• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] NeoTokyo

yeah another pretty solid scifi mod for source, alongside dyst and the spaceship one - eternal silence was it?
doesn't seems to have as much going on as the other 2 though -
joining of a squad seems pointless as you can see your whole team in the hud anyway.
The classes seem generic yet pretty indistinct, unlike dyst for example.
This whole light medium heavy 3 class choice system seems v hackneyed nowadays, phaps though should go into other ideas..

Maps are not as small and intricate as i expected - they are larger and more open - not necessarily a bad thing - they are decently made if phaps not all brilliantly laid out.

I thought this would be a smaller 8 on 8 kinda thing.
I think the cloak idea is a phaps bit pointless.
Like the 'ghost' being a femail robo torso thingie. (I understand the ghost being important at this stage but don't understand why..)

But hey - you can lean in a source mod! and there are no xhairs - oh, until you zoom with RMB - never mind.
The guns look nice (if there performance is a bit samey) but why put a scope on top if your not going to look though it when you aim/zoom????
I know it sounds like a contradiction in terms but it really makes me wish there was a true realistic scifi shooter, phaps with rpg elements a la deus ex - but where the weapons were handled in a similar way to RO.
But i digress ..
Guns do have a decent stooping power though - but whats this? you get a tighter group when you shoot standing than you do when crouched?That can''t be right - must be my imagination.

wow i just blew someone's leg off.
playing an outdoor map in he snow now - runs like crap, doesn't seem to fit the game like the indoor ones. Looks like festung kurland as it goes - could do with a couple of tanks.

sorry if a bit disjointed im typing between lives.

overall impression - yeah not bad at all, but certainly not as impressive as i expected it to be. The style/art of the game, while nice, isn't enough to carry it though what seems to be an absence (at least at this stage) of genuinely interesting features.

Upvote 0
This game is absolutely seamless despite it's only just been released. I must say, the gameplay is simple but it's heavily teambased. the music is also holy sh** awesome.

also, this game is MADE for fans of Ghost in the Shell. You aren't a true fan if you've never played this game. It's like playing as major. and that's awesome.

YouTube - Ed Harrison - Departure [Neotokyo OST]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried it today, found a large server with excellent team play and use of mics. Learning curve is rather steep considering no manual and only alternating tips at the beginning of a round. Unfortunately, balance is a huge problem, you only gain XP if you kill, cap the Ghost (or a teammate caps), kill off the other team, (forgot the last one, I think it's survive the round). So if the other team is really good, they keep gaining XP while your team struggles with the trickle of XP it gets from an odd kill. I was playing on this one map set in a skyscraper, we steamrolled the other team, we capped the Ghost most of the time and only elimnated the other team when we were bored of winning so easily.

A manual and perhaps some reworking of the rules would go a long way for this mod gameplay wise. It's got the atmosphere and ambiance, just a few more patches for gameplay/bugs and this should be the next big mod.

Upvote 0
keep meaning to follow up on previous comments but too busy playing it tbh - I really like it.
Sure it's still one for the twitchy kids - but at least it's a kinda thinking man's css , with a more varied pace, often slower and more deliberate which is welcome.

The way it practically forces the use of voip has worked as a kind of an icebreaker and many ppl seem to be playing almost as much for the social aspect as for the game itself.

The main reason i think i may have underrated it is thinking it didn't offer anything groundbreaking or intricate (thinking of dyst and eternal silence)

This is in fact it's strength - its a simple concept, added to a last man standing TDM, that makes the game accessable - yet the way it plays out with the ghost carrier keeps you thinking and involved.
It goes to show that sometimes when you nail a great concept you stop there and polish up around it.

Like it or not, this is why CS was a success and I expect to some extent this will be too, and IMO will leave those other 2 aformentioned futuristic steammods far behind.
On a production level, for me it's the maps that standout.Throughout the selection as good if not better as anything out there and certainly up there with those that shipped with HL2dm.
Steam release surely a given and phaps a retail version in the future?

Upvote 0
The way it practically forces the use of voip has worked as a kind of an icebreaker and many ppl seem to be playing almost as much for the social aspect as for the game itself.

this was the initial appeal of CS. except this game isn't full of 14 year old squealers because teamwork is REQUIRED in this game whereas in CS you can go off and rambo the whole time therefore CS is more of an epenis game.

The main reason i think i may have underrated it is thinking it didn't offer anything groundbreaking or intricate (thinking of dyst and eternal silence)

I underrated it to begin with also. Mainly cuz I'm used to games having to offer some sort of unique element to them. But this one is just straight up deathmatch with 1 side ctf, but it's very very good deathmatch. I guess that's unique in itself considering all these balls awful fps games coming out with some sort of gimmick to make you ignore the awful execution of the deathmatch itself.

Steam release surely a given and phaps a retail version in the future?

This would be awesome. They've already delivered a near flawless game on RELEASE and it's only a mod. Imagine what they could do with an income. KF definitely began to grow once they went retail.

Upvote 0
This would be awesome. They've already delivered a near flawless game on RELEASE and it's only a mod. Imagine what they could do with an income. KF definitely began to grow once they went retail.

.....well word is they want to move away from the GitS influences somewhat, just in case that happens.

Looking at what's available to buy over steam now, what's the betting you'll be seeing this next year at $14.99 or thereabouts, with just a few things tidied up and a bit more similar content?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but i'm guessing ( cos it seems to make sense) that in the case of sourcemods subsequently going retail over steam, valve simply adjust their percentage of sales taking into account the engine use - rather than selling the license in the first place?
Would certainly make a dev's transition into the commercial world much easier.

Upvote 0
Someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but i'm guessing ( cos it seems to make sense) that in the case of sourcemods subsequently going retail over steam, valve simply adjust their percentage of sales taking into account the engine use - rather than selling the license in the first place?

No any mod team would have to purchase an engine license if they wish too make a retail game. Valve isn't doing anyone special favors just because it's a mod for their game. Unless they have an interest in it they might hire the team like with portal, but neotokyo is so heavily based on existing movies that it doesn't really stand on its own. Gameplay is good but it's nothing too special.

Upvote 0
.....well word is they want to move away from the GitS influences somewhat, just in case that happens.

Looking at what's available to buy over steam now, what's the betting you'll be seeing this next year at $14.99 or thereabouts, with just a few things tidied up and a bit more similar content?

Would certainly make a dev's transition into the commercial world much easier.

I can understand them not wanting copyright infringement lawsuits if they start to make money off of concepts and imagery that the GitS team came up. But word has it that the GitS producers played this game and were like "This is what we wanted the GitS games to be like!"

I predict more a partnership in the future between the two rather then a lawsuit.

Upvote 0
this was the initial appeal of CS. except this game isn't full of 14 year old squealers because teamwork is REQUIRED in this game whereas in CS you can go off and rambo the whole time therefore CS is more of an epenis game.

You've clearly never played as a Recon.

With enough skill Recons can Rambo. In fact they're made to Rambo.

A single good Recon can **** all over your entire team's carefully laid plans.

And Lt. rank Assaults can do this to an extent as well. The "SRS" is like the AWP.

Except more powerful. It fires faster than the AWP and kills anything short of a Support with a single round (and Supports are too fat to live if they don't have any cover right next to them to hide from the second shot).

But anyways, pretty good game. Solid gameplay. Like CSS but better in every respect.

Upvote 0