• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Building a New Computer Rig: Soliciting Opinions

Polygon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005
polygon.redorchestragame.com
Hey guys,

Looking at building a new rig and wanted opinions on these parts:

INTEL CORE2 DUO E7600 3.06GHz
ASUS P5QL PRO MAINBOARD
INWIN C CASE
CM 500 WATT EXTREME P.S.
4GB DDR2 PC6400
- NO H.D.
24X DVD+-R/RW SATA
GEFORCE GTS 250 PCI-e 1GB
HD AUDIO
10/100/1000B-T ENET
This would be a gaming/digital arts rig (Photoshop, Max, etc), was planning on finally being able to play games such as ARMA II, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc, at near to full settings.

Anyways, just looking to see what you guys have to say about it, if there are any red flags or suggestions.

P.S.- Already have some of the parts such as the HD, monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.

Invest in a GFX card with a decent number of stream processors and cross fingers for decent CUDA/Max renderers (with Mental Ray being owned by Nvidia now, chances are not that slim). Certain PS Filters already utilize CUDA. Beyond that, PhysX is quite nice to play with :p

Upvote 0
Wait a little while.

The new generation of dx11 ati videocards will come in september or earlier, so if anything prices will drop even for nvidia parts.

The intel i5 chipset is getting closer and closer, if you want something now do not go socket 775 since its dead. Socket am2+ and am3 will leave you some upgrade options so if you want something now go with that. The i5 p55 mobos will be cheap and the processors cheap as well.

If you want to play arma2 i would really wait and invest in a quad core processor.

----

So all in all wait.

In 2 or 3 months you might be able to get a double as fast computer for the same price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-Q9650, they have them cheap on ebay if you are willing to buy second hand stuff. E7600 is not really good for games. I'd take an E8400 over it any day, it's almost the same price and on eBay it's cheap as dirt (~80€ boxed).

-HD 4870 w. 1GB is probably the best bang for buck graphics card atm, I'd take that over the 250 esp. if ArmA II is important for you, as the Ati's are apparently better for ArmA's engine. HD is something like 130€ so pretty cheap.

Upvote 0
ArmA 2 doesn't support quad core atm and no game will use DirectX 11 thanks your dear console friends ;)

When a new generation of video card is released then it usually brings big performance improvements with it. Having support for a newer API is just a bonus but not the sole reason enthusiasts/gamers will buy one for.

If the GT300 specs turn out to be true and it ends up being a beast, then i shall sell my GTX 295 (which i only bought last week i might add) and pick two of them up along with a 1KW PSU and link the buggers up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0