• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hooray for Campaigns: But a trap that must be avoided...

Ironsights

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 30, 2009
I'll phrase this briefly:

Don't sell out... please.

Red Orchestra is a game relatively unknown by the sweaty masses and their Xbox360s, PS3s and Nintendo Urines, and this is a good thing. Though I have ever confidence that Tripwire is aware of the fact that their core market is comprised of people that continue to play Red Orchestra because it offers unrivalled realism, I fear that there may be some proft-seeking evil corporate suit types who'd rather believe that people play Red Orchestra, with all its flaws and dated graphics, because we just love WWII multiplayer games; if that was true, I am afrad RO would have lost out to CoD: WaW yonks ago.

But anyhoo, enough slating of a game I love... I'll try to reiterate on what I am trying to get accross here: I am delighted to hear that there will be at least one campaign within RO:HoS but the prickles on the back of my neck are up with worry: I want to set aside any doubt that RO might "sell out" and go down the cinematic and arcadey route: AKA Call of Duty's opening Enemy at the Gates ripoff... or perhaps how Brothers in Arms (a game I loved) "sold out" and gave us Hell's Highway... that... spawn... of evil... Oh and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising looks set to the same... seems every "realistic" war game gets bought out eventually.

But! What do *I* as a player expect from HoS? I expect the atmosphere of war and brutality to be carried over to the campaign. I want a campaign that doesn't try to wow us with historically inaccurate "suicide charges" or hopping from person to person along the course of the war... I want a persistent realistic gameplay experience, with a good portion of the game perhaps even spent out of combat; finding the enemy, or even just sitting in a wrecked warehouse, the Reds just a couple of rooms away! I read history books, I enjoy reading about Stalingrad; it was a battle where the resilience of humans truly was tested; I want to see the conditions they lived in, I don't want to see aryan supermen, I want to see frosbitten sorry wrecks, suffering from dysentry, red-nosed and cheeked, huddling for warmth in sorry excuses for blankets. I want to see crying, blood and horror... I don't want some awe-inspiring orchestral soundtrack designed to make me weep a tear for those that were lost. I just want a realistic experience.

So please, Tripwire, do not give us any set-pieces, epic cinematics, or rousing speeches... Just give us a name, a place, and a time period the game won't deviate from, and let us play a week in a soldier's life, no huge battles... Just the day to day skirmishes and seeking of the enemy... Perhaps even battling for just *one* building. RO is known for its realism, it's a nich

Last edited:
I agree with most of this, though I don't have a big issue with "set pieces", as long as they are realistically done.

i.e. one soldier should not be responsible for winning an entire battle

Playing in the Battle of Stalingrad should work just like being a soldier in the battle of Stalingrad. The player should be a small part of a much larger battle.

Adding more choices for the player would also add to the replayability.

So perhaps players could choose to join different squadrons at the start of a campaign, so they would experience different parts of the same battles.

Also maybe the player should get some choice in the role he will play in the campaign, so they could be promoted to marksman, combat engineer, or sergeant etc, depending on how the player plays.

I'd like it if the singleplayer campaign was more realistic in its portrayal of war, and not simplistic good vs evil hollywood.

It shouldn't be about fighting evil and saving innocent children from the big bad, but the daily realities of soldiering, and the often pointless brutality of the killing and military bureaucracy.

Singleplayer could also be an opportunity to introduce elements of realism that wouldn't work in multiplayer.

For example delivering messages between military hierarchy is pointless in multiplayer, but in singleplayer it could be an important part of the game. Either for a player to cover a messenger or actually be a messenger.

Upvote 0
I was thinking this, it probably won't make it in the game but whatever.. this is Russian by the way.

You start the Russian campaign off as a small kid, you put the date you want your character to be born, his name, hair color, eye color, body fat, muscles...etc. Then a cutscene appears and you are 16 (or legal age to join Russian Army). This would be 1939. Your character is a Russian going through basic training (sorry don't know much about eastern front during ww2). You do basic drills doing rifles, and things. Then at the training camp you do simple tasks to have your squad trust in you. For example your in combat but one character who you didn't do a optional task for is jerk like to you. So you have little jobs to do, help your squad mates do stuff. So then after that you can finally edit your rifle. Add a small engraving to it if you want.

Then you are sent to combat, but it's realistic. For example, you must ride to the battle or headquarters real time. So if it takes 30 minutes to get to a certain point, you must ride 30 minutes. But you can progress the time so it goes by faster. But when your on the transport you can talk to your men. You learn all about the men in your squad. So when you have a voice command, if you talk about something your character is mad about or sad about. He will get mad at you for bringing up something in his past. You can make you and your squad better friends too, (lol).. So once you finally get into Stalingrad, the battle would start in the morning. It would last at least an hour in the game (more if you die alot). Once you are in your squad fighting, the day will go by and by. Once some part of the fighting is over you can move around with friends, go on recon missions your commander tells you. You can get rewarded for certain kills and achievements, and its basically a open environment. You can go with a squad member as certain things are happening in the game. For instance at one point if you search around you can save a soldier from getting executed and ambush a German squad. As war progresses you can change looks and stuff...yeah

Upvote 0
I'll phrase this briefly:

Don't sell out... please.

Red Orchestra is a game relatively unknown by the sweaty masses and their Xbox360s, PS3s and Nintendo Urines, and this is a good thing. Though I have ever confidence that Tripwire is aware of the fact that their core market is comprised of people that continue to play Red Orchestra because it offers unrivalled realism, I fear that there may be some proft-seeking evil corporate suit types who'd rather believe that people play Red Orchestra, with all its flaws and dated graphics, because we just love WWII multiplayer games; if that was true, I am afrad RO would have lost out to CoD: WaW yonks ago.

But anyhoo, enough slating of a game I love... I'll try to reiterate on what I am trying to get accross here: I am delighted to hear that there will be at least one campaign within RO:HoS but the prickles on the back of my neck are up with worry: I want to set aside any doubt that RO might "sell out" and go down the cinematic and arcadey route: AKA Call of Duty's opening Enemy at the Gates ripoff... or perhaps how Brothers in Arms (a game I loved) "sold out" and gave us Hell's Highway... that... spawn... of evil... Oh and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising looks set to the same... seems every "realistic" war game gets bought out eventually.

But! What do *I* as a player expect from HoS? I expect the atmosphere of war and brutality to be carried over to the campaign. I want a campaign that doesn't try to wow us with historically inaccurate "suicide charges" or hopping from person to person along the course of the war... I want a persistent realistic gameplay experience, with a good portion of the game perhaps even spent out of combat; finding the enemy, or even just sitting in a wrecked warehouse, the Reds just a couple of rooms away! I read history books, I enjoy reading about Stalingrad; it was a battle where the resilience of humans truly was tested; I want to see the conditions they lived in, I don't want to see aryan supermen, I want to see frosbitten sorry wrecks, suffering from dysentry, red-nosed and cheeked, huddling for warmth in sorry excuses for blankets. I want to see crying, blood and horror... I don't want some awe-inspiring orchestral soundtrack designed to make me weep a tear for those that were lost. I just want a realistic experience.

So please, Tripwire, do not give us any set-pieces, epic cinematics, or rousing speeches... Just give us a name, a place, and a time period the game won't deviate from, and let us play a week in a soldier's life, no huge battles... Just the day to day skirmishes and seeking of the enemy... Perhaps even battling for just *one* building. RO is known for its realism, it's a nich

Upvote 0
I was thinking this, it probably won't make it in the game but whatever.. this is Russian by the way.

You start the Russian campaign off as a small kid, you put the date you want your character to be born, his name, hair color, eye color, body fat, muscles...etc. Then a cutscene appears and you are 16 (or legal age to join Russian Army). This would be 1939. Your character is a Russian going through basic training (sorry don't know much about eastern front during ww2). You do basic drills doing rifles, and things. Then at the training camp you do simple tasks to have your squad trust in you. For example your in combat but one character who you didn't do a optional task for is jerk like to you. So you have little jobs to do, help your squad mates do stuff. So then after that you can finally edit your rifle. Add a small engraving to it if you want.

Then you are sent to combat, but it's realistic. For example, you must ride to the battle or headquarters real time. So if it takes 30 minutes to get to a certain point, you must ride 30 minutes. But you can progress the time so it goes by faster. But when your on the transport you can talk to your men. You learn all about the men in your squad. So when you have a voice command, if you talk about something your character is mad about or sad about. He will get mad at you for bringing up something in his past. You can make you and your squad better friends too, (lol).. So once you finally get into Stalingrad, the battle would start in the morning. It would last at least an hour in the game (more if you die alot). Once you are in your squad fighting, the day will go by and by. Once some part of the fighting is over you can move around with friends, go on recon missions your commander tells you. You can get rewarded for certain kills and achievements, and its basically a open environment. You can go with a squad member as certain things are happening in the game. For instance at one point if you search around you can save a soldier from getting executed and ambush a German squad. As war progresses you can change looks and stuff...yeah

Not to bash your idea or anything, but it's not an RPG. It's a war game. Basic training is necessary, yeah, but the whole "driving in" thing also seems a bit ridicolous.

Upvote 0