boss.

I agree with chicken, it never lies. And it tastes good.
Like Chinese food.

Upvote 0

Congratulations for missing it completely :D

I was more referring adding something just because it is "cool" without thinking if it fits the setting first. It would just lead into a disaster like Jones Christmas Ham flavour soda.

Upvote 0
Although I think that replacing the Patriarch would be a BAD idea, I do like the idea of changing his abilities around from time to time -- so that his fight is more unpredictable.

I think summons would be a really cool addition to the battle. Perhaps when he disappears to go heal, he "summons" some suped up version of Crawlers or Gorefasts for the players to deal with. That would be sweet! It would certainly mix things up a bit.

It's just that the Patriarch battles tend to feel more stale than they need to be -- shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot!! **** he disappeared. Oh he's back! SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!! Damn he's gone again. Time to wait!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind if they even went the easy route and made the patriarch more difficult. Maybe allowing him to run and gun, 'cause frankly on suicidal the challenge is getting to him rather than beating him. He's just way too simple.

Also maybe bring back his old run style, Kinda looks like he as a stick up his butt to be honest. Might also be interesting to have him run all the time instead of half the time.

Upvote 0
Congratulations for missing it completely :D

I was more referring adding something just because it is "cool" without thinking if it fits the setting first. It would just lead into a disaster like Jones Christmas Ham flavour soda.

No you miss the point, I'm trying to say that a chaotic movie featuring cool things like grandmothers would be good. And that I'd rather the gameplay in killing floor became more varied not just by adding "cool" new weapons like Katanas.

Upvote 0
umm it sound intresting but it seems it would be too much a pain to do it. im mean not only to make this winged monster but to beat i mean its the only map this would work on is farm and then this seems like it would be to hard to defeat aiming at a flying enemy and the idea that it carries away the weak seem a little extreme.

No pain no gain imo!

Upvote 0
stop taking popular maxims out of context and applying them to situations that don't make sense. it would work if the topic was bodybuilding as working out overextends your muscle and causes fatigue, but eventually you gain more muscle. this is a video game. how does that quote work here? that's like saying they should introduce a monster with 60000hps that you can't possibly defeat. a game isn't supposed to be pain, it's supposed to be fun. pain and fun are mutually exclusive and only one condition can exist within a game environment. do you want this game to have ridiculous monsters so that you get frustrated or do you want it to have balance and actual thought put behind the monster's attributes? balance is everything in a game.

Upvote 0
stop taking popular maxims out of context and applying them to situations that don't make sense. it would work if the topic was bodybuilding as working out overextends your muscle and causes fatigue, but eventually you gain more muscle. this is a video game. how does that quote work here? that's like saying they should introduce a monster with 60000hps that you can't possibly defeat. a game isn't supposed to be pain, it's supposed to be fun. pain and fun are mutually exclusive and only one condition can exist within a game environment. do you want this game to have ridiculous monsters so that you get frustrated or do you want it to have balance and actual thought put behind the monster's attributes? balance is everything in a game.

Capital letters......

And he did not suggest a monster with over 9000 health points. He suggested a viable alternative to the patriarch, even f you did not like the idea then surely you are not telling me you would not like to see content added? I think that if we had another form of boss creature right now and the OP suggested a bespectacled giant with a chaingun and a LAW strapped in his *** you would say the exact same thing.

Pain
1. An unpleasant sensation occurring in varying degrees of severity as a consequence of injury, disease, or emotional disorder.
2. Suffering or distress.

Gain
1.That which is gained, obtained, or acquired, as increase, profit, advantage, or benefit

Meaning you stress yourself out by frantically trying to kill an immense creature and are rewarded with the great satisfaction of...... killing an immense creature. I guess it kind of works, so what was the point in even picking up on that?

Upvote 0
No you miss the point, I'm trying to say that a chaotic movie featuring cool things like grandmothers would be good. And that I'd rather the gameplay in killing floor became more varied not just by adding "cool" new weapons like Katanas.

I was talking about Killing floor and only used a movie as an example. Killing Floor is not supposed to be wacky / random /cool, it is supposed to be a fast-paced action survival(-horror) game. For random and funny things there is always www.rathergood.com and http://www.weebls-stuff.com/. :D

Upvote 0