• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Critical Error at Startup

ankush

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 27, 2009
Okay so I started the game after downloading it (first time playing) and I got a "critical error at startup" message.... sigh
Here is a screenshot of it:
28gshdt.jpg

Please someone help me. I've been waiting for a long time to play this as my exams were on.

Thank you

Btw, the log was completely empty.

System specs:
Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ
Geforce 8800 gts 320 mb
P5N32E SLI Motherboard
4GB Ram
Windows XP SP3
Bitdefender & Webroot Spysweeper (Both I tried disabling, nothing)

I doubt it is any of the below as I can play many other games fine (even red orchestra) for that matter. Pretty sure nothing wrong with my system.

Here is my dxdiag anyways:
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?nghuwz2tdzm[/URL]

Btw I am pretty sure it is isolated to the game somehow.

Upvote 0
From that Screenshot, it looks like you are attempting to run the game executable directly, but you need to be running the game through Steam.

If that is not the problem, please try Verifying Game Cache in Steam or deleting everything and redownloading it. This doesn't look like an error in the game or with your hardware, simply looks like there are files missing or corrupted.

Upvote 0
i got the same problem. i've been trying to get help (for almost a week now since i've downloaded the game) with getting my game to work even for once. but, i still have no lucks. ive tried every suggestions i can find and none would work. im still looking forward to at least play it once... i mean i've spent $19.99 for the game and i cant even play it once.
here is my screen shot of the error.

Attachments

• screenshot_001.jpg
    screenshot_001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Those are actually 2 different issues Brutus. I wish we had some direct answers for you guys on how to fix these issues, but unfortunately we have no idea what's causing them. Please continue to try anything you can and let everyone know if you find a solution because other people are having the same issues.

From the error messages and logs that you guys are getting, we can only make random guesses as to what is happening, as we have never seen or heard of anything like it. Good Luck, guys!

Upvote 0
Those are actually 2 different issues Brutus. I wish we had some direct answers for you guys on how to fix these issues, but unfortunately we have no idea what's causing them. Please continue to try anything you can and let everyone know if you find a solution because other people are having the same issues.

From the error messages and logs that you guys are getting, we can only make random guesses as to what is happening, as we have never seen or heard of anything like it. Good Luck, guys!
Thank you for acknowledging our problems. At least, now we know u guys are awared of our problem. i really hope u guys can fix it 'cause my friends are playing and i cant join them yet.

Upvote 0
FMallocWindowns::Free should simply be freeing of memory within the Unreal Engine. It deletes an item to allow Windows to use that memory for itself or other applications running on your machine. When the game shuts down, it runs FMallocWindows::Free millions of times to delete everything it created. Oddly, though, this seems to be the root of many crashes that happen after the game has been running for a while, not just when the game is launched.

The problem is that we have no identification for what is actually causing the crash since FMallocWindows::Free can be run on any part of the game at any time. The only way for us the properly understand what's causing this would be to have the problem on one of the machines within our studio and we have never seen this problem.

Oh, by the way, by External Programs, he means anything that you have running on your machine aside from Killing Floor and Steam. Particularly anti-virus programs, firewall programs, control panel programs(for audio and video cards), etc.

Upvote 0
i get the same error

i get the same error

The game started up fine, then i went to settings and fixed everything and i think i may have checked software instead of direct 3D or whatever, then from then on i get that error. Is there a way to get the settings back to normal? I tried reinstalling it from steam, but i havent done a hard delete yet.

Upvote 0
You can either delete KillingFloor.ini in [drive]:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\killingfloor\System
or open it and change
[Engine.Engine]
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice

to
[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice