• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

new guns, rejoice guise :D

AK-47s are designed to throw out rounds fast and with good stopping power at the expense of accuracy.

M16's lose some of that power but are more accurate.

The AK-47 was designed as a machine gun and operates best at full auto.

The M16 operates best in 3 round bursts, or in single shot applications because of the recoil being dispersed better.

YouTube - AK47 & M16 (documentary film)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now that people mention it, there is a distinct lack of blunt force trauma in KF :p

A sledgehammer could be interesting. It could do a lot of damage, be slow, but be unable to decap. (Yes i know, you could probably decap if you hit someone hard enough in the side of the head, but it has to have something to set it apart from edged weapons.)

Also, chipped sword = more likely to break. I don't know where you're getting that katanas are fundamentally weaker than a long sword....they are pretty much all around a more durable weapon. (Better edge design, a strong backbone.) Long swords are bigger and leave nastier wounds...but they aren't more durable.

The Long Sword was designed to battle people wearing chain mail, banded mail, or plate mail.

The Katana was designed to fight people in bamboo and lacquer armor.

Katanas are extremely sharp and fantastic for cutting flesh and bone. However, against hard materials (IE, the fleshpounds metal implants), they are quite brittle. Japanese steel is/was low quality due to tons of impurities. Katanas are folded so many times to spread those impurities throughout the blade evenly. They have their curved design to cut more easily than a straight blade as well. The impurities in the steel also accounted for some of the lightness of the blades.

The long sword was made with better quality steel which was far more abundant in the British Isles. They were designed for hacking and stabbing people wearing iron/steel armor. They will chip, but they won't break nearly as easily as a Katana.

Upvote 0
The Long Sword was designed to battle people wearing chain mail, banded mail, or plate mail.

The Katana was designed to fight people in bamboo and lacquer armor.

Katanas are extremely sharp and fantastic for cutting flesh and bone. However, against hard materials (IE, the fleshpounds metal implants), they are quite brittle. Japanese steel is/was low quality due to tons of impurities. Katanas are folded so many times to spread those impurities throughout the blade evenly. They have their curved design to cut more easily than a straight blade as well. The impurities in the steel also accounted for some of the lightness of the blades.

The long sword was made with better quality steel which was far more abundant in the British Isles. They were designed for hacking and stabbing people wearing iron/steel armor. They will chip, but they won't break nearly as easily as a Katana.

Err, you sir are mistaken. Katanas are very, very durable and have great tensile strength. When a katana is made, you hammer and fold the blade multiple times to evenly distribute the carbon to make it stronger AND to remove the impurities. A bullet can be shot at a katana and upon hitting the blade edge, it WILL be split in half, no damage to the blade. The blade is also polished to reduce drag when cutting. Theoretically, this will reduce the amount of wear on the blade from cutting, making it less likely to be damaged during use.

You ARE right that the katana can break easier than a long sword, but it's not like we're going to be bashing specimens with the flat side of the blade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AK-47s are designed to throw out rounds fast and with good stopping power at the expense of accuracy.

M16's lose some of that power but are more accurate.

The AK-47 was designed as a machine gun and operates best at full auto.

The M16 operates best in 3 round bursts, or in single shot applications because of the recoil being dispersed better.

YouTube - AK47 & M16 (documentary film)

I Am against people saying stuff about the stereotypical AK-47. I bought a refurbished one many years ago ( before they dropped the law on imported weapons) and when i shoot at 200 yards with the AK, the bullets go right where i want it to go. The point i'm trying to get at is that i hope they don't implement the AK in it's stereotypical form, i want it to be like the gun i shoot. Guaranteed though, i do shoot quite a bit so i am a bit more accurate.

EDIT: And while at it, they should probably implement one of the newer model AK's instead of first model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A bullet can be shot at a katana and upon hitting the blade edge, it WILL be split in half, no damage to the blade

This isn't Star Wars with Guns and Swords here... When have you EVER, outside of a movie, seen a Katana split a bullet fired at it in half?

Besides, last time I checked, none of the Specimens, save for the Patriarch, even HAVE guns. And he shoots a LOT more than one bullet!

That said, I think a Katana would be a FUN, if impractical weapon. Besides, with that, everyone can put on the DJ_Scully skin and be a "Trenchcoat" with their Shotgun and Katana...every 13-year old's dream...

Upvote 0
ITT: We complain about the katana because it isn't practical in the modern setting.

Any relatively decent sword you're going to buy with intent to own a weapon and not a display piece will be something you spend four to more than five hundred dollars a pop on in the United States ( ~250+ pounds ). This includes katanas and broadswords / longswords.

Either sword would be excellent against fleshy targets - I watched their demo footage where the guy took apart a rack of ribs like it was paper, and lazily chopped apart a melon like it was made of foam.

I then watched the katana one and it seems to work just as well, if not being more durable in their tests - they bend it to nearly 45 degrees and back, break cinder blocks with the flat edges.

The claymore is intense - it takes apart what looks like a whole side of meat with two hacks and stick it through the hood of a car with what looks like little effort.

"Japan Warrior Sword"
http://www.coldsteel.com/japanwarrior.html

"Viking Sword" Longsword / Broadsword
http://www.coldsteel.com/vikingsword.html

"Two Handed Greatsword" Claymore
http://www.coldsteel.com/twohandedgreat.html

Watch for yourself.

Now, I feel that, as much as I like pointy things, some blunt weapons would do more to add to variety.

More feasible weapons would include:

Baseball bats
Crowbars
Lengths of pipe
Various hammers ( sledge, etc )
Polearms ( wooden staves, metal poles )

But, when it comes down to it, more people are going to have fun with swords than weapons like the ones I've listed above, and is probably why a sword would be added first.

Real swords aren't affordable compared to guns in the grand scheme of things, especially if you intend to actually train people in their usage.

It's the same reason they would add an AK rather than a more tactical weapon ( aside from the somewhat stereotypical availability of them ).

People like having fun.

Upvote 0
ITT: We complain about the katana because it isn't practical in the modern setting.

Any relatively decent sword you're going to buy with intent to own a weapon and not a display piece will be something you spend four to more than five hundred dollars a pop on in the United States ( ~250+ pounds ). This includes katanas and broadswords / longswords.

Either sword would be excellent against fleshy targets - I watched their demo footage where the guy took apart a rack of ribs like it was paper, and lazily chopped apart a melon like it was made of foam.

I then watched the katana one and it seems to work just as well, if not being more durable in their tests - they bend it to nearly 45 degrees and back, break cinder blocks with the flat edges.

The claymore is intense - it takes apart what looks like a whole side of meat with two hacks and stick it through the hood of a car with what looks like little effort.

"Japan Warrior Sword"
http://www.coldsteel.com/japanwarrior.html

"Viking Sword" Longsword / Broadsword
http://www.coldsteel.com/vikingsword.html

"Two Handed Greatsword" Claymore
http://www.coldsteel.com/twohandedgreat.html

Watch for yourself.

Now, I feel that, as much as I like pointy things, some blunt weapons would do more to add to variety.

More feasible weapons would include:

Baseball bats
Crowbars
Lengths of pipe
Various hammers ( sledge, etc )
Polearms ( wooden staves, metal poles )

But, when it comes down to it, more people are going to have fun with swords than weapons like the ones I've listed above, and is probably why a sword would be added first.

Real swords aren't affordable compared to guns in the grand scheme of things, especially if you intend to actually train people in their usage.

It's the same reason they would add an AK rather than a more tactical weapon ( aside from the somewhat stereotypical availability of them ).

People like having fun.

thank you for the links, they were good, really liked watching them and even considered buying a new machete, even though im more of a bayonet person (SKS, M44). if they ever were to add a bolt action, hope it would be a mauser with a sawback bayonet.

gew98baj98s.jpg

that right there would be FUN for sharpshooter! bloody too! complete it with an animation where you jam it into their stomach, then your boot comes up and kicks them off of it, or you could jam it into their stomach and then pull the trigger to shoot the clot or whatever off.

anyways.

KF mod had a baseball bat and a lead pipe. wasnt very fun though.

my main focus is on the AK47. that is going to be sweet to see TWI model, skin and animate that historic gun. TWI are pros at it so it makes it even more awesome, not only is it an AK47 but TWI are awesome when it comes to doing guns right so i cant wait to see how well they do the AK47. the SKS would also be neat.

Upvote 0
Awesome

Awesome

oh god, i hope they add an Austrian pfeifer zeliska Revolver, with its .600 caliber nitro express elephant hunting rounds! now that, my friend, is a weapon.

The only Problem is with that weapon, it would cost 21 pounds for a single round, not to mention its initial price of 11,722 pounds (+tax). It also weighs a total of 13.23lbs the recoil is enough to flail your arm, even with its weight.

it classes as the most powerful single hand weapon ever conceived, with its 5 shot chamber, you better not miss.

Upvote 0
oh god, i hope they add an Austrian pfeifer zeliska Revolver, with its .600 caliber nitro express elephant hunting rounds! now that, my friend, is a weapon.

The only Problem is with that weapon, it would cost 21 pounds for a single round, not to mention its initial price of 11,722 pounds (+tax). It also weighs a total of 13.23lbs the recoil is enough to flail your arm, even with its weight.

it classes as the most powerful single hand weapon ever conceived, with its 5 shot chamber, you better not miss.

10clots.

Upvote 0