• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Versus Mode

NeatNit

Jun 22, 2009
Obviously not going to be implemented, just posting it for dicussion sake. And really sorry if there's already a topic x.x (which there probably is, but I'm going to use the "it's late at night" excuse for not looking)

So, the basic idea is that one (big) group of players played the zombies (or ZEDs, whatever I've only had this game for 3 days) and a much smaller group played the humans (like they do now). Obviously there would still need to be quite a few AI zombies, so even if there's only one guy on the zombies team it wouldn't change that much for the humans.

Player ZEDs would look exactly the same to humans. They can't tell who's a player and who's AI except for how they act and, if they get a chance to see it, any specials from perks.

It would kind of give it in if the player zombies could choose what they want to be, so their role will be picked automatically (I guess it should work like this: the game spawns ZEDS like normal, then picks the best ones for players, also taking into account their past roles, making sure no one always gets the good stuff while others always get crappy roles).

Perks would be either like the human ones, giving the players a few selections (obviously more fitting, as the ZEDs don't have guns and can't heal each other and all that), or something I find cooler, every type of ZED would be a perk, and the perk would be the current role, and earning a higher level would simply be accomplished by doing more damage with that role.

So, what do you think?

I don't like it in L4D either, but it's not exactly the same..

For one thing, the ZEDs don't just keep coming and coming and coming - the humans get breaks - in fact, they play it just like any normal game.

Also, the ZED players aren't always the bestest types. They aren't that much overpowered, they simply take control of the ZEDs that would spawn anyway.
Also, they don't choose where to spawn.

Upvote 0
I don't like it in L4D either, but it's not exactly the same..

For one thing, the ZEDs don't just keep coming and coming and coming - the humans get breaks - in fact, they play it just like any normal game.

Also, the ZED players aren't always the bestest types. They aren't that much overpowered, they simply take control of the ZEDs that would spawn anyway.
Also, they don't choose where to spawn.

lol i was just thinking the player ZEDs should be indeed the bigger ones, such as scrakes, fleshpounds. Being a clot? that thing is pathetic and playing with it would make me pull my hair off lol. Clots can only kill AFKs... Besides, these specimens doesn't know any tricks, u play as ZED, all u can do is go towards them. Unlike in L4D u can pounce and pull with tongue and stuff. You spawn as crawler or clot, u just WALK towards em, not very fun if I imagine that.

All this game needs is story modes, mission modes, objective modes or something like that. There are such suggestions already made, they sound very nice. But sorry, i couldn't imagine versus mode in THIS game...
This is just my opinion.

There are hundreds of ZEDs how many ppl could join to server then lol?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If they do add this (which I doubt), I really want to be able to just stay on a damn side. I'd like it to be exactly like the normal game for the humans, just harder because of more intelligent (hopefully) specimens.

That's always bugged me about L4D versus--that you have to take turns and it turns into a game over points. The worst thing that happened to L4D was it turning "Competitive" (with a capital "C").

I really don't think it'd work, though. The special infected in L4D are sneaky and have various gimmicks. KF specimens may have gimmicks, but they just go straight toward players. Trying to play them sneakily would completely change the gameplay, also.

If they add some sort of competitive mode, I'd rather see a "zombie master" mode or something like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Big problem with fleshpound a rank 5 medic can outrun a Pound,

Now take in account everyone knows as crake is a medic, and as fast as a level 5 medic, So explain to me how a scrake alone could not win a game :/?

Fleshpounds with human intelligence? are you mad? does have to be AI controlled for one they are basically computers that cant multitask i highly doubt player woud enjoy some "Wallhack type glow" on the player they are suppose to kill.

Then with teh speed of a human with a gun meh :/

Stalkers? Well they can go invisible so thats means im never playing in a map at night.

Crawlers? Hide behind a wall or on top of a lamp post, see the player jump down scratch and bite.

only need about three and your dead :/
Unless armor of course

Clots eh eh would be fail

Gorefast :D "FAST" rape man... Gorefasts with human intelligence could easily dodge and attack, oh and

This could be a mod :/ make it a DM with character choice of ZED's with weapons of the ZED's

(bloats butcher knife, Stalkers Claws, Crawlers Claws and teeth, Sirens teeth, Etc.) :D id like it too be a mod.

Upvote 0
Playing as any of this game's enemies would be completely un-fun.

Does it strike anyone else that everyone wants this game to be a combination of TF2 and L4D?

It really does! There are even a "smack em back" mutator made to hit specimens around u with melee, just like in L4D. I mean seriously... This game is NOT L4D, no versus modes in this, no melee hits on this, no more L4D stuff, or TF2.

Upvote 0