• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hunting shotgun

Private_Joker

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
I usually opt not to whine about particulars with good games like KF, but I have one suggestion.

The hunting shotgun would be alot more enjoyable to use, or even useful at all, if its spread were not so absurdly wide. I realize that HS does loads of damage, but still it's worthless, and frustrating, if you can't ever hit anything. On more than one occasion I've double-barreled crawlers from ~4 meters without hitting them. As it is, HS is effectively a meelee-only weapon. I use it for three things: double-barreling scrakes at zero range, double-barrelling fleshpounds at zero range, and double-barreling patty at zero range.

I, and probably many other Support Players, would like it alot better if the spread were lust a bit smaller, even for just a few extra meters of range, while the damage were reduced to compensate.

The disadvantages of HS are already its price, its weight, and its suspenseful reload time. It's not nearly a viable option against pump shotty considering its useless range.

Cheers,
-Joker

I agree

I agree

i think that its good for fleshpounds and skrakes, other than that your right about the range thing, a spread of 30 degrees is completely useless against the lesser zombies, and there's also the fact that you need to shoot BOTH shots to be able to reload, its very inconvenient. if they keep the spread a little large than the other shotgun, its should be worth its money, but putting down the damage would make it less useful for the skrakes and fleshpounds... so i'm thinking maybe they could just put down the freakin' spread 5 to 10 degrees.

Upvote 0
I don't think it should be changed because that high spread is what makes it unique. there nothing better than clearing a whole floor with just one double-shot. I love it as it is, if I need to shoot further, I will use the normal shottie or the winchester.
the weight might be a bit high, but I agree making it too heavy because of the balancing.
and the price is not very high IMO, 200 bucks are definately ok for that beast of a gun, just the ammo is too damn expensive.

Upvote 0
I actually like the large spread. When there is a huge mob of zombies, I take out my hunting shotgun and down they fall with my alt fire, and yes on Hard. It saved my butt plenty of times. I don't think it's meant to be used as a main weapon, which is why support gunners can carry so much.

Upvote 0
I actually like the large spread. When there is a huge mob of zombies, I take out my hunting shotgun and down they fall with my alt fire, and yes on Hard. It saved my butt plenty of times. I don't think it's meant to be used as a main weapon, which is why support gunners can carry so much.

yeah, i guess your right, i find it effective enough on hard, accounting you have teammates, other than that you'll be screwed if your alone against zombies coming from every direction, i've played with it allot recently and my impressions are that its only good if the zombies are clotted up together in a mass. if the zombies come independently you'll be biting the dust soon: oh damn, too bad i have 20 health left, aw cr**! three crawlers left, the weakest s**ts ever! All coming from different directions. *boom* *boom* *click* f***. MOUARRRRRGGGGHHHHHhhhh!!!... "dead".

Spectating Teammates: awwww, wtf man!
other teammate: Jesus Christ!

Upvote 0
I would like to be able to reload after one shot. That would be nice.

I think this is a bit pointless. Opening the chamber pulls both cartridges out for easier removal, but skeet-shotguns have ejectors that throw them out (in which case you'd lose one). But why would you want to? You would like to spend watching the reload animation TWICE for the same amount of shots, wasting even more precious time.

Plan your shots better or just fire the other barrel if you want to reload. Or just use the alt-fire. :p

What I'd like would be ability to not have the hunting shotgun reload automatically so it would be more useful against the Patriarch. Now if I use it I get stuck in the painfully slow reload animation after firing, which leaves me vulnerable to his melee and the chaingun attack instead of being able to start spamming grenades. Sometimes I feel I'd be better off with the normal shotgun. As a support I have 10 grenades to use anyway. :rolleyes:

Bruce Cambels BOOMSTICK!!!!

Bruce Campbells... ;)

Upvote 0
I usually opt not to whine about particulars with good games like KF, but I have one suggestion.

The hunting shotgun would be alot more enjoyable to use, or even useful at all, if its spread were not so absurdly wide. I realize that HS does loads of damage, but still it's worthless, and frustrating, if you can't ever hit anything. On more than one occasion I've double-barreled crawlers from ~4 meters without hitting them. As it is, HS is effectively a meelee-only weapon. I use it for three things: double-barreling scrakes at zero range, double-barrelling fleshpounds at zero range, and double-barreling patty at zero range.

I, and probably many other Support Players, would like it alot better if the spread were lust a bit smaller, even for just a few extra meters of range, while the damage were reduced to compensate.

The disadvantages of HS are already its price, its weight, and its suspenseful reload time. It's not nearly a viable option against pump shotty considering its useless range.

Cheers,
-Joker

there's currently a solution to this. it's called the normal shotgun. you're welcome.

Upvote 0
On more than one occasion I've double-barreled crawlers from ~4 meters without hitting them.

How ? How did you miss ?? Unfortunately its named hunting shotgun, rather than heatseeking shotgun. You are required to be roughly aiming at what you want to hit.

The wide spread is the best part of the hunting shotgun. Getting surrounded ? Not with a HS you wont. Boom ! path through specimens wide enough for serveral buses.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately its named hunting shotgun, rather than heatseeking shotgun. You are required to be roughly aiming at what you want to hit.
I would love to go hunting big game in Africa with a weapon that is only effective inside of two metres. Oh wait.

The wide spread is the best part of the hunting shotgun. Getting surrounded ? Not with a HS you wont. Boom ! path through specimens wide enough for serveral buses.
The Scrake is right in front of you, you raise the ironsights, aim directly at his head, unleash both barrels, and hey, at a range so close you could stick the barrel in his eye and pull the trigger, 2/3 of the pellets miss.

A bunch of smaller specimens are coming towards you. Crouch and aim parallel to the ground to try to mow down three crawlers, a clot, and a stalker. Boom, half the pellets hit the ground two feet away.

Reminds me of way back in the day, when some physics student did some calculations of Counter-Strike weapon accuracy and concluded that it was physically impossible for a gun to be that inaccurate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can keep an entire hallway cleared in office, if I've got my back to a stairwell. Without using the iron sights.

The only time the DB doesn't do well is at PB range, like crawlers at your feet. Which seems reasonable.

Using shotguns w/o iron sights takes a bit of getting used to, and I used to think shotguns were terrible...but practice helped me be a lot more accurate with them.

Upvote 0
Reminds me of way back in the day, when some physics student did some calculations of Counter-Strike weapon accuracy and concluded that it was physically impossible for a gun to be that inaccurate.

I still don't recall Killing Floor pretending to be superrealistic, otherwise bullpup would possibly the best weapon in the game and anything else would be shiny objects on the trader. Oh yeah, and where the trader comes from anyway in that situation?

As much as I have been wondering sometimes the same question, it could simply be matter of learning and also gameplay balance. Yes, it does also mean you're missing noticable amount of pellets, but ever thought about aiming at chest-neck and firing salvo against scrake or FP at close range? I've never missed a pellet that way. Considering that hunting shotgun can kill nearly any weaker enemy with 90% of the pellets missing I can't figure out any logical reason why you would want to hit with every pellets, unless you want to make a score of 6+ enemies with one salvo.

Upvote 0
I still don't recall Killing Floor pretending to be superrealistic, otherwise bullpup would possibly the best weapon in the game and anything else would be shiny objects on the trader. Oh yeah, and where the trader comes from anyway in that situation?

There's unrealistic and then there's unintuitive. Realism makes for a ****ty game that appeals to a very narrow niche audience; intuitiveness is necessary for good gameplay.

Upvote 0