• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fixes and Suggestions

TripWiredWolf

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 9, 2009
(bleah, posted this in the wrong forum the first time)

Some requested fixes and suggestions:

1) Please do not allow weapons or money to be thrown or left in areas we cannot reach them at.

2) Please do not make players drop useless items such as the knife, healing device, or welder when they die. This is pointless and annoying, unless...

3) ...please allow us to drop AND sell ALL items, including the knife, healing device, and welder if we should so choose (and buy new ones too.)

4) Please allow us to dual-weild the knife. (use a second one if we pick one up or buy one.

5) Please allow us to ignore/block a person's voice or text messages if we so choose.

6) Please allow us to vote to kick an abusive player.

7) Please make is so we can pass through other players bodies while the trader is open.

8) Please allow a choice of concussion grenades (does more damage close to explosion center), fragmentation grenades (sends high-damage spall in random directions), and molotov cocktails (spreads fire over an area around imact spot).

9) Please add a bat-with-a-nail-through it type melee weapon.

10) Please allow players to re-spawn automatically if too much time goes by since they last died and when the level ends.

11) Please fix the leveling up of our perk stats.

12) Please add an Explosives Expert class.

13) Please allow us to lay mines or traps of some kind.

14) Please allow floodlights to be on the landscape to add lighting (maybe players coudl control them from high positions to help spot the enemy?)

15) Please allow us to dual-wield the shotgun (expensive, but fun)

16) Please give us a remote-detonatable explosive weapon.

17) Please make it easyer for us to locate the enemies in large maps (or make specimens that are far from any humans move faster, and then slow down when they reach them).

18) Please allow us to vote to end levels that take too long.

Last edited:
Dual wield, etc.

Dual wield, etc.

You say us like every killing floor player agrees. Granted some thoughts are good most are just utterly horrible, like duel wielding shotguns and knives.

Yes, you are correct. It was just some suggestions I threw out. I figured some woudl be more welcome than others (by both players and the programmers)

Dual wielding of shotguns was actually done in an old 3D game that came out around the same time as Doom. I'm trying to remember which one it was. Oh yeah, I believe it was "Marathon", by Bungie Corporation.

I'm asking for Dual wielding because it would add more variation to the game. I think the more various capabilities we can have with regards to dispatching the specimens, the better, as this is one of the games major points.

Upvote 0
4) Please allow us to dual-weild the knife. (use a second one if we pick one up or buy one.
No thank you. It is more useful to use a hand and a knife than two knives in real combat. In addition, this would make machette useless.

Once again I don't see why but at least using this type of weapon wouldn't be so stupid as the previous.

10) Please allow players to re-spawn automatically if too much time goes by since they last died and when the level ends.
Make this optional and I don't mind it.

Ohhh.... uhh.... yeah. No.

17) Please make it easyer for us to locate the enemies in large maps (or make specimens that are far from any humans move faster, and then slow down when they reach them).
No. Big no!

Other than those I either like or I don't care.

Upvote 0

First, I could've sworn that a Votekick system was already in the game...one that I use regularly.

Second...ummm...seriously? Dual-Wield shotguns? Seriously? To start, how are you going to dual-wield PUMP ACTION SHOTGUNS? Last I checked, the player didn't have 4 arms.

Also...are you aware that the Support class is overpowered with one shotgun. Imagine what dual wielding them would do for them. NO. JUST NO.

Upvote 0
Dual wielding of shotguns was actually done in an old 3D game that came out around the same time as Doom. I'm trying to remember which one it was. Oh yeah, I believe it was "Marathon", by Bungie Corporation.

There was also the Akimbo powerup in Blood which briefly ( about thirty seconds or so? ) made your weapons all dual wielded.

Also, in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, when you got your sawed off shotgun level to Hitman, you could also dual wield them.

I feel that the only weapons that could be dual wielded are the melee weapons if you are a berserker ( since only a nutjob would be using two knives at the same time ) or some other factor, and even then it'd have to be one handed melee weapons, which would be only the knife and machete, since other weapons are two handed / too large to effectively dual wield.

It doesn't feel like it would make it more fun though, since it'd just be a double-speed version of the single hand, but maybe the offhand would be weaker as a balancer.

Upvote 0
1) Please do not allow weapons or money to be thrown or left in areas we cannot reach them at.

This would be hard to implement, sadly. It would have been nice.

2) Please do not make players drop useless items such as the knife, healing device, or welder when they die. This is pointless and annoying, unless...

At the very least let us get an instant-recharge by walking over their now-fresh tools. Or, perhaps, giving the tool the healing/welding bonuses of the person who dropped it, and letting people grab it for 2kg of weight. It might slow the deck-of-cards like collapse that happens as soon as one person goes down.

3) ...please allow us to drop AND sell ALL items, including the knife, healing device, and welder if we should so choose (and buy new ones too.)

A bold suggestion. However, they cost 0kg and KF is already fuzzy on math
when it comes to buying things. Buying a second handcannon weighs the same but cuts your ammo in half, and selling it back undoes the damage. I had quite an entertaining time using the HC weight glitch to equip every single weapon in the game and swapping through them constantly just to see if anybody noticed. (Not on a serious server, mind you)

Until the system is robust enough to not glitch like that it's best to not tempt fate.

You probably got this from God of War or something. Or eating too much "wall candy" as a kid.
Dual-wielding long-bladed weapons isn't an easy feat, which is why it's so impressive when people can do it. Guns are different - there's no point to dual wielding those unless you're just trying to send a lot of metal in a general direction.

Knives aren't even long-bladed weapons, though. When using one it's much better to either wield it two handed, with a free hand, or off-wield it with a light pistol.

5) Please allow us to ignore/block a person's voice or text messages if we so choose.

Agreed.

You already can. Sort of. It's not a very straightforward or well documented process though.

7) Please make is so we can pass through other players bodies while the trader is open.

Or make the trader booths larger, have at least two entrances, and with wider doors.

8) Please allow a choice of concussion grenades (does more damage close to explosion center), fragmentation grenades (sends high-damage spall in random directions), and molotov cocktails (spreads fire over an area around imact spot).

The current grenade seems to be a conc/frag of some kind, and firebugs' light specimens on fire.

That's kinda pointless. Bludgening weapons are better at causing pain than disabling a target, and the specimens certainly don't seem to feel any pain. Heck, they don't even seem to suffocate while on fire.

Their share of specimens would have to be re-added to the pool, of course. Natrually, they would spawn at the spawn point instead of near the team.

11) Please fix the leveling up of our perk stats.

Fix how? Commando is broken by way of being the hardest to level (and the most useless), and sharpshooter is quite annoying, but other than that I don't really see any issues.

It's not really a wise idea to add new perks while the current ones are so completely off-kilter.
It would be FAR more logical to give the commando bonus damage to explosives, as that would both help fix commando and provide an explosives boost.

Currently, the LAW is classed under Support perk weaponry. I believe grenades are as well.

14) Please allow floodlights to be on the landscape to add lighting (maybe players coudl control them from high positions to help spot the enemy?)

IIRC, you can already put all of that into custom maps.

Ok, yea, I'm going to have to go with the "Too much 'wall candy'" theory now.

You know, taking these suggestions along side the "Explosives Expert" one above makes me think that you just want to play as a TF2 Demoman in KF.

I don't have a problem with how fast they move. If they got a speed boost then you'd end-up with an oort-cloud like mass around you, and that's not a happy time at all.

No, the REAL problem comes when you've got a few stalkers stuck on world geometry all across the map. Commandos can only see them from 16m away or less, and since the commando perk is otherwise useless you'll never have one in a serious game on Hard or Suicidal. Even if you DID have a commando, it would take a LONG time to comb all of KF-Farm with a slowly-moving 16m search radius.

I can't really think of a good way to solve that problem, unfortunately.

18) Please allow us to vote to end levels that take too long.

Try pushing the following keys in order:
~ s u i c i d e enter
If everybody follows suit, you can move on.

Alternatively, you can hit escape and click "Map Voting", but where's the fun in that?

Upvote 0
Some requested fixes and suggestions:

there's no feasible way to implement this as it depends on how well the clipping is sealed off on a map so the money can bounce off the wall correctly and not end up somewhere you cant go. so basically, this problem depends on the map.

agreed. it doesn't really matter but i have on more then one occasion left a hiding spot to look and see what a glowing item was thinking it was another pistol, only to find a knife.

if you got rid of your welder and healer, i can see you losing very quickly.

this would be cool, but stupid. there's a machete. why not dual machetes.

oh and they should make the machete have some other move to make it stand out from the knife (basic melee weapon) the fireaxe (damage dealer) and the chainsaw (everything raper). nobody buys it cuz it doesn't do enough dmg to justify buying it. it's just a glorified knife.

this option is already available. you have to hit esc to go to the kick vote menu. to reiterate your suggestion, i think the kick voting menu should have a default key mapping (if it doesn't have one already)

omg yes. im tired of assholes utilizing the 1 person doorway to their advantage and then laughing at us while we get pissed and cant buy weapons or ammo.

molotovs would be awesome. another thing to make the firebat a better class too.
i wouldn't argue with plasma grenades from halo either. :p

they need to make the melee weps they have now better first.
and i'd go with 2x4 with a nail through it. or a flail/morning star.

i think you should be able to spawn after so and so seconds if you joined in and haven't played a round yet.

explain?

sounds good.

14) Please allow floodlights to be on the landscape to add lighting (maybe players could control them from high positions to help spot the enemy?)
the flashlight is pretty damn bright already. this would be like jesus walking into the room. or zombie jesus at least.

first off, why? and secondly, show me a realistic way you can hold, fire and reload 2 shotguns in real life with ease and then i'll support this.

HELL YES. i've been wanting this forever.

Upvote 0
Haha, ok, yes I agree/admit it, dual-wielding of knives and dual-wielding of shotguns would be "cool, but stupid".

"Now I have TWO knives! arr!"

Also, a I guess a bat with a nail through it wouldnt give the cut-his-head-off-randomly bonus, but it would be a sort of fun variation of a melee weapon.. bludgeon weapon.

Does Tripwire's staff even read these messsages? They could probabaly implimint a pass-through-peoples-bodies-when-the-trader-is-open patch in just a few hours... why don't they just do it? It would save us from SO much agony.

Also, the Patriarch is SUCH a nerd. He's funny but I really wish we had more bosses. And I wish the peopel who set up a server could give the option of showing a power bar for how much damage the zombies have left over their heads... and somethign to aleviate the fact that once we die we have to spend a loooooong time watchign other players fumble around, out of the action.

I also wish Tripwire coudl update their graphics engine ... it's from 2005, right? Could it possibly be made more advanced, like the Half-Life 2 (Havok? Source? What's that thing called?) engine? I mean like, variations of expressions, posture... peopel not just hunching over all the time, lips moving. And MAN I wish it were possible for buildings and fences, etc in ALL tripwire games to take damage the same way they do in Company of Heroes. CoH has the best, and most satiusfying scenerey-damage I've seen. One of the biggest, instant turnoffs of Tripwire games like Red Orchestra is the way everythign is indestructable. It just sucks and makes gameplay kind of depressing. It's the biggest reminder that no, this isnt "like the real thing", it's just a video game or cartoon.

Also, blowing stuff up or poking holes in it/breaking it to pieces (besides only the zombies when they finally run out of HP - or ourseleves) is awesome.

Upvote 0
Does Tripwire's staff even read these messsages? They could probabaly impliment a pass-through-peoples-bodies-when-the-trader-is-open patch in just a few hours... why don't they just do it? It would save us from SO much agony.

so does the tripwire staff actually read these forums? do they ever respond to highly requested game fixes to design flaws? just wondering.

Upvote 0
sparta.jpg

Upvote 0