• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Multiplayer doesn"t work

Lord_Dalvok

Jun 26, 2009
I recently purchased Killing Floor and I cannot play multiplayer. When I click on Multiplayer it says: could not connect to news server. The other tabs do not connect either. I have searched online and found others who say they have the same problem but I have found no solution. Basically everyone says its just a firewall blocking it but my firewall's have been turned off. I know there is something about forwarding ports to your router or firewall, I dont know what this means or how to do it. I made sure my firewall wasn't blocking the game's internet access by turning the firewall off and it still didn't help. My question is: how would I resolve this problem? What are the steps I would go through?

The following is a list of ports used by Killing Floor. Make sure they are open in your router/firewall. (You will need these to host a listen server)

7707 UDP/IP (Game Port)
7708 UDP/IP (Query Port)
7717 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
28852 TCP/IP and UDP (Allows your Server to Connect to the Master Server Browser)
8075 TCP/IP (Port set via ListenPort that your WebAdmin will run on)
20560 UDP/IP (Steam Port)

Another setting you might have to deal with when hosting a listen server in your killingfloor.ini is:

ServerBehindNAT=False Set it to True

Handy internet tools I've been pointed too (thanks Sarkie) to test if your ports are open - GRC Shields Up [url]https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2[/URL]

this?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Forwarding

Forwarding

Ive gone to the port forwarding site and gone through and selected my router (Actiontec M1000). Then it asks me to select the program and Killing Floor is not on there. I know the game was made as part of Unreal Tournament, so should I choose one of those? there are: Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 3

Upvote 0
Now NOTHING works

Now NOTHING works

Okay, I tried to use that site and I selected my router model, but then it says to select a program and Killing Floor isn't on there.
I gave up on it. Then I was playing solo a couple hours ago then I left for a little while tried to restart up Killing Floor and got this message:

Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]
CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2390 MHz with 958MB RAM
Video: No Video
Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine' in configuration file
History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

This game is starting to make me mad. How can I even hope to win any modes other than beginner if I don't have a team? I paid for it and now NOTHING is working. Is there an actual Technical Support team for this game or just a forum?
Now I can't play it at all. Is there someone who can give me like some step by step instructions on getting EVERYTHING to work? This would be greatly appreciated, I just want to get what I paid for.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to mess about with port forwarding just to get online. Especially if you have turned your firewall off. And no, KF doesn't use the same ports as UT.

I'm suspicious that something is actually bolloxed in your config files. Start by deleting all the .ini files in the system folder. To be on the safe side, I'd also verify the game files. To do that, right-click on the game in your Steam games list, Properties, Local tab, button for "Verify integrity".

Deleting the .ini should enable the game to reset the base settings. Verifying will pick up on any files that are corrupted and re-download them from Steam.

I'm assuming you got the game off Steam in the first place?

Upvote 0