• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Penetration

Electrocuuute

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
I noticed that the Handcannon gets slight penetration. I tested this on Clot Buster by lining them up and firing. If you watch, the clot behind the one you aimed at will flinch or do the flailing arm thing like they just got hit.

My suggestion is that since 2 out of the 3 Sharpshooter weapons get penetration, why not make it all 3? Handcannon getting the least (1 specimen penetration), Rifle getting the second (x specimen penetration) and the Crossbow with the most (I think it goes through 6?).

The bullpup doesn't need any penetration. At level 5 with the damage bonus, it shreds anything that isn't a Skrake or FP.

I would much rather be able to take down that siren that is screaming her lungs out behind a wall of gorefasts. I can see her head but I can't hit her because the invisible, magical bullet absorbing hitbox. I am sure you understand what I mean. Hence the suggestion for at least some penetration for the Bullpup, or a new toy that has higher penetration and damage but slower firing rate to the specials-menu.

Upvote 0
We'd all like to shoot that siren behind a pack of somethings with whatever our favorite weapon is......

But again, every weapon needs a disadvantage or there is no real point to having more than "stabby things, shooty things and explodey things."

And if you can SEE the siren, you can shoot her. What you want is to kill stuff between you and her at the same time. That's more than the Bullpup needs. It was obviously more than the shotgun needed too, because they dialed that back.

Bullpup is the most nub friendly weapon in the game. It doesn't need to get any better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
every weapon needs a disadvantage or there is no real point to having more more than "stabby things, shooty things and explodey things."

Well, bullpup seems to have quite a lot of disadvantages compared to a, for example, shotgun.

And if you can SEE the siren, you can shoot her. What you want is to kill stuff between you and her at the same time. That's more than the Bullpup needs. It was obviously more than the shotgun needed too, because they dialed that back.
Well, the shotgun is much, much more powerful because it throws out pellets equaling to about equivalent of half a clip of bullpup rounds in single shot and penetrates targets. Imagine the same shotgun with no penetration at all. I am sure all supports would protest and go up in arms. :p

Bullpup is the most nub friendly weapon in the game. It doesn't need to get any better.

Errr... And the first sentence in English, please? :confused:

Bullpup is okay on beginner and mows down mobs like nothing, but as soon as you go to Normal I can't really help wondering who replaced my bullpup with an airsoft gun... Supports do not have this problem and neither do the marksmen, for example. Actually, currently I think the Support is the most overpowered class in the game with his grenade arsenal and ability to carry a shotgun, hunting shotgun and dualies, closely followed by the marksman with his dualies + the "railgun" crossbow. These two classes are ridiculously easy to level as well. I just find this ridiculous and somewhat unfair.

Upvote 0
deagle2.jpg
I would think a deagle should have some penetration xD

Upvote 0
deagle2.jpg
I would think a deagle should have some penetration xD

Well, depends on the bullet type I guess. AP rounds would go trough softer targets but do less damage. Also, handcannons rate of fire would make it a bit extreme with the high damage it does. Would you like to trade off some damage for some penetration? :)

Oh, well. It is time to wait for the new toys I guess. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The shotgun has a poor ammo capacity, terrible iron sights, significant recoil, single shell loading...that's plenty of trade offs for god like damage at range (for a shotgun), effectiveness versus 'boss' speciment and 2 deep penetration.

I can't recast that sentence in English...because it's in English.

My friend adores the Bullpup, plays Commando at Rank 5 even with other stuff to level....and he's regularly #1 in overall kills, even versus Rank 5 support players.

You're not really giving any concrete examples of why the Bullpup isn't good...other than the shotgun is 'better'. How effective is the shotgun when there are crawlers at your feet? The answer is terrible.

Every weapon doesn't need to godlike. It's like penis envy, only for the shotgun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd argue that on suicidal, no gun is really powerful enough in the end :p On hard it performs fine.

Only if the specimens all wait nicely in a line while we try to hit the wildly wobbling, inaccurate head hitbox. :D

Alternative suggestion to penetration: Make the specimens stumble and fall over on their knees for a moment when decapitated so we can take a few shots at the specimens behind them. This would make them stop briefly as well. A FleshPound would be an exception to this. How would this sound to everyone?

Upvote 0
It undercuts the value of when they can still attack while they are decapitated, (since who's going to get caught by a gorefast that got decapped, took a knee, then got back up and started flailing.)

If nothing else were changed, it'd increase the amount of time headless guys are still in play, which doesn't really solve your problem. All it does is open up that magical alley of brains for you to head shot right as they die, at the cost of more bodies soaking up bullets later.

Upvote 0
All it does is open up that magical alley of brains for you to head shot right as they die, at the cost of more bodies soaking up bullets later.

Well I'd say it is a fair tradeoff. Specimen stumbles, stops and slows it's peers slightly and allows me to try to hit things behind it instead hitting the magical bullet absorbing spray of blood gushing up from the stumps of their necks.

I'd be happy with either way.

Upvote 0
It undercuts the value of when they can still attack while they are decapitated, (since who's going to get caught by a gorefast that got decapped, took a knee, then got back up and started flailing.)

If nothing else were changed, it'd increase the amount of time headless guys are still in play, which doesn't really solve your problem. All it does is open up that magical alley of brains for you to head shot right as they die, at the cost of more bodies soaking up bullets later.

Well, on the plus side, if you're a Sharpshooter (The ones who should really be doing the headshotting) then almost everything you headshot immediately drops dead due to the sickening damage. A 'Critical Headshot' from a sharpshooter of decent level can do 2-3 times a Specimens health worth of damage on Normal and certainly enough to at least equal their health on Hard. Suicidal is a different story...

They only still walk forward and attack when you do piddly damage to them from the decap. That's why you see the 'decap attack' far more often from peashooters (9mm, Bullpup. Yes, Bullpup) than from bigger guns (Crossbow, Handcannon).

The handcannon's penetration is more cosmetic than anything. It can cause 'stagger' in crowds, though, so it has a use. In fact, it's that TINY penetration causing staggers that makes dual handcannon bursts so effective in breaking out of a surround...

Upvote 0