• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour 3.0 out Tonight!

The community is really rude to new players. I played my first game this afternoon on Juno as Allies. The whole map guys were yelling at whoever was driving the tank to do what they said or get the **** out of the tank. The guy driving would say "Well I'm new, I'm not sure where to go yet" and they would say "If you don't know where to go or what you're doing you shouldn't be driving the damn tank". Just REALLY rude **** like that, really annoying.

Also, killer bug on Juno where you go through those spawn closets, and when we went through A3's closet, it just dropped us under the map and we died. Happened multiple times. :confused:

Other than those things, I enjoyed the game. I love the ETO, so getting to use Allied weaponry is great.

Upvote 0
I was very disappointed to say the least. Maps are lack detail and are ugly. Same with the weapons. The animations for the weapons look really poor as well. This is one of my favorite things about RO to. The American voices are awful to, and extremely loud. Sounds like a kid screaming into a mic.

A lot of the maps seem to have a poor layout as well. I don't like how the players spawn in some off weird room, and have to walk to this wall which teleports them to the battlefield. :confused:

Weapon sounds seem poorly done to.

Overall, I liked Resistance and Liberation more. The weapons and map quality was a lot higher. I would've thought that since DH was based off of RO, they'd have a better start than RnL considering that RnL was complete change from HL2, but it looks like I was wrong.

The new uniforms for the Germans look nice. Hopefully they will keep the work up, and improve all the short comings.

Upvote 0
Bleh, its alright I guess, but it doesn't really seem to offer anything RO doesn't gameplay wise. Some of the maps are downright terrible and the comunity is the worst I have ever seen associated with RO. Absolutley horrible, no respect at all.

Not to mention all the german realism monkeys, I had the misfortue to stumble on a server of their's, and even speaking as somone who played realsim for nearly a year, it was really just pathetic.:(

Upvote 0
What servers are you playing on?

To be honest i rarely pay much attention to in game chat unless its for a tactical advantage. But seriously, your all experts at RO. If anyone is being rude or unwelcoming, chip in and help the new player out yourselves.

The mod is a little rough around the edges. Map bugs need fixing as this has a direct effect on gameplay. Weapon models and animations are not the mod's strongest point and the voice acting is harsh. For me i try to see it as 'character'. I'll be honest; when i fired up the first ever version of DH and played on my own, i thought to myself "this is ****". Very poorly presented and so i dismissed it. It was not until i was recommended into a 50 player server by a friend when i realised what this mod was all about.

I can only speak of infantry maps here, but what i have found so far is they have great atmosphere and the focus is on the action. The teleport spawns speed the gameplay up. You don't have to walk a mile to get into the action and it also gives you the choice of fighting down 1 of two sides of the map. For a large map this keeps the action tightly packed while keeping the pace to a similar level of what RO's small maps play out like.

Presentation aside, what is important is that they have nailed the core gameplay. It has its own feel and its different from RO. Not just a pack of skins and maps. As long as the core stays intact then they can build on the presentation. It is only a mod built by amateurs after all.

At the end of the day you either like something or you don't. I happen to like it and i think it should have the attention it deserves.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
I have not had any of these rude people so far. I play on two USA east servers though since my ping is low in those. I did see someone getting yelled at over squad leader position, but they should be when we need artillery and they refuse to call it in.

I am having a hard time readjusting to the sights on Allied armor, but getting used to that now.

I think Raids is my favorite map the entire layout looks stunning.

Upvote 0
I'm on the US servers too, if I play. Both in RO and in DH. I get subpar pings of 150-250 but the community seems nicer there. Haven't had any problems in either game lately.
The biggest problem I have in DH so far is that so much is new and I don't know my way around the maps yet and worst of all I often have a hard time telling the uniforms apart. Also I don't quite know which map is which yet so I can't actively vote for something I like yet. There are some killer maps in that mod though!
Like the one where Allies have to fight their way through a brown forest over a wide road, through the rest of the forest up a hill and lastly a into a bunker. Killer map. Even when Axis in the last bunker were unkillable from the outside the map was awesome up to that last objective.
I guess, if you are looking for competitive gameplay the bugs are really in the way, but if you are like me and you just play for fun and mood the mod really delivers. The bugs are just annoying then, not frustrating. The good far outweighs the bad, imo, it's just that it's way easier for a little oversight to ruin a map than it is for a whole map to draw you in enough to make you willing to excuse the bug.

But then, I'm also one of those who liked RnL's effort, even though I didn't play it a lot.

Upvote 0
I was very disappointed to say the least. Maps are lack detail and are ugly. Same with the weapons. The animations for the weapons look really poor as well. This is one of my favorite things about RO to. The American voices are awful to, and extremely loud. Sounds like a kid screaming into a mic.

A lot of the maps seem to have a poor layout as well. I don't like how the players spawn in some off weird room, and have to walk to this wall which teleports them to the battlefield. :confused:

Weapon sounds seem poorly done to.

Overall, I liked Resistance and Liberation more. The weapons and map quality was a lot higher. I would've thought that since DH was based off of RO, they'd have a better start than RnL considering that RnL was complete change from HL2, but it looks like I was wrong.

The new uniforms for the Germans look nice. Hopefully they will keep the work up, and improve all the short comings.

I believe there is plenty of room for improvement, just have to be patient :)

Upvote 0
I'm on the US servers too, if I play. Both in RO and in DH. I get subpar pings of 150-250 but the community seems nicer there. Haven't had any problems in either game lately.
The biggest problem I have in DH so far is that so much is new and I don't know my way around the maps yet and worst of all I often have a hard time telling the uniforms apart. Also I don't quite know which map is which yet so I can't actively vote for something I like yet. There are some killer maps in that mod though!
Like the one where Allies have to fight their way through a brown forest over a wide road, through the rest of the forest up a hill and lastly a into a bunker. Killer map. Even when Axis in the last bunker were unkillable from the outside the map was awesome up to that last objective.
I guess, if you are looking for competitive gameplay the bugs are really in the way, but if you are like me and you just play for fun and mood the mod really delivers. The bugs are just annoying then, not frustrating. The good far outweighs the bad, imo, it's just that it's way easier for a little oversight to ruin a map than it is for a whole map to draw you in enough to make you willing to excuse the bug.

But then, I'm also one of those who liked RnL's effort, even though I didn't play it a lot.

It was a custom map and it was great.

Anyone remember the name?

Upvote 0
Horrible community?

I just played on a random server on Hill 108 and we had people that actually used teamwork adn communicated.

On the Allies side we were trying to take teh hill, at the start we had a pln to go far right up the treeline and flank behindi the German lines in the trenches.

Didn't work out too well after being seen so then the officier ended up thinking about using his smoke in front of the trenches after he'd die a ton of times and we could rush the trenches and get them now.

It was some of the best teamwork/communication I've had in ia game even including vanilla RO.

Upvote 0
There are some killer maps in that mod though!

It was a custom map and it was great.

Anyone remember the name?

That was Hurtgenwald, made by Sichartshofen. It had the best atmosphere out of any other map.

http://www.red.orchestra.pl/datas/spgm/index.php?spgmGal=maps/hurtgenwald

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, guys. What a great mod. I am impressed. It's gotten a lot better since the previous versions.

Especially the maps. They are so full of atmosphere, especially the Belgian ones. It really feels like Band of Brothers. :D

The new Garand is much better. The recoil is much more comfortable now, the harsh recoil was one of my annoyances in the older version. The M1 Carbine is great too; mild recoil, plenty of range, fun to shoot (the sound is a bit.... suppressed though). The 1911 is great too, although it seems to fire 7 rounds instead of 8.

The American uniforms are awesome too. Not all soldiers look the same. Some of them look like they were lucky and managed to scrounge a wool balaclava, some have helmet camouflage, and the German team often seems to be composed of different units (FJ, SS). Speaking Waffen SS, I love their uniforms.

Teamwork was pretty good, except an annoying teamkiller who kept typing "this sux", blah blah, and someone who called me a retard for teakilling him. Oh well. Oh, one more thing, Brecourt (the one with the 4 guns) seems very biased towards the German side. Lots of fun to fire the MG-42 on that map though. :D So much crossfire, it's insane.

Great work, guys. You should be proud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0