• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Skybox problem

LOOY

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Hi

I searched and I can't find any answers to this, so sorry if its hidden away somewhere :)

I've created a skybox away from the playable area of my level and put a zoneinfoskybox or whatever its called inside the skybox, i've changed bdirectional to true.

Inside my playable area I have flagged the walls and ceiling as "fake backdrop".

So i build and play my map, and this is where things screw up, my "fake backdrops" don't display the skybox, they display a larger version of the current map, if I look down I can even see zombies running around. It seems like the skybox info actor thing is acting as if it where in the center of my map.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I wish I could help but have a similar problem.

I designed a level, and decided as an afterthought to put in a roof. So I did, and the roof has pretty high edges. However, if the player jumps, they can see the rest of the level below them (it's beneath them but far enough away so they can see it). In other words, you can actually see the entire level through the fake backdrop as though you were viewing it in the editor from far away in perspective mode.

I thought this had something to do with the order of what was created first, so I altered that to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Surfaces which "Fake Backdrop" appear as if they wouldn't exist and you would look directly into the void. Ie, into the backdrop. Thus if there is something behind them, you can see that. There is nothing you can do about that other than using a different map-layout and/or obstructing the view somehow. E.g. a huge tree whose leaves create a shield over the ground. Or fences that prevent the players from getting too close to the edge so they can't get a good look down.

Maybe you can cut off the rest of a level with an Anti-Portal behind the Fake Backdrop surface, but I haven't tried that so I can't tell what problems might arise through that. Could be worth a try though.

Upvote 0
Right, what you said is what I easily assumed about the whole situation, but I go ahead to make another subtractive box to place a building into, and guess what? Doesn't show up. Yeah. I fly "off" the roof outside the backdrop walls, and it pops into view. So the backdrop excludes that.

Not to be outdone, I went ahead and duplicated a section of the level that was made far previously and was visible. Couldn't see that either, even though it was right next to a part you could see. Again, thought maybe it was the order of creation, but changing that did nothing.

Essentially, anything I make it occluded by the backdrop walls. Everything I want occluded by the backdrop walls are clearly visible (the edge is high, but i suppose i could just make it higher, although i think making it too high would take away from the roof). There are ways around it, but I want to know why it's doing what it's doing.

Upvote 0
Maybe the surface still works for closing off zones so the areas that are excluded are different zones. Check the zone view to confirm or disconfirm that.

I'll have a look around. Seems like an interesting thing.

EDIT: Ok, ironically, I started a thread with the same exact problem once. :) Just found it. Hourences replied:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=2166379

Seems like zoning does indeed work. As do antiportals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, zoning worked. Hooray.

Maybe it's just me...but I've used more than a few game editors, and this one seems particularly flaky. Half the problems I encounter with it are solved simply by quitting out and restarting the program. Most of the rest of the problems I figure out how to solve myself, and the remaining fraction that baffles me I have to post on here.

Sometimes I just feel stupid posting with my problems though. Like I should be able to figure it out myself or something. Oh well. Back to the mapping...and thanks for the help.

Upvote 0