• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is more diverse AI possible?

smokeythebear

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sheppards house
Right now for me AI is the biggest drawback in killing floor. I don't expect it to be unpredictable however, just more capable of surrounding and trapping enemy players. Right now AI has one behavior; attack player using the shortest distance. It would be much more interesting if there were basic specimens with somewhat complex attributes, like a simplified patriarch.

Something with the same sort of attributes as the acid spiting antlions in hl2 would be cool, ie an enemy that prefers to keep you at a distance instead of the other way around.

Anyway this is just something to consider if TW plans any large updates :cool:

It would be nice if they were a little bit smarter or at least more cunning. After all, most types of dogs hunt in packs and use basic 'tactics' to catch and bring down their prey.

These specimens are not rotting, animated corpses, but genetic experiments based on human DNA, so they should have at least animal-level intelligence, if not higher. I realize that if they were too smart, it would detract from the 'zombie' feeling of the game, but animal-like cunning that includes intentionally surrounding and sneaking up on players would be good. Even the 'sneaky' types of specimens, the crawlers and stalkers, just approach in a straight line--they just happen to be crawling or cloaked.

I'd like to see fewer specimen approaching in a straight line and more doing some very simple and basic surrounding or flanking.

A ranged type of specimen, like you suggested, might be good also. I think it's too easy to kite specimens indefinitely given enough room, so a ranged one might cut down on that a bit.

Upvote 0
Right now for me AI is the biggest drawback in killing floor. I don't expect it to be unpredictable however, just more capable of surrounding and trapping enemy players. Right now AI has one behavior; attack player using the shortest distance. It would be much more interesting if there were basic specimens with somewhat complex attributes, like a simplified patriarch.

Something with the same sort of attributes as the acid spiting antlions in hl2 would be cool, ie an enemy that prefers to keep you at a distance instead of the other way around.

Anyway this is just something to consider if TW plans any large updates :cool:

High numbers of enemies + Complex AI = LAG FEST. I think they kept it simple for that reason rather than laziness or trouble coding.

And an enemy that keeps it's distance would be a nightmare for 'zerkers. What they probably DO need to add is an "If my path is blocked by 'x' other critters, I will take an alternate route around, even if it's longer' AI routine. Otherwise you end with massive hordes all bottlenecked at one entrance...somewhat expected with the weaker, "zombie-like" specimiens, but not with some more clever ones like Crawlers, Sirens, and Stalkers...

Upvote 0
I'd like more enemies to spawn. I swear it's so easy to just run around WestLondon map with the single action rifle and get up-close and personal with all the zombies, then fly past and avoid flesh pounds and gorefasts with ease.

A few minutes ago, I just left a game that I joined late, and climbed the top of the score ladder from last to first place easily by doing the aforementioned because there are little zombies (on hard). No one plays insane :/

Upvote 0
I'd like more enemies to spawn. I swear it's so easy to just run around WestLondon map with the single action rifle and get up-close and personal with all the zombies, then fly past and avoid flesh pounds and gorefasts with ease.

A few minutes ago, I just left a game that I joined late, and climbed the top of the score ladder from last to first place easily by doing the aforementioned because there are little zombies (on hard). No one plays insane :/

This is simple.

Activate sandbox mode, and change the max zombies count for each wave to something high. you can have as many as you like. :p

Upvote 0
I agree...it's ridiculous how easy it is for a single player to run in circle and shoot at the specimens. Especially on Farm, Manor and West London where you have plenty of room.

I hate to say this, but leaving the team is the first thing I do once I exit the shop on Farm. I do a lot better by myself in the large hayfields. You can hear the incoming enemies better and you don't have to worry about someone luring a specimen to you or pissing off a flesh pound.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the more wide open map is, the easier it is to win.
You can run in circles, snipe crawlers and sooner or later you will 'collect' a clump of specimen, which you can then proceed to kill off little by little.

Heck, I tried using 'Pandemonium' mutator in Farm and I managed to kill TEN fleshpounds with pistol and nades by collecting ammo (then I had to go away from PC).

This is why Offices is one of the most fun and well designed maps for me, as it has this claustrophobic feeling and there aren't any places to run in circles indefinitely (like you can do in WestLondon eg.)

There should be more specimen similar to crawlers, which come up at unexpected places and block the way.

Upvote 0
flesh hungry naked lab experiments who want to keep .... you(tender flesh) .... at a distance..

makes total sense ;)

Ok it was a poor solution but my post was mainly to call attention to the problem itself.

As Devs I trust you to find a solution :p

For clarification here is the problem: 1 person can solo infinite specimens if he has space to run. Some maps have no shortage of space. Either its a problem with the maps or with the gameplay.

Upvote 0
having them spawn on top of high walls and jump off is all good and fun, but what if they climbed back up for tactical reasons?

and the antlions in hl2... dont spit acid lol

In EP2, inside the mines you are introduced to the Antlion Worker, this fella:

AcidAntlion.jpg

Maybe a subtype of the bloat that can randomly spawn that can spit it's acid like the worker and the impact would be like a slightly large area of affect version of his vomit? Would certainly make camping more hazardous, as well as give the commando / sharpshooter more of a role if a more serious threat came from a range.

Upvote 0
In EP2, inside the mines you are introduced to the Antlion Worker, this fella:

AcidAntlion.jpg

Maybe a subtype of the bloat that can randomly spawn that can spit it's acid like the worker and the impact would be like a slightly large area of affect version of his vomit? Would certainly make camping more hazardous, as well as give the commando / sharpshooter more of a role if a more serious threat came from a range.

oh hey, i totally forgot about that one.

Upvote 0