• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-GimpLab Inc.

little space
no time to rest
massive hordes
many details

DOWNLOAD

kf1.jpg

kf2.jpg

kf3.jpg

kf4.jpg

kf5.jpg

kf6.jpg

Last edited:
This map has some issues.

First, the geometry. There are quite a few places that exist that make sense only in light of gameplay mechanics, but detract from the level because otherwise they'd be totally random places with no practicality. For example one area has what looks like a long shaft heading straight up into the ceiling. This would make sense for spawns, but just doesn't belong at all. Another example is some kind of tunnel that heads into the wall...it doesn't look like the wall is broken, because it's a cubic cut into the geometry. It could have been a vent shaft for crawler spawns, but instead it went sideways and you could see the shaft through some metal grating, which looked like it went to a dead end. That didn't make sense either.

Second, the detail. Your idea of detail is placing a lot of static meshes. It's true, that is what you get when you have good detail: a lot of meshes. But you couldn't seem to settle on a theme. Some places made sense, with meshes in one room that had a theme or similarity in common. Other places, it seemed like you tried to cram a bunch of random meshes into one area with no actual plan for the room. You also have no projectors whatsoever, and although it's not necessary for a good map, it's a lack of detail. No blood or projected images takes away from any story you might be trying to tell. The final thought on detail: some of your textures are too large and need to be downsized.

Third, the optimization. You don't have any zones at all. This means that anytime someone looks into the main room, their FPS will drop, because the game needs to render everything in the level at once. Mine don't because my PC is good, but my brother's laptop (which is no joke either) drops from about 80 to 40 when he walks into that main room.

Also, dead ends for KF = bad. If you notice in any of the stock maps, there are virtually no dead ends. You have several rooms, however, that are just rooms. Walk in, nothing there, walk out. The player(s) might get backed up into a corner, but then he's screwed. I don't think this is too big a deal in your map, because it's small to begin with, but you might want to look into it.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0