• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Conveying the sense of smell and mental state.

Zell

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Maine, USA
I have not posted here in a long time, and I have high hopes for the single-player campaign in RO:HOS, here. I'm extremely excited about it, and I just had an idea that I hope receives good reviews. Warning: essay ahead. I'll space it out for easier reading.

I love the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Easily my favorite single-player experience in a game, ever. And that can be attributed completely to the incredibly tangible atmosphere in the game. The atmosphere was created more or less through the use of the 'mental state' system, wherein if your avatar view particularly horrific sights then he would suffer mild panic attacks that got worst as you went on (eventually leading to chattering teeth, your character talking to himself, and even straight-up suicide). If you looked at a flayed body too long, your vision got blurry as you got queasy. If you were too high up, you suffered vertigo and tunnel vision made it harder to balance. If you have played the game, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways.

I think the streets of Stalingrad would be a perfect place to have a system like this. Nothing extreme like in CoC: DCotE, but certainly noticable. And instead of horrific imagery affecting your playing (since HoS is not a horror game), it would be intense combat that does it. Stuck behind cover, being suppressed should have a lasting effect on your combat. In RO as it is, all it does is blur your vision momentarily and as soon as it stops you're fine. It should be that the more consistently you're suppressed and bullets fly around you, the worse your performance gets until the enemy in question is dead (or you are). You should not be able to pop your head up and shoot back accurately the instant a machine-gunner stops firing, because holy s*** holy s*** he might open fire the instant I expose myself. Making movement and aim shaky while under constant suppression would make it a very effective combat strategy, unlike other games where flanking can be completely rejected because of the uncannily iron nerves of the enemy soldiers.

I wish to make it abundantly clear that this is not something that happens to your character when he is shot at a few times. It is only something that happens when under CONSTANT suppression from, say, an MG-42 or several soldiers with automatic weapons.

Another thought about the mental state of soldiers, is to have strange things start happening to the state of your avatar the more you fight. If you fight ineffectively (suppressed (as explained above) too many times in a row) then you start to do things someone would do in a situation like that. Movements would maybe be sluggish or uncoordinated (to imply terror). You guys can think of ways to flesh this out, I can't think of anything at this time. I just think it would be very interesting to have your character's ability to fight actually be affected over time by how well you're playing.

Now, sense of smell. This one has never been done in a game that I can think of before. I read a thread earlier (wrecked tanks) where someone mentioned using tank carcasses as traps with machine guns, then someone else said they could be booby-trapped with gasoline so they explode. I thought this was interesting, since there's no way to smell gasoline in a game, despite it having a very noticable smell in real life. So, I thought there should be a way to convey your avatar smelling something particularly noticable through first-person animations. Covering up the nose with the sleeve, for example. Obviously this is something that would be purely cosmetic (but still very important to gameplay as it might prevent you from dying) and as soon as you fire your weapon the hand drops and you continue normally. The arm would only go up to the nose if the player hasn't fired his weapon or sprinted within the last 5 seconds. Or if the player isn't under fire at the time.

Anyways. If these are terrible ideas, so be it. It is a suggestion box after all. No harm, no foul. :)

well Darkest Hour does a great job on supression imo

and i really like the call of cthulhu idea

would be pretty damn athmospheric if you could actually notice the effect the horrible battles of stalingrad have on your charracter

i have heard you can order your squad similar to BiA and now imagine this:

your squad gets under heavy supression and it would be suicidal to change position now
but despite this you still order your squad somewhere
what about having the panick and refuse to go anywhere?
one or 2 soldiers screaming in terror that they wont go anywhere, covering themselfes and just fall into panick?

maybe you could even slap them and get them back to reality again?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You should not be able to pop your head up and shoot back accurately the instant a machine-gunner stops firing, because holy s*** holy s*** he might open fire the instant I expose myself.

Taking away control from player = NO.

Suppression effects = yes.
Artificially preventing player from doing things because you're telling him he's too afraid = no.

If supression effects are done well, the player should naturally not want to stand up because he will find it too hard to accurately shoot the MG gunner, not because you've simply disabled his crouch button.

Upvote 0
I like both ideas, Zell.

Steering the player towards realistic actions has always been a problem RO has had to deal with, and you idea would make suppression work more realistically. I never liked how you could create a wall of lead above an enemy rifleman, just to have them pop up and kill you the instant you fire elsewhere or reload. An entrenched MGer should be SUICIDE to attack directly, except by a soldier with a scoped rifle.

As for conveying bad smells, you could also have the player's avatar start audibly breathing shallowly, or coughing (like when you smell something REALLY horrid).

Upvote 0
I like both ideas, Zell.

Steering the player towards realistic actions has always been a problem RO has had to deal with, and you idea would make suppression work more realistically. I never liked how you could create a wall of lead above an enemy rifleman, just to have them pop up and kill you the instant you fire elsewhere or reload. An entrenched MGer should be SUICIDE to attack directly, except by a soldier with a scoped rifle.

The problem of machine gunners getting shot by riflemen from long distances can be easily solved.

The mistake in RO:OST is that the weapon is perfectly still when your stamina is not depleted!

My suggestion: Add slight sway for hand held weapons (when in full stamina) that will affect long range shots. This will add a degree of error for long range shots. Depleted stamina and certain injuries will give a lot of sway as usual.

Another good thing to do is to add mis-alignment for quick snaps. So if someone jumps up from behind cover, or quickly turns when in iron sight mode.. they have to wait for auto-realignment. Feel free to ask me if something is unclear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0