• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor: Source Edition

Would this game be better in the Source engine? It's a good game as is now; it just seems like it's missing something, some polish, some extra umph. Maybe I'm just biased towards Source, but is the best TripWire could do with the Unreal engine?

What steps would have to be taken to make a Source mod of this game?

UE2.5 is somewhat outdated, but come on. If they ported it to the Source engine what do you think would happen? The textures would magically become more vibrant and lively? This 'polish' you speak of takes a ton of time and they did really well updating the mod and making it stand-alone.

Uh... yes? You think the game is polished? You like red text on red backgrounds?

That has absolutely nothing to do with the engine. It can be whatever color they want, they chose that color scheme.

You like "walk in a straight line" AI?

Have you ever seen bots in a Source engine game? Here's a rundown:
Half-Life 2 Series - Decent bots. They take cover, fire at enemies, usually don't get stuck.
Counter-Strike: Source - Go play the Zombie Horror mod. The bots in CS:S are so stupid they get stuck on walls. The AI is very rudimentary.
Day of Defeat: Source - No bots, or more specifically you can spawn bots but they just stand there, they won't move.
Team Fortress 2 -Same as for Day of Defeat: Source. There are commands to tell them to do things, like fire or follow you, but they won't do it on their own.
Left 4 Dead - They programmed pretty good AI into this. Bots have awareness levels and such. Honestly speaking though the bots aren't that advanced. The more complex AI was saved for the director, which isn't really a bot.

Basically bot support in the Source engine is very, very game specific. You have to program the AI yourself. So if they had used the Source engine you probably would have gotten similar bot support as the Unreal engine. I imagine they didn't want to spend months making intelligent AI, especially since AI is very CPU intensive and this was all written in UnrealScript.

You like nondescript lighting? You like pulsating vegetation?

I found the lighting fine. Could it have been much better? Of course. If they had used the UE3 engine (which costs a lot of money) it would be even better than Source. But for $15/$20 this game is perfect.

but the source engine don't give of the modder to script some stuff like uscript (only lua from garry's mod)

This isn't true at all. Check out eventscripts. I'm not sure if it supports L4D yet, but it does support CS:S, DoD:S, and TF2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did someone port this over from the UT2004 version for the Red Orchestra Engine/KF engine? or are you including UT2004 Raw/source files with the KF files in order for this mutator to work?

IE Admin plus? or UadminMod are the only two I remember from UT2004...but they won't work on KF "RETAIL" from the lack of the UT2004 files they were coded to use...enlighten me please:) thanks.

Admin Plus KF version (v2)

Upvote 0
Zombie>>>:eek:___________________________:mad:<<<< Target

Look a straight line.

Here is what the maker of this topic wants

Zombie
:p_______________________________________________
|
_________________________________________________|
|
|__________________________________________________
|
:mad:________________________________________________|
Target

How long will it take to eat his brains?

Not at all. Many times though I've seen a bunch of specimens stack up in a doorway and get stuck. I've never seen that happen in L4D.

But I digress. Reading some of the comments on this board has brought up some good points. It's a $20 game on a weak engine compared to a $50 game on a strong engine. They're both zombie games but it truly is apples and oranges. I dare say we actually got more content (including the SDK) with the $20 game than the $50 game.

Upvote 0
Is that the one that has got like 400 downloads!
Damn them! Get them to pull that map down straight away how could they do something like that!

How did they steal it btw? By just downloading it from your server while playing? Because you know the moment you do that, it's publicly available...

If it's the 400+ downloads map, it's uncredited in the download section, it looks like they want every mapper to sign up and release their maps on their site. When this doesn't happen, it looks like they get upped annonymously.

OH, and KF would suck on the Source Engine.

Upvote 0
Well I like KF as much as the next guy but I keep on comparing it to how it would look in Source and there is no comparison. Maybe if it were on the Unreal3 engine it would be a different story but it's not. Plus the Source engine is "free" while I guess TW had to pay for the use of the Unreal2 engine.

So you don't think KF would look AND play better on Source than on Unreal2?

Yes the source engine is 'free' as in, you have to pay for it. TWI already own the rights to the Unreal 2.5 engine. Why would they buy an engine to develop on that they're not even familiar with.

L4d was made by experienced source developers with a lot of money to back them up, it has nothing to do with the engine itself, just the experience of the developers.

TWI are getting there though, KF really shows a lot of improvement over RO. I can't wait to see what HoS will be like.

Upvote 0
Plus the Source engine is "free" while I guess TW had to pay for the use of the Unreal2 engine.

Two things wrong with this sentence.

1) The Source engine isn't free. You can make mods for it for free just like you can make mods for Unreal for free, but that's not the same as having a license for the engine to make a standalone game.

2) Tripwire didn't have to pay for the Unreal engine license. They won a contest with their Red Orchestra mod and got a free license to use the engine and release a standalone version of Red Orchestra (and now Killing Floor).

Upvote 0
If the pathing is that bad, make the map have about 1million path nodes, each covering every tiny point in your map. See how well it works. ;D I should try that sometime, just for the heck of it. XD Wonder how it'd look in UnrealEd. All those paths strewn about. XD That'd be hilarious.

Thing is, Zeds will follow the paths, till they spot you, when they spot you, they chase you, dun give a crap about the paths then.

Upvote 0
Everyone knows that [LT]Chris is a genious map maker.. and makes all original stuff...and does great on converts. We all know he originally made it. it's all good. we have 15 converted and original custom maps now and 20 total with about 33 more coming plus my mutators which made our server alot of fun. we've stayed with 2 servers. one stock, and one modded to please everyone. We don't mind sharing our work.

the best way to know an [LT]Chris (formerly optical shadows) map is that it's almost perfect, seriously intuitive, gorgeous, laid out well and little to NO if any glitches. he made serveral awesome maps for the KF mod..and UT2004 and such...he's still with us.. and mapping away.!!!

we're no longer Seal's Place btw...'EDIT' took out the advertisement of my clan just in case it was against the rules.. going to read them now...:)

...Derek...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
zombie>>>:eek:___________________________:mad:<<<< target

look a straight line.

Here is what the maker of this topic wants

zombie
:p_______________________________________________
|
_________________________________________________|
|
|__________________________________________________
|
:mad:________________________________________________|
target

how long will it take to eat his brains?

rofl!!

Upvote 0
Is that the one that has got like 400 downloads!
Damn them! Get them to pull that map down straight away how could they do something like that!

How did they steal it btw? By just downloading it from your server while playing? Because you know the moment you do that, it's publicly available...

If it's the 400+ downloads map, it's uncredited in the download section, it looks like they want every mapper to sign up and release their maps on their site. When this doesn't happen, it looks like they get upped annonymously.

OH, and KF would suck on the Source Engine.

I hve the police station map on my server from that site. Didn't know it was private :( Do you want me to remove it?

Upvote 0
I hve the police station map on my server from that site. Didn't know it was private :( Do you want me to remove it?

None of us mind if people use our stuff, because under the EULA they can. WE also like the exposure, we only ask that the maps remain un-changed, or at least proper original credits remain. We work very hard on our maps and mutators and servers etc. to provide a fun environment for all. OpticalShadows then, now [LT]Chris just said this "I don't mind people using my maps..but if I'd wanted it uploaded somewhere I'd have done it myself.." But that's just his opinion.

Thanks for asking and being respectful, but please.. it's a great map just like all his others...If it remains that OpticalShadows is the original author, then we don't mind. we have several other maps as well. come check us out:)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's no such thing as AI middleware. No end-all encompassing script repository to make things in the game interact the way you want them to; and quite honestly would be plain impossible to create one.
A tremendous amount of time goes into AI scripting to get it to behave a certain way in the environment and fashion it's going to be used in. Even the simplest things, like a bot intentionally picking up a weapon and firing it at an enemy, involve a considerable amount of game specific scripting relative to that game's unique classes.

Upvote 0