• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Friendly Fire

Flamer can be very potent teamkiller weapon, but there's several practical diffrences, as unless you empty relatively high amount of canister to a friendly player, just being on fire for a brief moment is less lethal than one awfully aimed shotgun blast. You can spot within a second if you accidentally hit a friendly with a flamer, stop it and possibly heal the guy while with shotgun the instant you realize you hit a friendly, the friendly person is either dead or one hit away from being dead. If there's one clot or crawler around, he will be dead.

And as for bias, maybe. Considering the fact that you rarely see berserkers messing around with shotguns, same with commandos, firebugs might have potential FF issue, but are less lethal, medics with shotguns is not too uncommon, but they have usually some other jobs to do rather than to shoot enemies 24h\7 and sharpshooters are not using shotguns too often neither so where does that leave us? Shotgun itself is indeed lethal due friendly fire, but what's the major perk players use it with?

I usually see the Flamethrower kill it's own non-Firebug users, actually! People, IF YOU AREN'T A FIREBUG, YOU HAVE ZERO FIRE RESISTANCE AND WILL BURN YOURSELF TO DEATH....

Upvote 0
My server is now has 25% friendly fire. I may increase it gradually until it's 100%.

I've been pleasantly surprised. I've gotten no intentional team-killers and only a few accidental ones (2 in the several hours I played today--both from grenades). I find friendly fire makes the game much more fun. Maybe putting "FRIENDLY FIRE 25%" in all-caps in the server name helps to make sure people are aware it's on. :) I've noticed not as many people joining, but that's ok as long as those that do like having friendly fire on.

If anyone is looking for a FF server and wants to join mine, it's called "Sever of the Dead". I don't mean to advertise, but it's hard to find FF servers, so I thought people might want to know.

Upvote 0
I see the same posts..

No i don't, i prefer to play the game not sit in
observer because some idiot shot me 10 seconds in.

I am convinced the main reasons why majority of people don't play on FF servers is because:

1. 97% of players play support.
2. Shotguns are great teamkilling weapons.
3. Despite the given warning that FF is on (or even few who read it it was on), ignores it and goes "O HAI MONSTERS" and teamkills the rest of the team with one hunting shotgun blast due one Clot that was coming from behind. Or maybe with a grenade instead.
4. It prevents "blast the **** out of everything that remotedly shows lifesigns" syndrome that is norm everywhere else.
5. It's less efficient to level up your support perk when you can't do point #4 = Less frags, oh noes. Ruins great support fragfun.
6. You can't run'n gun around freely because another support might blow your arse off.
7. Given enough communication and coordination, it might enforce teamwork which apparently 94% (some supports are sane after all) of players does not seem to want, as it ruins their fraghunting and perk leveling.

I am strongly against FF on. Everytime i played on servers with FF on, i was always team killed. People throw grenades without looking, using the flame thrower without care or just bad at aiming.

I prefer without FF simply because i don't wanna get shotgunned to the face by some twit who can't aim and really, regardless of how good someone is, accidents happen.

Welcome to the internet. If you play with competent players you will avoid the above problems almost entirely.

Or feel free to do what Templarion does and only plays with friends or regulars on FF servers, this would be the simplest and easiest solution.

I play only with my friends who speak same language with me and use Mumble. Then FF is FTW! (75%)

But I can believe that in random servers with random players it can be a real pain in 4$$.

Random server, random people, you can expect to spend alot of time as spectator due to tks.

Upvote 0
Not EVERYONE is tactical, dude.
I play support and berserker mostly, while healing stray teammates I find.
I took a liking to the firebug class too, am a good sharpshooter and I LAUGH at the commando class. I'm sorry but..yeah.

Point is, I'll be busy with thousands of other things than to accurately snipe something useless off a teammate who will just look down and shoot and solve the problem himself. More likely than not I'll also be swarmed with scrakes and fleshpounds, and while retreating, the LAST thing I want is a handcannon to the face.

All this fake macho "hardcore" nonsense is just embarassing. If you want a damn challenge, go play suicidal. Over and out.

Upvote 0
Off, always off for me. For some reason I often times get the idiots who think this is counter strike, so they weave side to side while they're shooting... and of course they're not smart enough to pay attention to where they're weaving. I think my favorites would have to be the morons who dance around right in front of the guy with the L.A.W. and cry when they get blown apart.

I've only played FF twice, both times my group failed because instead of shooting at the monsters my "team mates" ended up killing each other. One of the two games the FF was deliberate, one of our guys thought it'd be fun to start shooting everyone with his shotgun. I'd love to play in a FF server, but fact of the matter is there's far too many dur dah durr players for my comfort... I'd be too tempted to start killing the stupid people in my parties (griefers, egotists, dur dah durrs, etc.).

Upvote 0
Off, always off for me. For some reason I often times get the idiots who think this is counter strike, so they weave side to side while they're shooting... and of course they're not smart enough to pay attention to where they're weaving. I think my favorites would have to be the morons who dance around right in front of the guy with the L.A.W. and cry when they get blown apart.

I've only played FF twice, both times my group failed because instead of shooting at the monsters my "team mates" ended up killing each other. One of the two games the FF was deliberate, one of our guys thought it'd be fun to start shooting everyone with his shotgun. I'd love to play in a FF server, but fact of the matter is there's far too many dur dah durr players for my comfort... I'd be too tempted to start killing the stupid people in my parties (griefers, egotists, dur dah durrs, etc.).

While those are all valid concerns, I've rarely had any problems like that on my server, which has FF on. Maybe that's because I'm not hesitant to kick jackasses or any other people I think will cause problems.

Friendly fire servers are for:
1) team players
2) tactical players
3) non-morons

Upvote 0
You people creep me out.
Also, friendlyfire on beg\ normal = HELLO MEDIC FARMING.

I kick for farming, so that's not a problem on my server For that matter, I kick for excessive or intentional team-kills also.

That said, I rarely have problems. Some people don't notice when they join (even though it's in all-caps in the server title), but once I make them aware they seem to play nice and team-kills are rare.

Upvote 0