• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Pawn questions

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
Hi,
how can I make a pawn respawn at a certain location after a certain amount of time?

And how can I have a pawn in my map without changing how the map is being played (I basically want him as deco and the player can never get into contact with him so I don't want to have to kill him to get the first wave started)?

And how can I have a pawn in my map without changing how the map is being played (I basically want him as deco and the player can never get into contact with him so I don't want to have to kill him to get the first wave started)?

Are you talking a player pawn or a specimen pawn? In KF_enginetest, there are both kinds of pawns that are inactive. They have no animations, take no damage and have no effect on the waves. In the case of brit_soldier1, I'm not even sure he puts his arms down when you place him in the map and run it.

That what you were asking for?

I have no clue on how to get pawns to respawn.

Upvote 0
place a pawn in map as variable "StartDisabled"

This disables the pawn, until he sees a player. So if you hide him behind a static mesh, he cant see you. He will just stare and breath.

Make a AI Script for him, tell him to be killed on a certain event/time, then respawn another pawn at a given location (or make a scripted trigger to spawn where it is placed)

Upvote 0
Im using Pawns and AI Scripting in my map.

Its a combination of Scripted Triggers and AI Controlers.

IrritAnt has the right idea. DESTROYPAWN action does just remove the pawn, even the ragdoll.

Best thing to try is to Damage the pawn, that way you can select the death type. Or damage.

Now the confusing part, is that if you want your Pawn to do specific things, like follow paths, and cause animations, you have to use a KFSoldierFriendly.

With the KFSoldierFriendly you then have to change the mesh of the HumanPlayer to your Clot/Bloat/Etc.

Using the original pawns of the enemy dont follow AI Scripting or commands for some reason. But changing it to a KFSoldierFriendly works.

Upvote 0
Oh my, this is complicated...

I hope I'm not asking for too much, but can you give me a simplified almost-step-by-step instruction of how to get the following situation working:

Specimen stands around, hidden from view, doing nothing, until a human player triggers a trigger.
Then the specimen walks to a PathNode and dies.
120 seconds later a new specimen spawns where the first one started out.

This should not affect gameplay in the slightest. It all happens in a room that cannot be entered.

Upvote 0
1. Add a Pawn "KFSoldierFriendly"
2. Change KFSoldierFriendly mesh to Whatever zombie you want.
3. Place your KFSoldierFriendly where you want him, and set his Tag name to MyZombie

4. Add a AI Script
5. Link your KFSoldierFriendly to your AIScript

AI Script:
0 - Wait for trigger (human trigger)
1 - Force Move To Point (path node) (OR MAYBE even any tag on an object?)
2 - Wait For Timer (figure out how long it takes to get there)
3 - Damage Instigator (This SHOULD gibb him with 100 damage)
4 - Wait For Timer (120seconds)
5 - Trigger Event (spawn new zombie *Read 7*)

New Spawn (place this where your old pawn was)
Scripted Trigger

0 - Wait For Event (Your last event in the AI Script)
1 - SpawnActor (This can be either a normal KF.Pawn OR Better still... make your own childclass of the KFSoldierFriendly, and have that spawn)

8. Play!

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

I am not sure about the static mesh. However if you pull the texture of the solider and redesign it to what you want and save it again in your folder. Then select on it and apply as a skin. I have been wanting to change the trader for a map I am thinking about. I know how however I do not have the know how to make skin textures yet. I have read people being able to chop off parts of static meshes. I also know mappers who have take static meshes and changed them. Like Dex who took the old trader and put its arms down instead of sideways like a scarecrow.

I have a Brit Solider and a couple of crawlers in mine that are breakables. You shoot them and they blow up with blood and body parts. I do not have them re spawning.

Here is a question for you. After break a window what setting do you do to have it re spawn every round?

I have also taken a moving animation and applied the name of the ai to it. Like the old stalker. I took a camera and changed the name. It come up however it is not animated. I would just like to get these to come up with what animation you pick. Like the but slap. How funny would that be. Trader slapping her but as she goes come on in big fellas. LOL

Upvote 0