• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra: Does anyone use speakers & mic together

I upgraded my PC to use my HDTV screen recently. I'm quite happy for what this does to my field of view, but I'm a little unhappy with my sound setup.

I would like to be able to take advantage of my 5.1 home theater sound within games so I bought an Auzentech Prelude which will give my the necessary Dolby Digital Live.

What I'd really like to be able to do eventually is have my game sound play over the speakers and all the voice filter through a headset.

From my understanding Steam games do not allow the disjointing of game audio from voice. Has anyone been able to seperate these 2 types of sound within steam games such as Red Orchestra?

It may be that I'll need to just have everything connected through my headphones (Auzentech's card claims it will improve sound through headphones) but I'm holding out hope that someone might know of a way of having all voice communication through the mic, and all the game sounds through the speakers. In doing an online search I've found that the sound seperation is a lot clearer this way, and it would be nice to independently do volume adjustments.

I very much doubt it, did a bit of research into a few months ago but couldnt find anything, most of the problem is that PC games are coded to only use one soundcard/output so its pretty hard (impossible?) to mod it on the users end, the only (kinda) work around is like LemoN said is if you're using teamspeak or any other voice program outside the game to speak with your clan/friends and thats not much use for public games.

Shame though as I really like it on the 360 being able to have speakers up full and still clearly hear voice through the headset, TWI if you're reading this put it into ROHOS. :p

Upvote 0
Thank you for your replies. I was hoping that there was a good way of seperating the sound for the speakers and mic, but you've confirmed that this is not possible.

Teamspeak would allow speaking to your friend over the mic, but you would still hear everyone's voices over the speakers.

I hear of one person who somewhat successfully manually seperated sounds, but that wouldn't be easy to do.

It appears that this is a limitation of Steam. There is an active thread spanning a couple years where people have been asking Steam to allow the seperation of sounds.

[url]http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607436&page=6[/URL]

There are games which allow seperation of sound and voice, and as mentioned by Mahnsikir Xbox 360 does this effectively with their games. I have no clue what would be involved in getting this functionality released in Steam games. Perhaps this is something impossible to do? The only reply from Steam was from a support inquiry, and this was a limited reply. Perhaps if game developers such as Tripwire made the determination that adding pressure to Steam would be worthwhile something could come about. Yes, that would be great for the upcoming RO2 title.

Upvote 0
thats not what he was asking for

and you CAN make teamspeak to only use your headset, ie hear the voices in your headset, and have the ingame sound over the speakers

That doesn't sound like a bad option, but even so wouldn't the voice of everyone not using teamspeak be over the speakers?

Yesterday I tried to get into a Darkest Hour game. Someone had their telivision audio piped over their mic. It would be great to seperate something like that out.

Upvote 0
no, especially if they have their audo over the mic (well it most likely just is recorded alongside the his voice) there is no way of filtering that out

and yes this will only work for teamspeak, so you will still hear the RO voices over your speakers, and not over your headset:)

but thats really the only possible sollution i can think of

good luck anyways

Upvote 0