• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF - Pandoras Box

I'm on page 2, oh noes, that'll never do /o\

Time for an update! \o/

YouTube - Pandoras Box Production Lapse
Final result is in the Attachments.

Time Lapse of me making a new room in KF. I dunno, I like seeing how mappers make their levels. And I wanted to show that stuff is being done, this room only took me half an hour to do. Which is surprisingly quick :eek:

Already got one comment without posting it here. No idea how that guy came across it, but that's awesome :D

Version 2 is getting there. Still got places I wanna add, and I'm TRYING to fix that server bug. Honestly. I am. Borrowed a few of the ZED/AM servers to muck around with, time to piss everyone off with crashing :D

Attachments

• lapsefinal.jpg
    lapsefinal.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Soon, I can't really say when though(Monday-ish? I work weekends). I don't like rushing everything, I want this to be a good release rather than having to release another .5 version the next day.

Also still trying to sort out the server crash thing, proving to be quite the *****. >_> I have no clue what it could be. I've fixed all the pathnodes, no errors come up when building at all...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definatly is starting to look more pretty Matt.
One thing that is really bothering me in that screenshot is the boiler, it seems very out of place, and just stuck in, atleast don't bother putting silly little railings around it.
I see you found a place for my meshes ;D But the main doors in the screenshot look HUGE compared to what i expected, infact i cant imagine any 'pull/push' doors that would be so big, why not use shutters (like garage shutters) instead?

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Version 2.0 Released!

Version 2.0 Released!

Sorry it took so long, but here is Version 2 of Pandoras Box.

ZED/AM Direct Download

Hint. Don't go outside :D

Changelog is on first page.
Quick Note for server admins,
I've fixed almost everything in the map. There are no build errors, and when playing we noticed it was a sorta 50/50 chance it will crash on map change, leaning slightly towards NOT crashing. Sorry I'll continue to look at it in 2.5, I just wanted this released :-/

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I'm not sure if I like the snow particles effects in the vents.

Also, the dying if you go out was kinda lame lol... you can just make that area a small yard and do allow people to go outside (Doom III small area-style).

Nevertheless, my server's updated with this one now ;-)

I like the other added details.

Upvote 0
It's -40C to -50C out there. And you aren't wearing clothes that would suit a cold place, you'd freeze, you'd die.

Thats not including wind chill and snow, your eyes are suited to the inside as you've been in the facility for sometime. OK maybe you'd not die so fast, but it certainly wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

Upvote 0
Umm... ok some observations after playing tonight:

- The path to the dealer by that dock place points up. I've noticed this problem with other maps too (KF-Marshes?), the path leads ABOVE the dealer (?!). Is this some kind of weirdness with map design that you have to put a node explicitly below a dealer for it to point directly inside (instead of "above" the dealers) or something?!

- The "outside" area... EVERY single new player tried going in it lol. It's just way too inviting / bright to not try it, and nobody notices the writing. Not a big deal, but funny... maybe make the notice more visible?

- The "dock" area. WAY too easy. There are only 2 corridors that lead there and it's incredibly easy to camp. I think you should add a spawn somewhere behind the players (or a hole for spiders in the corner by the bright gate that leads outside), or even make the spawn outside (so they come in through the bright door - that would be cool. That way people have to guard 3 ways instead of just 2 long corridors which are very easy to clear.

Hopefully v2.1 soon :-D

Upvote 0
I like the additions so far. One minor complaint though, the use of a door texture when its not actually functional.

door.jpg

Upvote 0
Oh come on thats REALLY picky, how many doors are there on BioticsLabs that ACTUALLY work? :p

.5 versions are much quicker to do, but I'm re-doing the outside, check the changelog on the first post.

Specimens should spawn from outside, I musta ****ed something up somewhere.

Everything about this release was so rushed :( People need to stop PM'ing me asking me about stuff D:

Upvote 0
o_0!?

Crashing the server?

1.5 never crashed mine, and this hasn't yet... or maybe i don't notice if it auto-restarts?!

BTW an outside area would rock + specimens spawning from outside...

Win.

P.S. Just checked the changelog and... why don't you just remove the damage altogether? Just make it uberdangerous with like 35 specimen spawns (crawlers especially)... That will make people go back inside.

BTW if the snow effect en masse is not very "expensive," someone should make a "WestLondonWinter" immediately lol ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dont know if this has been said, but I found a few bugs :

In some of the holes in the ceilings, Stalkers and Crawlers can get stuck and you have to throw a grenade up there to kill them.

In the Trader in the cave (at the back of the command center) there is a GIANT bullpup, it clips through some stuff and is ugly.

Upvote 0
You never know ;)

Work on this project will be suspended for awhile. My 1TB drive containing all my games just failed, no clue what happened. The BIOS was corrupted too, but it wasn't a virus attack. I've reset the BIOS back to original, but the data in the 1TB disk is being sent for recovery. Hopefully they can pull of the data. The rest of my PC works, but I'm stuck without any games, including the editor, and my current version of the map for awhile(hopefully I'll get them back D: )

I just got back into Windows today, the boot flags on the OS were gone, and the Boot Manager needed reinstalled. Thank God for Linux Live CD's :D

Sorry, it sucks 10x harder for me than it does for you :p

It's a known "error" apparently, a DiamondMax 22. Sucks, it was the only drive without redundancy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0