• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The new Perk Enabled filter - sucks

RED-FROG

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
Germany
Since this useless filter has been added, my server lost the traffic.
It's been highly played and many of the players enjoyed deathmatch, but now there is a heavy lack of players because of course there is not a single person in Killing Floor who would list servers without "Perks Enabled".

Before this filter was invented, many players joined out of curiousity.
They saw the DM- map and wanted to know what it is.
And when they saw what it is, and knew Perks would not work there, they still kept playing because it's fun.

Now it's a dead place and I don't want to contribute/host on it when it stays that way.

I really dislike the filter. I'd rather have it remove it and let it appear as a symbol added next to a server or something.

--
PS: I just added reticles to the game. I kinda like it, but haven't had the chance to try it since nobody joins.. (the game idles for over half an hour in my background now. It barely ever took over 4 minutes to have someone joining it.)

I was suggesting to rather have an icon for the servers in the browser :D

My server is by far not the only one that has perks disabled.
All servers that actually want to add a difference to the game through mutators lay under this issue.

There should be made a decision if the people should actually experience a fun game, or a game which somewhat only keep the addictive Perk whores that will fade out soon, anyway.

Upvote 0
There should be made a decision if the people should actually experience a fun game, or a game which somewhat only keep the addictive Perk whores that will fade out soon, anyway.

I think that decision is made by the players themselves, so if they don''t want to play on a perk enabled server it''s up to them (the perks enabled is default off btw)
does not seem to me to be a decision that should be forced by TW

Upvote 0
I think that decision is made by the players themselves, so if they don''t want to play on a perk enabled server it''s up to them (the perks enabled is default off btw)
does not seem to me to be a decision that should be forced by TW

Completely agree. Perks enabled is OFF by default. People like perks, so they turn it on. That's it. If they get bored with the 'Normal' game and want to experiment, they'll turn it off.

Besides, if your server was so heavy with new traffic, why aren't they favoriting it and coming back?

Upvote 0
hm well ok. I see the point.
The problem is just that the people rather play with perks enabled than without. Otherwise they experience the mach as a "waste of time".

Deathmatch is not the only thing I'm working on, but I'm afraid that with the only few players I have the "waste of time" effect on my side.

If they get bored with the 'Normal' game and want to experiment, they'll turn it off.
Who tells them that turning off the Perks would give them non-normal gaming experience? :p
To some it may just look like stat enabled, and stat disabled servers. Just like a setting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hm well ok. I see the point.
The problem is just that the people rather play with perks enabled than without. Otherwise they experience the mach as a "waste of time".

yea but isn't it the point that if someone views it that way, then your server probably isn't the place for them to play? no offense, i mean that in the most serious and straight-faced way possible

Upvote 0
[...]then your server probably isn't the place for them to play?[...]

Sorry, but I have to disagree on that:

My server have been full all day long running the standard
setups (from Easy to Suicidal + a custom map server)
and since I tried something new and installed the DeathMatch Mutator,
raised the player slots to 12 on one of the servers, edited every
stock map to be DM ready and fired up the server only the
players that usually already play on my server joined and even left
again after realizing that there's no perk progress on a deathmatch server
(which I think is the way it has to be to be honest).

So my opinion is that it's seriously the fact that perk progress is
disabled that keeps players off the servers, no matter how much hard
work you put into it to get something fresh up.

If the server stays empty the next days I'll revert it to a normal
one again and just look for some other DM servers to play on.

Upvote 0
Well the gametype needs some work, but once it gets fixed up, submit it to be whitelisted and Tripwire will evaluate it.

Holy cow, Frog. I wouldn't say that something like that coming from the Tripwire guys is a "waste of time"! Keep working on it!

Anyway, I have more problems with Perk-Enabled servers hosting craptastic maps (Arcade-Shopping Mall...yuck), than non-perk-enabled servers having lower player numbers.

Upvote 0
Interesting, instead of seeing many larger scale servers I'm seeing loads of KF-Leveling servers instead. Well actually I'm seeing the same amount of larger scale servers anyway, and there never were many, but you get my point! :rolleyes:

After all, standing around hitting enemies that can't hit you is much more fun than playing with many other real people.

Upvote 0
Nah. Getting their Level 5 perks, then promply GETTING KILLED WITHIN 2 MINUTES OF JOINING A HARD SERVER because they never learned how to play is the fun part? Right?

Well, at least it amuses me to see it. Besides, at least all the Level 5 Supports that don't last past Wave 2 drop shotguns for me!

Upvote 0