• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

blur when turning

I guess the point behind "blur while turning" would mean slightly blur when you turn over 90 degrees with over 180 mouse sensitivity (or just otherwise fast), which I doubt would be too annoying. That's the way it is in Penumbra : Black Plague: Turn your head (aka mouse) not too fast and everything stays focused. Turn suddenly more than 50 degrees and you'll see it, and the moment you stop the blur disappears.

I've played Penumbra: Overture and I really liked that feature. The game is dripping with atmosphere already and stuff like that is icing on the cake.

For all the nay-sayers on this idea out there: It's not going to be a persistent, screen shaking blur like arty strikes or nadespame, just a subtle blurring that dissapears quite quickly when you stop. The few games I've played with it, I've loved it.

Upvote 0
the question is not if you have to refocus afterwards as in really noticeable. But when turning your head as fast as you can and moving your eyes with you. Can you at that point see the exact time of a clock?.

You dont have to refocus or anything afterwards and it shouldnt be like that. But while turning fast having a slight blur that stops at the exact moment you stop would be nice and not bothersome.

Of course if you moved your mouse a little or stoped moving and you needed to wait a second it would be highly annoying.

Upvote 0
This discussion is bit pointless. Even if Tripwire implement bloor (which is arcade game effect, not realistic) players will turn it off for multiplayer game and the reason why they do it will be poor PC, not taking advantage over blur-players. Best example is Arma2, ppl just turn it off to see more.

Solution: Lock it on or implement a darkening effect like in RO 1. Blur also isn't an "arcade game" effect. It's a best attempt to implement real-world effects. It's not 100% realistic, but it's an easy and relatively processor-light way to improve the experience.

Again, if anyone is skeptical of this, go play America's Army 3 (hey, you already paid for it it's free!). It has this effect in it, and it does a good job of presenting the slight shift in focus you have when turning your vision quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution: Lock it on or implement a darkening effect like in RO 1. Blur also isn't an "arcade game" effect. It's a best attempt to implement real-world effects. It's not 100% realistic, but it's an easy and relatively processor-light way to improve the experience.

Locking could fix that.

Again, if anyone is skeptical of this, go play America's Army 3 (hey, you already paid for it it's free!). It has this effect in it, and it does a good job of presenting the slight shift in focus you have when turning your vision quickly.

This effect is too strong in ArmA2. Imho blur when turning shoudnt be so disturbing. I guess human eye need a frantions of seconds to focus again.

Blur should be more usefull for eye-winking effect when something blow up next to you (granade, artillery) etc

Upvote 0