• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Idea for commando perk

Maybe something along the lines of more passive buffs instead of power increases ( since that would lose focus of being a support/scout type ).

EG, the medic and berserker both get bloat bile damage reduction, berserker gets global damage reduction, firebug gets fire reduction, etc.

Maybe give them resistance to siren screams on the same scale as bloat bile resistance? Or maybe a total health bonus of maybe five per perk level?

Both of those would make the commando much more viable into the later game without extremely upsetting balance in their favor, considering the medic gets an armor bonus.

I don't really think they need more weapons, although that would be nice, just something more useful than seeing stalkers ( I can see them pretty well as other perks, honestly, before they get within melee range of me just from the effect, and that's not counting the massive blob shadow under them ) and the Patriarch while he's cloaked most of the time.

Not that they aren't that useful, it's just that there is a definite lack of clones the ability is actually useful to be used against.

Upvote 0
Here's a novel idea:

Golden Bullet
The last round from a clip-fed weapon (single or dual 9mm, single or dual handcannon and bullpup) fired by a commando have a special effect:

9mm:
level 0 - 2 x damage, 4 x headshot damage
level 1 - 3 x damage, 6 x headshot damage
level 2 - 4 x damage, 8 x headshot damage
level 3 - 5 x damage, 10 x headshot damage
level 4 - 6 x damage, 12 x headshot damage
level 5 - 7 x damage, 14 x headshot damage

Handcannon:
level 0 - throws the target back 5m (ala crouch shotgun before the fix), de-rage fleshpound
level 1 - throws the target back 10m, de-rage fleshpound
level 2 - throws the target back 15m, de-rage fleshpound
level 3 - throws the target back 20m, de-rage fleshpound
level 4 - throws the target back 25m, de-rage fleshpound
level 5 - throws the target back 30m, de-rage fleshpound
(note: pushback doesn't work on fleshpound or patriach)

Bullpup
level 0 - pieces and hits upto 2 enemies, instantly kills clot, gorefast, crawler, stalker, bloat and siren
level 1 - pieces and hits upto 3
level 2 - pieces and hits upto 4
level 3 - pieces and hits upto 5
level 4 - pieces and hits upto 6
level 5 - pieces and hits upto 7

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am honestly in favor of adding a tier 2 machine-gun to the commandos repertoire of weaponry. They're like the only class that doesn't have a tier 2 weapon besides the pyro (but the pyro gets flame grenades which are pretty good). Medic doesn't get a unique gun, but their run speed and armor bonus make them retarded good. Medics with primary weapons out outrun berserkers with knives. Personally I don't think medics should get that big of a run speed increase, but that's not the point of this topic.

I say for the commando, add a more powerful machinegun that costs 1000 pounds (like the chainsaw, flamethrower, and hunting shotgun) that does 1.5x the bullpup damage but make the clip 30 rounds and the weight 8 blocks. There are many many choices as to what the machine gun could be as far as real life equivalents (I've seen some people post about the G36C in some other topics). Tweak the commando perks to suit the tier 2 gun in addition to the pup and you've got yourself a winner.

Upvote 0
I say for the commando, add a more powerful machinegun that costs 1000 pounds (like the chainsaw, flamethrower, and hunting shotgun) that does 1.5x the bullpup damage but make the clip 30 rounds and the weight 8 blocks. There are many many choices as to what the machine gun could be as far as real life equivalents (I've seen some people post about the G36C in some other topics). Tweak the commando perks to suit the tier 2 gun in addition to the pup and you've got yourself a winner.

I don't see the G36C doing significantly more damage than the L22, they're both shortened assault rifles firing the same round.

I'd like to see the Commando get a FAL. Semi-auto, high power and accuracy, 30 round magazine.

Either that, or replace the L22 with a full-sized L85 and make that their Tier 2 weapon, and add a submachine gun of some sort (MP5 or Uzi) as their Tier 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am honestly in favor of adding a tier 2 machine-gun to the commandos repertoire of weaponry. They're like the only class that doesn't have a tier 2 weapon besides the pyro (but the pyro gets flame grenades which are pretty good). Medic doesn't get a unique gun, but their run speed and armor bonus make them retarded good. Medics with primary weapons out outrun berserkers with knives. Personally I don't think medics should get that big of a run speed increase, but that's not the point of this topic.

G36C is a LESS powerful (they both fire the 5.56mmX45mm NATO round and the G36C has a SHORT barrel and i mean SHORT) than a bullpup in real life i hope you meant G3, a commando with the Bullpup and the G3 would be less effective than support against scrakes and fleshpounds but more effective against the trash, but with a higher range to account for the support's increased welding and grenade capacity.

Upvote 0
If tripwire make the commando go down the jack of all trades route they should give him +10hp per level, 1 weight per level and more movement speed. If they actually give him the abilityto be useful and help clean up the horde they definitely need to give him some stopping power through a G3 or something like that.
Hell, make the reload speed boost bigger and definitely increase the accuracy of the Bullpups sight, and if they add a new rifle it needs to have similar treatment. It'd also be good to give more of a damage boost too, this way it ensures commandos will be using the stuff.

Off topic and onto firebugs, FLARE GUNS FTW and a way to see through the godam fire.

Upvote 0