• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor Crash

brick_top1982

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
I just received a copy of Killing Floor, played it for a minute, paused to turn up the resolution then it crashed. I tried un-installing then re-installing, but to no avail. Now each time I try to launch it I get a run time error prompt. I hate this because I spent 20 dollars just to piss myself off with a game that does not even work. Please help me out because I really want to play this game.

I also want to add that I can play Left 4 Dead on the highest Res with no hiccups, COD4 max with no coughs, COD WoW max with no coughs, Dead Space max with no coughs, F.E.A.R. max res with no coughs. I do not know a whole lot about computers so, but I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with my video card or anything else with my laptop. If I can these games that need more with no problems, why can't I even start this one game that doesn't require much?

Last edited:
Help me!!!!

Help me!!!!

SAME PROBLEM I DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ ANY OF THIS....

Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2109 MHz with 766MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 (7530)

ReadFile beyond EOF 0+4/0

History: ULinkerLoad::Serialize <- FUnrealfileSummary<< <- LoadSummary <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- UObject::GetPackageLinker <- ULinkerLoad::VerifyImport <- ValidateImports <- ULinkerLoad::Verify <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- UObject::GetPackageLinker <- ULinkerLoad::VerifyImport <- ValidateImports <- ULinkerLoad::Verify <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- UObject::GetPackageLinker <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class KFmod.KFCinematicGame NULL) <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitGameInfo <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
Me and a friend have the same problem, doesn't matter what any other options are, max resolution=crash, have been sending reports every time, max resolution for me is 1920x1080, I have to put it at 1620x1080, the next 1 down otherwise it won't work, its only happened after a recent patch, before I could play no problem, I'm using Vista patched to latest, drivers are all up to date, will double double check now.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3200 MHz with 4094MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (716)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (80004005). Please delete your KillingFloor.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::Exec <- APlayerController::execConsoleCommand <- (UT2K4VideoChangeOK Package.UT2K4VideoChangeOK @ Function GUI2K4.UT2K4VideoChangeOK.ChangeResolution : 02AF) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (moComboBox Package.moComboBox @ Function XInterface.GUIMenuOption.InternalOnChange : 0035) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIComboBox Package.GUIComboBox @ Function XInterface.GUIComboBox.TextChanged : 0055) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIEditBox Package.GUIEditBox @ Function XInterface.GUIEditBox.TextChanged : 000B) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIList Package.GUIList @ Function XInterface.GUIListBase.IndexChanged : 0018) <- UObject::processEvent <- (GUIComboBox Package.GUIComboBox, Function XInterface.GUIComboBox.InternalListClick) <- UObject::processDelegate <- UGUIComponent::MouseReleased <- (GUIList Package.GUIList) <- UGUIController::MouseReleased <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent::LeftMouseClick <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessKeyEvent <- UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <- UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

EDIT: Direct 3D has an error too, deleted KillingFloor.ini as is the usual trend told to people, got to 1920x1080, max resolution on Higher, changed to Highest, no crash, cool, no Vertical Sync or Triple Buffering, tried to go to menu then it crashed:

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 4254 MHz with 4094MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (716)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (80004005). Please delete your KillingFloor.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::Exec <- APlayerController::execConsoleCommand <- (KFTab_DetailSettings Package.KFTab_DetailSettings @ Function GUI2K4.UT2K4Tab_DetailSettings.SaveSettings : 0D60) <- UObject::processEvent <- (UT2K4Settings_Footer Package.UT2K4Settings_Footer, Function GUI2K4.UT2K4Settings_Footer.InternalOnClick) <- UObject::processDelegate <- UGUIComponent::MouseReleased <- (GUIButton Package.GUIButton) <- UGUIController::MouseReleased <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent::LeftMouseClick <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessKeyEvent <- UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <- UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the guys above, I have the same problem.
I played KF on steam with the max. settings like 1920x1080 res a very long time before without any problems. The crashs started right after the very latest ATI patch for my Radeon HD 4800 series. Question to other guys: do you also use a Radeon (and maybe even same HD series) card?

I hope the tripwire developers can turn their attention to this problem and release a patch for the latest patch for Radeon cards (if that should be the issue causing those crashes).

Upvote 0
@blink Verify the integrity of the game cache you got some corrupted data, do a checkdisc as well on your harddisc. Your game had reading issues. try posting your killingfloor.log (please create a separate thread for your issue)

@Jak, try making sure that the game doesn't try to start in a refresh rate that is too high. Try deleing your RO system folder as well followed by verifying the integrity of the game cache. Try updating your version of directX on your computer as well. (please create a separate thread for your issue).

@brick top can you try updating your directx revision and videocard drivers. I know that other games work but sometimes with certain combos only one game is broken.

@Nightstyle you seem to have the same issue as Jak based on your description, which is still different from brick's issue :p. (so look at your error message and compare if it actually is the same as Jak's issue then both share a post).

---------

To all of you we now have 3 completely different issues in the same thread.. So please for the sake of keeping things easy please make your own threads of your different issues. So this one can stay dedicated to brick's issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
help me

help me

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! EVERYTIME I LAUNCH THE KILLING FLOOR I ALWAYS GET THIS ERROR

---> Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2200 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: No Video
General protection fault!
History: UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 006F0043 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

OR THIS KIND OF ERROR

---> "Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library
Runtime Errror!
program: ...er\steamapps\commmon\killingfloor\system\killingflloor.exe
this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
please contach the application's support team for more information."

I NEVER HAD THIS KIND OF PROBLEM BEFORE SINCE I CHANGE THE RESOLUTION FROM 3D TO SOFTWARE! PLEASE HELP ME IM SO FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I MISS PLAYING THIS GAME :(

Upvote 0