• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Only Germans and Russians?

Based on quality, CC and MN justify the space on the hardrive, based in activity, DH justify space on the hardrive.

With it's new update DH has stepped it's quality up a notch, but I'm excited to see how MN does Crete. MN is such a deserving mod, and gets barely any support.

Needless to say I looked forward to MN's update more then DH.

As for the subject though, I agree, Tripwire best make the other nations themselves. Romanians are a Must, honestly I would be rather dissapointed of Tripwire dosen't realise this. Any other nations are more of a bonus, but still deserve some attention IMO.

Upvote 0
First off, ABD, you do realise that, for this part of the war, at least, the Romanians were fighting on the side of the Germans, right?

Secondly - it is not quite as dumb as it sounds... the Romanians did use some German equipment, although usually after it had become pretty much obsolete.

They did also use captured Russian equipment, particularly as there was so much of it about in the early stages of the war with the mass encirclements and so on.

I would guess the inclusion of the Romanians would depend on how much of the overall game is going to concentrate on the events of Operation Uranus because that is where the Romanian 3rd Army's involvement became of any immediate importance. Their role as a fighting force lasted for about a day or so.

Upvote 0
Maybe, but the context he suggested it in was as a corner cutting measure, which I do not agree with.

If they do other nations, they need to do them right, with proper uniforms, proper weapons, and voices.

Shure, they used some German eqipment, and captured Russian stuff was used as well, but this was more of an exception, not a rule.

Upvote 0
On re-reading a few of the reports of Soviet divisions in Stalingrad it seems that Soviet units all over the city started taking small numbers of Romanian prisoners piecemeal within the city.

I guess a lot of those were Romanians whose units had been shattered in mid-November and had fled to the city looking for protection, shelter and food. The food they were refused after about mid- to late-December by their allies as the Germans did not really have enough for themselves.

It would be interesting to know how organised these Romanian groups were - were they integrated into German units or did small groups of soldiers just kind of attach themselves to any likely source of rations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its pointless to have romanians in ro: hos there were so few of them there is no point. its more of an excuse to "OH ADD THESE PEOPEL AND THESE PEOPLE TOO" than actually having realism. and when i say realism i mean if ur in stalingrad, 99 percent fo the time u were fighting germans not romaninas. i do know that romanians were implemented in the battle but its still just bs so thne they can be added. sorry nestor u and the team made a great mod and i know how much u like romanains in ww2 but its pointless as far as stalngrad goes.

Reactions: Stahlgeist
Upvote 0
Weren't the Finns involved in the battle of Stalingrad? I was watching a a DVD documentary about the battle of Stalingrad and it showed a map where the Finns and Germans were and it looked like the Finns were more to the north west.

Well it was Leningrad, but Finns didnt took part to that, even that Finland
is allways mentioned on poor documents.

Finnish Forces stopped advanceing on west side of Ladoka, when they reached old border line (border before Winter War) beetween Finland and Russia. That line was 20km from Leningrad..

Upvote 0
its pointless to have romanians in ro: hos there were so few of them there is no point. its more of an excuse to "OH ADD THESE PEOPEL AND THESE PEOPLE TOO" than actually having realism. and when i say realism i mean if ur in stalingrad, 99 percent fo the time u were fighting germans not romaninas. i do know that romanians were implemented in the battle but its still just bs so thne they can be added. sorry nestor u and the team made a great mod and i know how much u like romanains in ww2 but its pointless as far as stalngrad goes.

Not pointless at all. If you wanted it to be realistic, then you would have the portrayal of the armies deployed by the minor countries. Although the word minor implies insignificance, Romanian, Italian, and other Axis countries played a large role in operations around Stalingrad. Remember that when speaking about the battle for Stalingrad, it also encompasses the significant operations which took place around it.

Upvote 0
As seen from the various, great and professional mods it's not a good solution. There's alot of work gone into RO mods, but try finding a server for them.

All that work and no one can actually play with it.

Yeah, I agree, I always thought that they should have charged for this last instalment of Darkest Hour, it's pretty much on par with old RO with production values and people tend to pay more attention to games that they had to part cash for.

Nothing excessive, just a couple of quid would have done it.

Upvote 0
Not pointless at all. If you wanted it to be realistic, then you would have the portrayal of the armies deployed by the minor countries. Although the word minor implies insignificance, Romanian, Italian, and other Axis countries played a large role in operations around Stalingrad. Remember that when speaking about the battle for Stalingrad, it also encompasses the significant operations which took place around it.
if tripwire includes these skirmishes that took place around the city than i can see them included. but for the actuall city it's self which i wouldnt doubt is the only part of the battle tripwire will bother putting in the single player, its useless putting romanians in. i wouldnt hold my breath on the account that tripwire REALLY cares about the singleplayer campaign. or in better words, its not their real focus. (ex i dont think they are trying to go cod quality or BIA) i would figure that the campaign wouldnt be fleshed out at all. sort of like bf 1942, it included a "campaign" but nothing was really there. cod and bia have fleshed out campaigns. its a sideshow, i doubt much will be put into it.

Upvote 0
tbh I hope twi leave it at german and russian units -
if the community decides it needs other nationaities represented it can no doubt add them itself later.

Having those units as they were there in the Battle of Stalingrad would be nice to have directly on release. Why u ask me ?
Cuz, for me DH is a very nice mod as MN and CC are. The problem is that these mods separated players between RO Original and its mods. So i think it could be a good idea to have these units directly released with the game or via an update, maybe what u meant ?
NOT like as an independant MOD as u understand what i mean. It would be great to had this diversity AND keeping all players playing the SAME GAME :rolleyes:

Upvote 0