• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mutator: Mirror Friendly Fire

szr

May 13, 2009
The damage, that a player does to his teammates will be mirrored and will decrease his own damage by exactly that percentage he did.

Example:
Player A shoots Player B and does 50 % of damage his teammate will have 50 HP left, so the same damage will be taken on himself, he will also have 50 HP left.

If someone is able to make such a mutator please contact me, because i am sick of telling ppl to be carefull that friendly fire is on.

greetz szr

Even though I am out there waving the FF fanboi banner 24/7 I'm not sure I'd implement it on my FF server personally. When FF works its a beautiful thing and damaging yourself (because you capped your mate by accident) would ruin the realism. Even if I do get TK'ed I still want the team to continue so we can get to the next level, otherwise for every teamkill its 2 dead players making it hard to complete the level. That said it is the sort of thing admins could activate during the day for when the twats logon after school's out and run around killing everyone.

Upvote 0
i dont think so because maybe that way people will learn to be more carefull. They will think twice of team attacking and spamming nades which causes the most team kills.
My server difficulty is suicidal with 40% FF, i dont kick low level perks but still they need to learn to take care of their fire and i think its the only option how they will learn it.
If someone is going to do me the favour of making this mutator happen, id make sure it gets whitelisted and will totally put it on my server, thats my opinion :)

Upvote 0
Or just a simple penalty of somekind. Like in CSS if u TK someone there are options to freeze, time bomb, kill, drug, take all money from him, etc.

I came up with this cuz i think the dmg u made to a team mate would actually heal him and you will get damaged instead, sounds weird. So does penalties but...

...Just a suggestion ;)

Upvote 0
Or just a simple penalty of somekind. Like in CSS if u TK someone there are options to freeze, time bomb, kill, drug, take all money from him, etc.

I came up with this cuz i think the dmg u made to a team mate would actually heal him and you will get damaged instead, sounds weird. So does penalties but...

...Just a suggestion ;)

Not a bad idea but ill stick to the attacker decreasing HP solution, because its the most fair option i guess.

Just to get to your suggestion, what if the attacker has no money left?
And i dont think that freezing him isnt a good idea either, i could kill him instantly instead. This sounds more like a typical fun mod to me, but i would rather like to remind of the seriousness having FF on.

Upvote 0
that wouldnt make any sense, what is FF on for then?
Er... good point.

As it happens I don't think FF is particularly suited to this game anyway, apart from in friend-only matches. It only takes one idiot to accidentally or purposely kill you, and then you have to wait however long for the next wave, or have the team lose the game because of the overwhelming amount of enemies.

Griever's suggestion of penalties could work to some extent, but in the end there's always going to be people who will just join games to annoy other people, and these penalties are pointless against them.

Upvote 0
Er... good point.

As it happens I don't think FF is particularly suited to this game anyway, apart from in friend-only matches. It only takes one idiot to accidentally or purposely kill you, and then you have to wait however long for the next wave, or have the team lose the game because of the overwhelming amount of enemies.

Griever's suggestion of penalties could work to some extent, but in the end there's always going to be people who will just join games to annoy other people, and these penalties are pointless against them.

Thats why i am supporting my second idea, that the attacker will actually lose some HP but not the team mate beeing attacked, so actually FF is off but in fact it will take effect on the attacker.
And those ppl you mentioned, will get an instant ban on my server.

Upvote 0
Thats why i am supporting my second idea, that the attacker will actually lose some HP but not the team mate beeing attacked, so actually FF is off but in fact it will take effect on the attacker.
And those ppl you mentioned, will get an instant ban on my server.

In other words, it's not FF anymore, is it? This is what I would call a "penalty", since YOU lose hp because YOU shot your team mate. Am I right?

Upvote 0
FF damage cause the game more realistic but we need to think about when people are in chaos, Do they really have time to think help their teammate by using rocket launcher?? Anyway, you can try to create this kind of mod so that we can test it on the server because we don't know the actual effect until practicing it. In short, I appreciate and support your idea.

Upvote 0
Friendly Fire is friendly fire.

Bullets don't ask when they cause pain. When they hit, they kill. Your friend dies and you get a bad feeling. That's the way it has been and it should always be.

However, if someone wants this mod I don't oppose since it is optional. I just hope most server admins wont set it on their servers.

Upvote 0
You are thinking on the selfish CS:S point of view... caring only for yourself and not remembering you are playing a Co-op game... if you play in FF servers, make sure ppl you play with are aware... maybe join a clan... dunno...

taking health away from 2 players wont help in nothing, and will just mess up the entire gameplay for your TEAM. If you look for realism with TK on, don't try to penalize ppl who did it... if the guy is messing around, vote kick him... it doesn't make sense in a team-based coop game you wanting to freeze/turn to chicken/kill a guy in your team and incapp your whole team by 1(as the zombies will spawn as if he was fighting, but he will die in a second... and all "his" zombies will be left over with the rest of the team)

Upvote 0
You are thinking on the selfish CS:S point of view... caring only for yourself and not remembering you are playing a Co-op game... if you play in FF servers, make sure ppl you play with are aware... maybe join a clan... dunno...

taking health away from 2 players wont help in nothing, and will just mess up the entire gameplay for your TEAM. If you look for realism with TK on, don't try to penalize ppl who did it... if the guy is messing around, vote kick him... it doesn't make sense in a team-based coop game you wanting to freeze/turn to chicken/kill a guy in your team and incapp your whole team by 1(as the zombies will spawn as if he was fighting, but he will die in a second... and all "his" zombies will be left over with the rest of the team)

First off i am not coming from CSS but from games like UT and quake.
Second one, i am in a clan already and those ppl play fine with FF on, its just about ppl joining our server, which often seem to have problems with FF.
For example when someone is surrounded, they shoot 2 barels into the group, but dont actually think about the teammate beeing stuck in the middle.
And kicking isnt the right solution either, because it would leave all the ZEDs for the rest of the team. which is not what i want to happen.
I didnt mean to take the penalty solution serious so i dont know why you are refering to it though.
I was talking about an "Attacker Based Friendly Fire Damage", which does damage to the attacker but not to the attacked teammate actually.
Btw if i want to put that mutator on my server its still my decission, and not anyone elses. I think its a good idea and alot of ppl think so too. You are not forced to play on my server or on those having this mutator.

so long szr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even though I am out there waving the FF fanboi banner 24/7 I'm not sure I'd implement it on my FF server personally. When FF works its a beautiful thing and damaging yourself (because you capped your mate by accident) would ruin the realism.

That's why it's a mod, so you don't have to implement it but if you did, there is a good chance you'll like new game play style more.

Er... good point.

It is suited for this game the same way it's suited for every coop game. For people who don't like it, they just don't turn it on. If you play with FF then you may find you don't like playing without it. It forces you and your team to respect each other. You need to pay attention to where you are, where your mates are and what weapons you/them are using. You can't just shoot every specimen that rushes your friend which makes you learn to trust your teammates in a new way.

taking health away from 2 players wont help in nothing, and will just mess up the entire gameplay for your TEAM. If you look for realism with TK on, don't try to penalize ppl who did it...

Purposeful double negative or bad grammar? You be the judge. I agree and disagree. I agree that splitting the health between two people will help because rather than TK'ing one, both individuals get the notification. Half of the TKs I see are not because Player A shot Player B in foolishness, it's because Player B foolishly ran infront of Player A's. If you've ever been on an archery/gun range you'll understand.

Upvote 0