• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Odd Play Experience

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
So we were playing KF-Office on hard - long game the other day...

And the first 5 waves were pure clots and nothing but. Now, I know what you're thinking, but it wasn't that. Perks leveled just fine. Sprinkled into waves were a couple crawlers, otherwise the map was pure clots.

Then at wave 6, suddenly it was Fleshpounds....and just clots. After our 7th or 8th FP, things fell apart rather quickly.

Anyone else had this experience?

thats what ive been noticing. clots are the easiest to headshot and they arent a big threat. as i said in another thread, this is the newest way to level perks, but of course everyone was like, "bla bla clots are still a danger, and you can headshot anything"

No different than joining empty servers and playing one round and then leaving to join another empty server rinse and repeat. There's really not much you can do about it unless like the fellow before implies with some score system - such as weighting the headshot count towards latter waves. But I guess you can get to too **** about it all and the end result is we end up taking all the fun out of the game.

Upvote 0
There is really nothing you can do about that, so try not to worry. I find getting head shots by playing the game normally to be more enjoyable, and I get headshots galore anyways. People who turn on clot buster just to level perks are a bit misguided.

Now poundamonium is another story... thats the way to perk up :p

Upvote 0
Because playing solo is a deliberate choice people make to level perks. As bad as I've wanted to level something, I've never gone and ground it out in SP because it's just not that fun. We didn't really get a say in using Clot Buster either. After round three we were like "Ok, this is lame."

Leaving the choice up to the player, to grind out perks on easy in solo, that makes some sense. I just don't think it should be a white listed mutator in MP. What about the Stalker mutator? Is that white listed? Aside from commando, clot buster is effectively the "level me quick Scottie" mutator for everyone else.

Upvote 0
True, the money is made on skrakes and FPs. 150 clots is decent damage for just about every perk sub rank 4. I'd still prefer it not be white listed, since it appears to be the surrogate for KF-leveling maps.

So, you say 150 clots is enough for any perk to get to lv4? Co'on, this year's April 1st has passed quite a time. Even SS need 10 time more than that.

Upvote 0
No, but I did say that it's good, easy experience up to Rank 4. Figure ~300ish kills by the end of long game, hard difficulty...yeah, I can see going through 2 and 3 pretty quickly doing only clots.

*Laughs uncontrollably and falls off chair*

You will reach lvl 2 and 3 extremely fast anyway so what is the difference? If they want to train headshots then fine, let them. It is not like it is the hardest perk to raise anyway. I seem to score quite a lot headshots in non-mutator games (unless I am support or Commando (who sadly scores mostly headshots which do not count towards the perk)), so I don't care if someone wants to farm their perks on KF-Farm or KF-WestLondon. Maybe they will learn to get headshots on clots better as a result of it? :p

Oh, yes, on non-mutator games there are some thingies that crawl, some thingies that jump at you, some thingies that feel ill and some thingies that try to hit you with a sharp stick. :D

Usually you get some variation after wave 5 with some others thrown in the mix, I can't really see many players who would want to use this mutator surviving much beyond that.

Upvote 0
You must be easily amused.

So the argument goes "Most people wouldn't want to do it so why would they use it." Well, it's getting used, and it's lame.

And for the record, I've leveled every perk one level at a time. Right now they're all at 3. So yeah, this does actually impact my enjoyment of the game. I don't want to dodge people's lame *** servers because they need their easy leveling. I just don't get why mutators that make the game easier are white listed in MP.

Upvote 0
It's not your server, so either start your own with your own maps and settings or find another.

Play the game the way you want but stop trying to impose your play style on others. This isn't world of killingfloor online. You aren't going to be getting many e-props or e-girls for being a leg0t level 99 sharpshooter with pistol only spec.

Mutators that make the game easier exist for that very reason. It allows beginners to practice, it allows people to play more casually, and so on. Do some people use them to level? Sure, and more power to them. It's better that there are deticated servers with clot mutators running instead of people going around and joining just for a few rounds and then abandoning their team to start the cycle all over again. No matter what TW does, people will go out of their way to find ways to level more efficiently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not your server, so either start your own with your own maps and settings or find another.

Play the game the way you want but stop trying to impose your play style on others. This isn't world of killingfloor online. You aren't going to be getting many e-props or e-girls for being a leg0t level 99 sharpshooter with pistol only spec.

Mutators that make the game easier exist for that very reason. It allows beginners to practice, it allows people to play more casually, and so on. Do some people use them to level? Sure, and more power to them. It's better that there are deticated servers with clot mutators running instead of people going around and joining just for a few rounds and then abandoning their team to start the cycle all over again. No matter what TW does, people will go out of their way to find ways to level more efficiently.

Well said. :)

Upvote 0