• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharpshooters - still getting headshot hitbox issues?

operator

Jun 22, 2009
With the x-bow and deagle it seems very hard to get the sirens/chainsaw guys heads to explode. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the crawlers/clots/scarkes or even the yellow guys. Is it just me?

I can make a video of this. Shooting deadon to their face with the x-bow and they just die without head exploding. It's not lag because i'm either playing solo or host as multiplayer.

YouTube - Sharpshooter perk level 4 bug?

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure that it would be game problem, as if you aim between the eyes (+ small area around there), you do have hell of a lot greater chance of making the head explode than simply aiming nearby the head.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but high majority of time I am aiming around that mentioned region regardless of weapon, I score headshots quite often. Scrakes, FPs and Sirens are somewhat of an exception and gorefasts are good eluding that, but for others it works wonders quite often.

Which makes me believe the so-called headshot area is fairly small + the odds scoring a headshot (or 'critical headshot' as the game states) can be somewhat random. It is not as magical as "nuke fleshpound" spot.

Upvote 0
I can decapitate scrakes with the chainsaw pretty effectively, but it always happens right as they die as opposed to the magic decapitation.

As far as the sirens are concerned, there is DEFINITELY a hitbox issue. Crossbow bolts rarely decapitate them even though they die in one headshot.

Upvote 0
but thats my point, have you ever seen a skrake running around without head?

Nope! They always die when they get decapitated.

The main bugs with sharpshooter that I'm aware of:

-Decapitations that don't result in a specimen death do NOT count for the head shot total.
-Bloat head shots do NOT count towards head shot total due to an explosion animation rather than a decapitation animation.
-Sirens heads rarely pop when a crossbow bolt or LAR hits them in the dome.
-(Possibly fixed, have yet to test it) Dual handcannon head shots don't count for head shot total. They are/were flagged as shotgun damage.
-Scrakes only seem to be decapitated by melee weapons. I've gotten some headshot kills on them with the Crossbow, but they were few and far between. Similar hitbox to the Siren.

Upvote 0
-Decapitations that don't result in a specimen death do NOT count for the head shot total.
That's normal, bleeding out doesn't count as headshot, you have to deliever the killing blow via the head to count as a headshot.

-Bloat head shots do NOT count towards head shot total due to an explosion animation rather than a decapitation animation.
No it does, turn on bloat mutator and try for yourself, your headshot count will increase

-Sirens heads rarely pop when a crossbow bolt or LAR hits them in the dome.
I've never had a problem headshoting Sirens, but they can't be decapitated + bleed out.

-(Possibly fixed, have yet to test it) Dual handcannon head shots don't count for head shot total. They are/were flagged as shotgun damage.
Never fixed, still shotgun

-Scrakes only seem to be decapitated by melee weapons. I've gotten some headshot kills on them with the Crossbow, but they were few and far between. Similar hitbox to the Siren.
Scrakes can't be decapitated, scrakes can only be headshoted (as in, it dies normally but the killing blow was delievered to the head)

Is it just me or do you people think there's some magical spot on every specimen that will kill them in one hit to the head regardless of their HP? There's no such thing, headshots only depend on weather or not the killing blow was to the head. On the other hand fleshpound/crawler/bloat are known for weakness where they head can be decapitated in 1 hit, but it's not a special area but rather timing during a specific animation

Upvote 0
Is it just me or do you people think there's some magical spot on every specimen that will kill them in one hit to the head regardless of their HP? There's no such thing, headshots only depend on weather or not the killing blow was to the head. On the other hand fleshpound/crawler/bloat are known for weakness where they head can be decapitated in 1 hit, but it's not a special area but rather timing during a specific animation

Clot - face and forehead

Bloat - the special area is the mouth

FP is timing

Crawlers and Stalkers- who cares about those? they die so fast anyway

Gorefast- under the teeth

Siren- I havent deciphered it yet

Skrake- seems that there is no spot in those

--- The Patriarch --- has anyone decapitated this guy?

Upvote 0
Dual handcannon headshots definitely count towards the Sharpshooter perk. I've done it hundreds of times this week alone. I'm not sure whether or not they affect the Support perk, though.

Must be a recent fix, then, because I remember being pissed specifically because it DIDN'T count for Sharpshooter progress. It's ridiculously easy to 'headshot' clots, Gorefasts, and Bloats at near point-blank with the Dual Cannons...

Upvote 0
Clot - face and forehead

Bloat - the special area is the mouth

FP is timing

Crawlers and Stalkers- who cares about those? they die so fast anyway

Gorefast- under the teeth

Siren- I havent deciphered it yet

Skrake- seems that there is no spot in those

--- The Patriarch --- has anyone decapitated this guy?

Still haven't tested the Bloat mutator headshot thing yet. I'll take Tem's word for it until I can test it myself.

I've actually gotten a headshot kill on the Patriarch with the Crossbow as a Sharpshooter. I don't know exactly where my bolt landed, but I definitely remember a slow motion video of his brains flopping about and his head being gone when he died.

Upvote 0