• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Medieval - Beta2 UPDATED

Shibumi

Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2009
Map Name: KF-Medieval
Beta Number:
Beta V2 (NEW)
Playable:
Yes
Pictures: Yes (See below)
SteamID:
Gman06 - (Feel free to talk to me about the map, also let me know if you have it on a server please)
Description of map: A long time ago, this castle was occupied by some of the richest nobles in all of Europe. Nestled deep within her countryside, she has slept peacefully for centuries. Lately the local towns have begun reporting strange attacks and abductions by horrid beast and zombie-like creatures in the night. Your team has been tasked with investigating the area and putting a stop the problem... Good Luck.
What testing is wanted:
This is all but complete minus some VERY minor details and bugs. If you do come across any bugs, like texture issues, weird lighting, or bad pathing\exploits please include a screenshot and a thorough description so I can fix it quickly. Thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoy your testing =)
Map Download Mirrors: Version 2 Size - 3.2MB Zipped Format
FileFront Mirror
The Killing Crew Mirror

About the Author:
I used to map a bit way back in the day for UT99, but that was a long time ago. When I bought Killing Floor the other day, I had no clue that it was a UT2k4 mod before. Much to my pleasant surprise though when I booted up the SDK after my first night of gaming... I recognize the familiar interface of UnrealED. I'm used to 2.0 the the 99 days, but I figured I could manage to learn the new tricks of the 2.5 Editor, and so this is what I've come up with so far. I think that its coming along quite well for my first foray into 2.5, Killing Floor, and getting back into the mapping scene.

I'll update this thread once it becomes fully available for release.

NEW IN VERSION 2:
-Skybox
-Added 2 More Doors in Castle
-Added Blood to various places
-Fixed Several exploits with Blocking Volumes
-Fixed multiple pathing issues
-Changed towers a little bit to give each their own unique feel
-Added lots more pickups to the inside of towers\castle to give more reasons to go inside
-Many minor clipping glitches fixed
-Added Rain
-Added a multitude of sound effects including, wood creaking, dungeon clanking and moaning, wind, crickets, birds, and thunder.
-Added a moat with bridge.
-Added more character to the Armory (hole in the roof with rain pouring)
-More bushes + Cricket noises for ambience
-Fixed several texture issues (Mostly Alignment)
-Added Music
-Added Level Preview Screenshot
-Tweaked\Added Several Zombie Spawns

KNOWN ISSUES:
-I know that there's rain coming in the very bottom of the back middle tower. I'm attempting to get this fixed but have come up with no solid solutions yet.

TO DO:

-Playtest for Fun and Fairness!
-Re-Style Traders
-If possible find a way to turn all turretting into Meshes that light properly to cut down on the massive amount of BSP.

Screenshots:

Last edited:
Yeah

Yeah

Its really nice huge map with good ideas. I tryed only solo but uploaded then to our server cause I need to see this map with other ppl there. Is it possible to somehow make some different towers. This looks like prosily. The court is great with many details and there is so much space. So make the same with the rest and I can guaratee that this will be really great map. GJ

Upvote 0
I started to tinker with it some more last night, added in the rain, along with a lot of ambient sound effects and it REALLY helps set the mood. I'm excited for the next beta of the map. I discovered a really big pathing issue and am currently trying to fix that as well. I also added a tree line, and I will probably finish the moat as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed the map, so when you want the towers to be different, do you mean the layout inside? Or do you just want me to play around with the details and make them each feel like they're unique and not copy pasted?

And what does Prosily mean? lol.

Next update will also include a walkthrough video. And I'm considering expanding the prison as I enjoy it very much and while doing a playthrough I think it needs to be bigger.

Upvote 0
And I'm considering expanding the prison as I enjoy it very much and while doing a playthrough I think it needs to be bigger.

That's a good point. I love the small claustroophobic Prsion. However if a map called 'Prison Extended' came out that opened up the 2 level wings at each end that would make things even more hellish fun. Especially if you could lock yourselves in the cells and weld the doors.

Excited already thinking about it.

P.S Medieval is looking great. I know a number of people are looking forward to playing this map. Keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
Alright, so I've been working with this a lot the last couple days. I think I will be releasing version 2 of the beta very soon. The list of changes includes weather, sounds, moat complete, bridge complete, tree-line + fog-line, blood spatters, a cool hole in the roof of the armory, a couple more doors, and various clipping issues and pathing issues fixed.

Before I release, I would like to get the towers changed up a bit, give each one a little bit different feel. I attempted to do a caved in floor in one, and I did not like the feel so I reverted.

Known Issues: I'm having a problem with the NoRain volume in the back tower. No matter what shape or size of volume I make, overlapping or not, I can't get it to not rain in the small bottome section of the back tower. In between the castlehallway, and the dungeon on the spiral stairs it rains.

Also, I'm having A LOT of trouble adding water to the foutain static mesh in the courtyard. So much that I've pretty much given up on getting it to work. For some reason adding any kind of brush inside that mesh errors me out. Anyone else used the fountain mesh and put water in it care to enlighten me?

If you download V2 of my map and can take a look at the volumes and get a working fix for the rain falling through the back tower near the bottom, please let me know or send me a fixed version of the map, I would be eternally grateful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Towers

Towers

I wanted to mentioned that you made a lot of work with countyard and towers were ,,only,, simple textures. But this feeling was for the first time. Now I am a little bit sad that no one wants to fight upstairs in towers and walls. But this map is really fine. GJ

PS: I saw fontain with water only once in this map http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=32852. I hope that this should help to contact author and so on. GL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BETA VERSION 2 IS OUT. DOWNLOAD IT NOW!!!

Thank you for your comments. I've actually played my map a little bit on some servers with other players, and we fought a lot in the courtyard, but we actually fought quite a bit on the walls and in the towers as well. The only place we didn't fight too much was in the castle itself, so I'm considering doubling the prison so that it kind of forces you to fight at least one wave down there after visiting the trader until you can escape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Amazing map m8. Also fix'd thread title. Just one thing (unless you've already seen it over at MD).

7758cab5.jpg

Having the trader spawn in the basement is almost certain death in later rounds of Difficult/Suicidal...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the bug report. You should look at it in Beta 1, the torch is halfway through the door. Thought I fixed that but I guess I did not move it quite far enough.

I appreciate the comments =)

Also, it makes me really happy to hear you say that the prison is tough, kind of what I was looking for. Also part of the reason I'm considering making it bigger down there to add a couple more turns.

If you want to make a prison trader spawn easy though, all you have to do is kill the last zombie near enough, like at the top of the stairs in the castle, and then run down, you should have enough time to run back out before the next wave.

By the way, thanks for fixing the thread title. Didn't know you were a mod here =)

Upvote 0
Ok. I tested it finally. Good looking map. Thanks for creating it!

Here is my list of improvements:
1) There are lots of fences you can't jump over but the mutants can. Please, make the fences a bit lower so players can jump over them, too.
2) Balconies are not very good places to shoot from. In addition, you cannot jump down from balconies but mutants can. At least, make it possible to jump down from the balconies.
3) The dungeon is a good idea but does not look very good atm. The main problem are the iron bars: i) They are too big compared to players. ii) There are too much of them. The dungeon does not look like a dungeon. You should try to capture the feeling of the next pictures:
rj_dungeon.gif

39778563_4bf37f714c.jpg

Upvote 0
I agree with you mostly, but there is reasoning and comprimises behind most of it. Thank you for taking the time to give me quality feedback, first of all. As for your suggestions, I may edit the balconies a little bit so they're shooter friendly. And I'll consider allowing you to jump off, but I'm not sure.

As for the fences, I'm ok with you not being able to jump over. As for the along the walls, I origionally intended for the player to be able to jump off, however after I realized it was a possible exploit as getting on the stables roof or the armory roof gave the players significant advantage, I decided against it.

As for the dungeon, I'm not particularly happy with the prison cell bars either to be honest, but its the only static mesh i could get my hands on that would do the job as close as I wanted, and I wasn't about to do THAT much BSP work down there, as it would be a large performance issue. If anyone wants to create me a nice dungeon bars static mesh, go for it. But as for now the current ones will stay.

Its actually cool that you cite those pictures by the way, as I'm planning my next map right now I think that it will be a Catacombs type map, similiar to those pictures with multiple levels, very similiar to the current dungeon I have in KF-Medieval.

Upvote 0
currently i dont think this map is on the whitelist but it should be would you care to put it up? it would be much appreciated :D i played this map last summer and loved it and have been looking for it ever since i finally find it on some random server today and am dissapointed to find its not whitelisted :S

Upvote 0