• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Left 4 Dead 2 Announced

I love how after Killing Floor sold so well, Valve decides to take their melee weapon concepts. Fire Axe and Chainsaw? Might as well add the Machete and Combat Knife. Why not add a Crossbow and Double-Barreled Shotgun while they're at it?

Not only that, but they're screwing all the original Left 4 Dead owners by revealing that the free "DLC" they've been waiting on for so long will now be sold to them as a $49.99 game instead...

Well played, Valve. Well played...

Upvote 0
Seeing how Valve operates via there games, this is a huge surprise. Any game from them with a number on the end takes forever to come out. And TBH I was disappointed with L4D 1, it simply didn't have the replay value everyone was expecting/the game needed. Unfortunately, it seems Valve has changed enough with this "sequel" to patch it in as a DLC would be unfeasibly difficult. Sigh... I wish Turtle Rock Studios never got bought by Valve, L4D could have been something more.

Upvote 0
1. No way they got Chainsaw and Fireaxe from KF. Really, what else do you kill zombies with anyway? Neither game invented them.

2. L4D was something different...L4D2 seems different yet again. Keep in mind, it's still a long way off, and things can change. We also don't know any details of how exactly the new AI Director works...nor do we know all of the content.

I'll probably be buying it...was a lot of fun the first time, and promises to deliver again.

Upvote 0
As a long time valve supporter, I can only say I am disappointed in this announcement. Hope you guys enjoy rubbing my $50 around your..

And to salt the wound.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/valve_details_post_left_4_dead_launch_plans.html

Valve intends to support hotly anticipated zombie survival shooter Left 4 Dead post-release with new characters, new maps, new achievements and new weapons in order to grow the community, Gabe Newell has revealed.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at Leipzig Games Convention, the Valve co-founder and managing director said the developer intended to follow a similar downloadable content policy as it has with Team Fortress 2.

Left 4 Dead, set for release on PC and Xbox 360 on November 21 in Europe, is primarily a four-player cooperative game that sees a group of Survivors battle through four 'Movies' and against 28 Days Later-style zombies called The Infected.

Newell said that Valve's support of the game post-launch will be essential for growing the community.

He said: "One of the things that we're doing is we seem to be in a transition between games as a package product and games more of a service. So if you look at Team Fortress 2, one of things that's really helped grow the community is the continuous updates, where we release new maps, new character classes, new unlockables, new weapons. And we tell the stories about the characters, like the meet the sniper, or meet the sandwich. And that ongoing delivery of content really seems to grow the community.

"So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Valve really screwed up this time. Within a day the steam group that's boycotting L4D2 is already up 1700 members. Minus a few trolls in the group that is exceptionally high for only 1 day.

Personally I'm still sitting on the fence for this one. Valve has dissapointed me with their latest move, but i'm still waiting for more information on what's going to happen with L4D and the cost of L4D2.

Upvote 0
Everyone who's saying "melee weapons ripped from other games" needs to get a ****ing clue. Wow! Killing Floor/insert other game invented the axe and the chainsaw. Are you kidding? If you want to think of it that way, almost every game has ripped weapons from other games so get over it. It's called progression. Melee weapons were obviously a needed addition to bring more weapon variety. Get over yourselves.

As for Valve wanting to make money, well DUH. That's what their business is. If you don't want to buy it, fine. I'll be playing L4D in a new setting, which is worth the price of admission alone. I would have gladly paid for DLC maps anyway. I've been playing the game since release, so that's 7 months now. Yeah, I'd say I got my $60 worth. Sheesh.

Upvote 0
As for Valve wanting to make money, well DUH. That's what their business is. If you don't want to buy it, fine. I'll be playing L4D in a new setting, which is worth the price of admission alone. I would have gladly paid for DLC maps anyway. I've been playing the game since release, so that's 7 months now. Yeah, I'd say I got my $60 worth. Sheesh.
We've had the "They're a business they are in it to make money" discussion dozens of times about different publishers/developers before on this forum and Valve have never stood out as a developer intent on milking things in this way. The support that was promised for L4D has been slow, lacklustre and superficial.

I suspect entirely that the reason for the delays in content and the long awaited SDK/Authoring tools (which was only opened for Beta two weeks ago) was because they didn't want L4D to have an extremely active custom community with dozens of custom campaigns/weapons etc when they announced L4D2 which as we've all gathered, is merely an expansion with some new features.

How well it's received will purely be down to how much it is. If it is full price then anyone who's purchased L4D has the right to feel aggrieved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...The support that was promised for L4D has been slow, lacklustre and superficial...

By support, you mean free stuff. Don't kick a gift horse, etc...

...If it is full price then anyone who's purchased L4D has the right to feel aggrieved.

I don't see it that way. I paid for 1 game...and at $4.20/day, it's well worth the price of admission. Cheaper than a damn movie...and entertaining for far longer.

Get over yourselves.

Upvote 0
The money isn't the issue. The issue is that Valve is going back on everything they stood for with this move. They used to pride themselves on how they'd get tons of new players every time they'd release a new free update.

People who think this **** is okay are the reason EA, Activision, and Ubisoft can get away with ****ting out lackluster squeals year after year.

Upvote 0
By support, you mean free stuff. Don't kick a gift horse, etc...

It is not completely about this free stuff or DLC or whatever people might consider it to be. Considering that L4D2 has been in progress since L4D came out and the team has been focusing more on the sequel, it feels fairly questionable that some major updates has been discussed and promised, but so far not delivered (E.G. fixing lobby issues, MM 2.0 etc) or as the SDK which is only a beta and was released roughly six months after the release, it is no wonder why people are pretty pissed off.

As speculative as everything is so far, it's still pretty much going on with the idea of first impression. Release a mod in early alpha which sucks *** and ask people to test and give feedback, you could say that very rough majority will declare it as poor, completely half-arsed job and will not touch it ever again even if it would be later declared as best game ever. They still remember the poor first impression they got and are snobby about it. Or like one major reason for Me 410's number and "name" was to avoid any real connection to Me 210.

Upvote 0