• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
It was more of a joke, but considering AA is considered a fairly realistic tactical shooter as well, it could draw people away from ArmA 2 (especially after the German reviews about bugs etc).
And ofcourse since it's free, more people might be inclined to do so.

Makes me wonder though, is this still being co-developed by the American military?
Must be funny for them making a fairly realistic game while ignoring it themselves and using another program and help train themselves with.
You'd think they would use the game they are helping to develop.

You know, I think the whole Armed Assault or Virtual Battlespace being used by the US military to train soldiers is blown out of proportion by Bohemia. I still know some guys in the US Army from my time as a subscript in Germany and none of them have ever seen or played these "simulators" and one of them is now at West Point. They DID actually briefly play Full Spectrum Warrior to train communications, but I think that was on a private initiative by one of the soldiers.

Upvote 0
Also don't forget what the "simulations" are usually used for!

Did you hear about the modified version of Doom that was supposedly used by the army for training purposes? I used to think "bs", what are they going to train with Doom, but thinking about what can be trained in a video game anyway I came to the conclusion that Doom would work just well:
E.g. if you want to teach soldiers how to storm a room. How to get as many armed men into a room as fast and smooth as possible covering as much of the room as possible. You can either use a drawing board and paint arrows on it with a permanent marker or you can just show them in Doom (use of alternative media). It was a fast real-time renderer and enough to render a schematic room.
Of course then saying "Doom is used by the army to train soldiers" creates a very distorted image, but it could well be true.

Now, of course VBS is much more fully featured and a lot more realistic than Doom, but I think the basic principle remains. Training isn't a huge round of team-deathmatch in VBS. Soldiers can use it to learn how to set up road-blocks. Which item has to go where in what distance to what other item. Or what to do if a team-mate gets shot. What to do when, who to contact when. What angle to cover by whom. Or holding formation in different types of terrain with different types of vehicles in the group. Stuff like that.
Of course they can go at each-other in a mission sometimes too, but I think this would be about as boring as the other examples, with a similar angle. Ie, more about learning procedures than about duking it out in the game.

Upvote 0
Pet peeves:

Major major lag. This is unacceptable. Also, the textures take a LOT of time to come in focus.

Why is it that you can only qualify once with the weapons? Why is it that you can't get enough advancement points to be able to get all of the weapon attachments?

Also, ACOGs don't change the fact that the M16A4 is Safe-Semi-Burst.

Screams "demo" and "unfinished" to me.

Upvote 0
Yes, just login to FP and follow the link in the email.

The full game is out within ia weak on Steam if you don't want to play now.

I realy hope they fix the lag, even on smal maps it's terrible, constantly jumpy and warmping around, hard to hit people and lots of people just run around a corner quickly because of this spraying and you can't hit them since it's not that fluid.

As far as training goes, you can requalify for any weapon, just talk to the g uy again.

As far as unlocks go, you get points from qualifiying but then have to get more from the battlefield.

Upvote 0