• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server providers that offer more than 6 slots?

Old method was pretty messy, little bit of a tweak here and its much nicer.

Clearly you just setup your server ip, port and path to your ini file (if you run this script from your kf/system folder you can just put the file name like below.

You have a couple of options with regard to actually running this. Either schedule it to run every 15 seconds or so. (the dirty method) Or you can tail your log file and look for the text that means a new map has been loaded / restarted and then run the script (much nicer, but not as easy to setup)

If someone really wants to know how to tail their log and send this update only upon map restart let me know and when i have some free time i'll sort it out.

Either copy and past the code below or just grab the file from http://212.125.94.172/6plusslots
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#Written by DSAS for the good of all ([URL]http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/[/URL])

#Setup server ip, port and .ini path
INI='KillingFloor.ini'
SERVER='YOURSERVERIP'
PORT='YOURPORT'

#Find username / pass and pump into variables
USERNAME=`egrep '^AdminName' $INI | tr -d '\r' | sed 's/^AdminName=//'`
PASSWORD=`egrep '^AdminPassword' $INI | tr -d '\r' | sed 's/^AdminPassword=//'`

#Send your update
wget "http://$USERNAME:$PASSWORD@$SERVER:$PORT/ServerAdmin/current_console?SendText=set Engine.GameInfo MaxPlayers 20"
If your server is Windows then you can burn in hell.... :) Or just install something like cygwin or similar and run the bash script that way - works fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Old method was pretty messy, little bit of a tweak here and its much nicer.

Clearly you just setup your server ip, port and path to your ini file (if you run this script from your kf/system folder you can just put the file name like below.

You have a couple of options with regard to actually running this. Either schedule it to run every 15 seconds or so. (the dirty method) Or you can tail your log file and look for the text that means a new map has been loaded / restarted and then run the script (much nicer, but not as easy to setup)

If someone really wants to know how to tail their log and send this update only upon map restart let me know and when i have some free time i'll sort it out.

Either copy and past the code below or just grab the file from [url]http://212.125.94.172/6plusslots[/URL]
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#Written by DSAS for the good of all ([URL]http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/[/URL])

#Setup server ip, port and .ini path
INI='KillingFloor.ini'
SERVER='YOURSERVERIP'
PORT='YOURPORT'

#Find username / pass and pump into variables
USERNAME=`egrep '^AdminName' $INI | tr -d '\r' | sed 's/^AdminName=//'`
PASSWORD=`egrep '^AdminPassword' $INI | tr -d '\r' | sed 's/^AdminPassword=//'`

#Send your update
wget "http://$USERNAME:$PASSWORD@$SERVER:$PORT/ServerAdmin/current_console?SendText=set Engine.GameInfo MaxPlayers 20"
If your server is Windows then you can burn in hell.... :) Or just install something like cygwin or similar and run the bash script that way - works fine.

I would love to know how :D

Upvote 0
De-list any server with more then 6 player slots

But to the GSP defense they are only selling what people will buy.

I mean people would pay 100 dollars for a 3000 fps css 10 slot server. just like people will buy a 50 or 60 slot kf server when it was only designed for 6 players.

There is a plugin for L4d to make it 12 players but there is not much hype about it. Is that because there is no default server browser? I don't know I do know in KF i rather play with a good team of 5 then a noob team of 30.

Upvote 0
De-list any server with more then 6 player slots

But to the GSP defense they are only selling what people will buy.

I mean people would pay 100 dollars for a 3000 fps css 10 slot server. just like people will buy a 50 or 60 slot kf server when it was only designed for 6 players.

There is a plugin for L4d to make it 12 players but there is not much hype about it. Is that because there is no default server browser? I don't know I do know in KF i rather play with a good team of 5 then a noob team of 30.

I use to play with my mates on standard servers but I like playing on some 32 slots public sometimes too. its just another game when ur playing on big servers and it will make ppl "getting bored less fast". ofc the game lacks maps designed for 32 players but there are some good ones and u can have some fun playing on those. Its just up to every1's taste, I respect ppl who dont play on 6+ slots and i think they should just respect those who like to do so. Every1 is free to play the game how he likes it.

Upvote 0
I use to play with my mates on standard servers but I like playing on some 32 slots public sometimes too. its just another game when ur playing on big servers and it will make ppl "getting bored less fast". ofc the game lacks maps designed for 32 players but there are some good ones and u can have some fun playing on those. Its just up to every1's taste, I respect ppl who dont play on 6+ slots and i think they should just respect those who like to do so. Every1 is free to play the game how he likes it.

I agree but its unfair to the communities who want to play the game as designed because all the people are joining servers that modify the way the game was meant to be played. I was running several KF servers untill I saw these 32+ player servers and quickly turned them off as I saw there was not point to running them, same will happend to 1000 more empty 6 player servers in the coming weeks.

But again selling servers is the way you make money and I cant argue with that fact because if people will buy it then sell it. Make your money, how much stupid **** you see at the store that people buy?alot? Same thing here.

I just feel if I was tripwire I would de-list server that modified a 6 player game to 50 players. I would bet if you figured out how to make a 32 slot L4D server valve would de-list it. Just my opinion

Upvote 0
I agree but its unfair to the communities who want to play the game as designed because all the people are joining servers that modify the way the game was meant to be played. I was running several KF servers untill I saw these 32+ player servers and quickly turned them off as I saw there was not point to running them, same will happend to 1000 more empty 6 player servers in the coming weeks.

But again selling servers is the way you make money and I cant argue with that fact because if people will buy it then sell it. Make your money, how much stupid **** you see at the store that people buy?alot? Same thing here.

I just feel if I was tripwire I would de-list server that modified a 6 player game to 50 players. I would bet if you figured out how to make a 32 slot L4D server valve would de-list it. Just my opinion

Officially TW doesnt support 6+ cuz that would make more job, require new maps etc but unofficially I dont think they wana force it to be 6 max as when u upgrade the players amount to more than 6, the zombies wave are auto increased proportionaly. I also hope there will be some versus mods like 6v6 (maybe even with zombies too) so 6 players is definitely short handed for the future of the game.
There are not that much 6+ slots players and when u wana find a 6 slots game its quite easy. I got a team and I play the standard game almost only with them, rest of time I just want some braindead zombie killing :)

Delisting wouldnt salve anything, you can already easily find IP's of cracked "no steam" servers that are permanently full so that would be the same for the delisted servers. TW should focuse on blocking somehow those cracked servers instead :)

Upvote 0

I currently host one of the most popular high player servers and its going like a train. Its populated 24/7. With alot of custom maps its really fun to play and does not get boring fast. People should be able to play the game how they want to play it with no limits. How is it unfair to the community? Because playing at high slot servers is more fun then a simple 6 player? I dont really get that.

Oh btw. you can get 8 player co-up with L4D using a sourcemod plugin. The servers are not de-listed.

Upvote 0
I currently host one of the most popular high player servers and its going like a train. Its populated 24/7. With alot of custom maps its really fun to play and does not get boring fast. People should be able to play the game how they want to play it with no limits. How is it unfair to the community? Because playing at high slot servers is more fun then a simple 6 player? I dont really get that.

Oh btw. you can get 8 player co-up with L4D using a sourcemod plugin. The servers are not de-listed.

However gay an 8 player coop game would be your still only 8 players. Your just forcing players to a team.

Just my opinion and my opinion wont change anything. Just dont expect my self to support your servers has it like you say I can play the game like I want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course they are boring, that's why so many people play on them. Oh wait, that logic doesn't work does it? :D

Who knows, maybe the popularity of these larger scale servers will take the game in a different direction.

Damn, where's the server ranking that TF2 has when you need it.

Disconnects and ragequits would see these servers delisted in no time.

Well, the ones that decided to run those stupid KF default maps that can't pack 40+ people into a trader. Also those unsupported random disconnects would help drop the ranking faster too I presume.

Upvote 0

The shortest period with cron is 1 minute. The crontab would be
Code:
0-59 * * * * cd /path/to/script/ && ./6slotsplus

Using your script will produce new files
Code:
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20.1
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20.2
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20.3

Everytime you run the script one more file. You can imagine the ammount when you run the script via cron...
I stoped that by adding this line at the end of your script:
Code:
wget "http://$USERNAME:$PASSWORD@$SERVER:$PORT/ServerAdmin/current_console?SendText=set Engine.GameInfo MaxPlayers 20" &&
rm -v *20

You have to change the number at the end to the numbers of your slots if you want to run your server with an other slotnumber.

Anyway i would be interested in the way by checking the log like too.

Upvote 0
You can get it running more frequently than one minute with cron simply by making cron call a containing script every min which contains :

ie

* * * * * /path/to/script/slotscript

slotscript contains :

#!/bin/bash
6plusslots
sleep 20
6plusslots
sleep 20
6plusslots
sleep 20

That way the script runs every 20 seconds, but is still a 1 min cron job. Never said this was a nice method ahah :)

As for the files being left behind, easiest way to fix this is to add --delete-after to the wget string, ie it becomes :
Code:
wget "http://$USERNAME:$PASSWORD@$SERVER:$PORT/ServerAdmin/current_console?SendText=set Engine.GameInfo MaxPlayers 20" --delete-after

As for the auto calling - been to busy with an injured cat and work to get something nice written - hopefully will have more time this week. It is doable though, i've worked that much out for sure !

The shortest period with cron is 1 minute. The crontab would be
Code:
0-59 * * * * cd /path/to/script/ && ./6slotsplus
Using your script will produce new files
Code:
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20.1
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20.2
current_console?SendText=set\ Engine.GameInfo\ MaxPlayers\ 20.3
Everytime you run the script one more file. You can imagine the ammount when you run the script via cron...
I stoped that by adding this line at the end of your script:
Code:
wget "http://$USERNAME:$PASSWORD@$SERVER:$PORT/ServerAdmin/current_console?SendText=set Engine.GameInfo MaxPlayers 20" &&
rm -v *20
You have to change the number at the end to the numbers of your slots if you want to run your server with an other slotnumber.

Anyway i would be interested in the way by checking the log like too.

Upvote 0