• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CUT, although not bought in germany!

Hello!

I'm living in germany.
I got Red Orchestra via the gift option (steam) from a friend who lives in the UK. So it has to be the uncut version, hasn't it? i can't choose "Full Gore" in the options menu, why? Can you change this? Because it wasn not bought in germany! My friend sent me other games (Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty: World at War) and they are all uncut. Why doesn't it work with Red Orchestra? I fell like it got punked.
I contacted the steam support, they say it has to be the uncut version.

greetings,

djloeffler007

so you don't think that there will be a fix for that? ...

well, at a risk of giving a smart-arse answer - leave Germany?

edit - come to think of it -
take your pc across the border to an internet cafe in a neighbouring country for an elicit censorship-free steam download -
then smuggle it back in by hidding it in the place where your spare tire normally goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the problem is that it worked in the past, but with the latest patch TWI has changed it. When RO was released I got the uk version and for 3 years it was uncut until the day the patch arrived. this is kind of a reason to get my money back. I didn't get the uk version because I like english boxes, I bought it because I wanted to play the game as it was made.
the problem is that you guys know that I'm addicted to RO and that I will play it even if it's censored now :D

Upvote 0
It's about principles and I am one of those who actually bought the game immediately when it was released in 2006, switched to a more realistic english version later and had loads of fun playing the game until the patch/update or whatever. So I indeed payed twice just to have the german version again.

Sure it's not all about the gore level or some "forbidden signs" here and there that decide if the game is worth playing or not. Yet, because it adds more realism, people in Germany have been trying to get foreign versions since the start. Same with me, since I'm feeling patronized and kind of lost the urge to play at all...as I bloody hell cannot play what I actually bought and of course, spent 40 euros for nothing.

Oh I surely should be looking forward playing HoS .. but the version especially made for us, coz we deserve special treatment, yey!

Upvote 0
I absolutely agree with you and I'm a bit pissed off too, but it won't stop me from playing RO. In RO:CA (the mod) I never even thought about the need of gore, but when I got the uk version it was an absolutely nasty feature that I really liked, but it's not really necessary. I just have a problem that I payed extra money to get the game uncut. And I remember Alan telling me that he didn't even know why the game was cut for us germans, so that sounds like it wasn't even intended

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra does not check where you bought the game, but rather where you are. We grab your IP from Steam and get the country code from it. I guess that's not how they handle it for those other games.

Really? Then how come up to that patch RO was grabbing the very same German IPs from Steam differently for people playing in Germany that had activated the game with a non-German activation code? How come the IPs didn't matter at all and the activation codes did?

Did Tripwire change RO so that now the IP and not the activation code (which contains also the country and thus censorship information) is the deciding factor for gore and such or did Steam do it, as it has with TF2 in exactly the same fashion some time ago? Because either way it is the activation code that matters for Steam games when it comes to censorship, not the IP - why not ask around how "those other games" do it, not to mention how you, Tripwire, did it as well till not so long ago either?

Upvote 0
Ok, here are some facts:

I talked to a Tripwire Mod at the steam forums some time ago and he told me, that they know about the problem that all german players can only play the cut version since the patch in march, and that they are working on a solution.
Also i could contact the steam support about it.

Well i did that right away and the first answer i got from the steam support was something like that they know about the problem and working on a fix at the moment.
This was mid june.

So i can sum it up:
- both Tripwire and Steam Support call it a "problem", which implies that it wasn't done on purpose and that it is a bug.
- both also say that they are working on a solution already ... but somehow they really take their time with it as it seems now ...

Strangly the steam support told me now, after ignoring my further posts for a while, that i had to contect Tripwire about the problem, although i already told them in my first post that Tripwire sent me to them.

Well ... would be interesting to hear a official word about this situation and how far they are with fixing it!

Upvote 0