• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Brush is going insane

shrinkshooter

Jun 4, 2009
I've googled it, I've forum searched it, but I can't find an answer to my issue. FYI, my brother is also having this problem on a totally different computer, so it's not just me.

The red brush in Ued, when I build a cube, is not a perfect cube. If I zoom in, I can see on a very small scale that the sides are slightly skewed. Also, for some ungodly reason, when I used vertex editor to scale the different sides of the cube and reshape it, the brush suddenly warps to a different part of the editor. I have to reset the pivot to get it back to where it was. This happens every time I edit the vertices or try to get them to snap to the grid.

I've done everything I thought of to fix this short of reinstalling the program, but that's not the problem because this issue doesn't come up when I make a new map. The problem is therefore localized to a specific map, although neither me nor my brother understand why this happens (yes, we made two totally different maps). I've reset the pivot, reset "all," nothing works.

There ARE workarounds, such as using pre-existing geometry and reshaping that to my needs, but that's quite limited if I ever needed something more complex which required a brush. PLEASE somebody, if you know how to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it.

I need a perfect cube. Without one, alignment becomes a major pain in the ***. It's not just the cube, it's every default brush. I build them and they have skewed sides. That's problem one.

Problem two is that anytime I try to move the vertices on the brush, they do move, but after I release CTRL the brush suddenly warps to another location in the editor. Meaning I either have to zoom out and look for it, or reset pivot which brings it back. In either case, altering brush is extremely irritating because for each step I need to go to brush --> reset pivot. The brush also jumps to the side whenever I right click while in vertex editing mode and some vertices are selected. If I try to snap any part of the brush to the grid, it warps to another spot as if trying to avoid my corrections.

If you're still unclear on something let me know.

Upvote 0
If a newly built cube comes up off the grid (although grid-snapping is enabled!) you can either just build it again a few times (just click the cube button a few times. Also works with the other brush builder buttons and in the 2d-shape editor) and eventually it will come out on the grid.
Alternatively you can select all its vertices and rightclick one of them to snap it to the grid. The others will follow on the same vector and if the brush has sizes that are multiples of the grid the whole brush will sit on the grid.

If the brush really is askew when it comes out something is deeply wrong. Check its Properties -> Movement -> Rotation. All three directions must be 0.0. Also check Properties -> Display -> DrawScale and make sure those values are 1.0 for all three axes.

Upvote 0
Just select the builder brush and Brush/Reset/Reset All, then click one of the primitives. It should reset the brush into the center of the map w/ the current settings in the primitive. I've made a habit of doing this after I've been rotating or doing anything remotely complex and want to move on to another brush.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just started having this problem today as well, after editing the same map for over a week with no issue. I've found that the larger the Height of a created brush, the further skewed the top and bottom are. At a height of 8, for instance, there is no noticeable skew and the vertices can be dragged properly. At a height of 5000, though, the cube's top and bottom faces are skewed far enough that it's easily visible and attempting to drag those vertices results in one of two things: 1. failure to select the vertex. 2. brush warps all over the map.

Regardless of the width or breadth, if the height is small enough the top and bottom faces don't skew... but if the brush is created with a large enough height, they're skewed terribly. If the brush is created very, very small so there is no skewing, and the vertices are dragged out to the desired size, then the brush warps all over the place and becomes unusable regardless of any parameter resets.

Upvote 0
If a newly built cube comes up off the grid (although grid-snapping is enabled!) you can either just build it again a few times (just click the cube button a few times. Also works with the other brush builder buttons and in the 2d-shape editor) and eventually it will come out on the grid.
Alternatively you can select all its vertices and rightclick one of them to snap it to the grid. The others will follow on the same vector and if the brush has sizes that are multiples of the grid the whole brush will sit on the grid.

If the brush really is askew when it comes out something is deeply wrong. Check its Properties -> Movement -> Rotation. All three directions must be 0.0. Also check Properties -> Display -> DrawScale and make sure those values are 1.0 for all three axes.
Properties -> Movement -> Rotation was the culprit. This became an issue immediately after copy/pasting static meshes from another map and perhaps became the default. Yaw, specifically, was the setting with a large value. My issue, at least, is fixed.

Upvote 0
Thank you Surly, you're a damn lifesaver you are! As infinitely clever as I might be those workarounds were getting annoying. (yes, that was a joke, no one get all furrow-browed about that arrogance -_-)

I'm glad you diagnosed the problem, or at the very least gave me a solution. The brush dimensions are back to normal, and now I'm hoping that it doesn't warp.

TO THOSE WHO SEE OTHERS WHO HAVE THIS PROBLEM: The Yaw for the brush is totally insane. Mine was something like -32,000. So yeah, resetting accomplishes nothing; you need to go to the rotation and reset to zero manually. The reason I wasn't getting this before was because I was looking at desired rotation (figuring "rotation" was just for brevity) instead of rotation.

Once again, thanks Surly. You're the man.

Upvote 0