• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Exclusive : Perks enabled on rented servers with 6+ slots

Yes, and the fact that you use chatspeak show's you're THAT much more of a 'legit' hosting company...

I was stating a fact, so yeah: I can believe whatever I want to believe, and that's based on a true/proveable fact. You took someones public fix for this issue and claimed not only that it was "exclusive" to your servers, but also that it was a "trade secret" which is an act of claiming it under your company's ownership. I don't care where your servers are located, or who you service, it's a bad practice. you shouldn't even be advertising in this section anyways...

You dummy, hes not saying the method to change the maxplayers is a trade secret, hes saying the way he automates it is.

Upvote 0
Anybody with half a brain can do that.
Yes, you have shown that quite clearly.
Now lets see how you go providing and offering servers to people with this feature.

I use this method on my 12 Man-64 Zombie server and the CPU never goes over 40% usage. The memory usage of the server and the two FireFox tabs I have open never goes above 250MB in usage.

My server using a x2 5200+ 2.7GHz CPU, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM(Single stick) and a old IDE 250GB HDD. All on a 20/1 Mb connection :D
That's nice for you. But correct me if I'm wrong, this isn't the topic for you to post your specs of your home server. I'm sure your method is fine for ONE server, but how does it apply if you're running/providing multiple servers to mutliple clients? It doesn't exaclty.

People don't get kicked off of my server either.
It looks like they can't even get on now, I think you should look into purchasing a dedciated server, they are generally more reliable.

The method of automation was discussed in a previous thread...
Whatever you have to tell yourself though.

Yep, whatever you have to tell yourself, there is and there will only be ONE way to automate it and it's been done, finito.

Heck don't bother trying to make it efficent by detecting mapchanges, resets and only sending the command then, or error recorvery when the server isn't running, or applying it to multiple servers.

I belive A method was found. There are better ways to do it other than just hammering webui with a string over and over again, but as it was put earlier..

Anybody with half a brain can do that.

Back on topic though, awesome idea! All the GSP's I have seen only offer the 6 slot option.

I can't find anything on your site that says what location you are offering servers in. Would I be correct in assuming that the french flag on the demo server means you're only offering servers in this location?

I'm not sure about other people but I generally don't want to purchase a game server that's not or can't be hosted from my country.

And if the site doesn't say or provide the location I just normally assume it's an American GSP and skip over it.

Upvote 0
I can't find anything on your site that says what location you are offering servers in. Would I be correct in assuming that the french flag on the demo server means you're only offering servers in this location?

I'm not sure about other people but I generally don't want to purchase a game server that's not or can't be hosted from my country.

And if the site doesn't say or provide the location I just normally assume it's an American GSP and skip over it.

Currently offering Paris, France only as location but planning to get new locations in a near future thats why locations are (is) in the order form.

Theres a ping tester on the website > gameservers page but for KF ping doesnt matter that much as its based on udp. Altho Id recommend you to make live tests on servers instead of basing your judgement on the geographical location only as you can experiment better gaming experiences on foreign servers if they got better connection quality (less packets loss, better routing).

Upvote 0
I'd be all over this except for three things. Price (~$3.00 / slot is pretty high), location (Paris is too far away for us NAers), and this comment:

Theres a ping tester on the website > gameservers page but for KF ping doesnt matter that much as its based on udp.

... I wasn't going to comment on this, but I have to. What!? "Ping doesn't matter because KF is based on UDP" (paraphrased)? That statement makes no sense at all...

The Ping (an ICMP protocol, though most of the time gameservers implement it over TCP) is still very valuable in determining how your response time is going to be to the server. The packets (whether TCP or UDP) will still take a very similar route from point-A to point-B, the only difference being UDP doesn't spend the time to ensure on the receiving end that the packets: (a) arrived in order; (b) arrived at all or (c) acking that the packet was received.

I'm kind of at a loss on that statement.

Anyways, get your servers into North America and lower the prices when you arrive, and I'd be interested in grabbing a 32 slot server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WTF! lock this thread and trash it already.

WTF! lock this thread and trash it already.

I've been lingering on this forum for a week or so looking for some great information which helped me set up my own KF server to put along side my L4D server... I registered just to comment in this thread...

Correct me if I'm wrong... [you'll probably correct me either way]..
But this is Technical Support > Dedicated Server Support section, is it not?
Which leads me to think this place is for server admins, by server admins to help fellow admins... So who are you advertising too? other admins...
You are just bragging about yer little fix and calling it exclusive...

Shame on you. Topic should be locked and trashed, IMO.

Wonder how life would be if the other members of this forum, who posted their info in the first place, if they kept it as 'trade secret'.

You be up creek with no paddle, GFY. :mad:

Upvote 0
I'd be all over this except for three things. Price (~$3.00 / slot is pretty high), location (Paris is too far away for us NAers), and this comment:

... I wasn't going to comment on this, but I have to. What!? "Ping doesn't matter because KF is based on UDP" (paraphrased)? That statement makes no sense at all...

The Ping (an ICMP protocol, though most of the time gameservers implement it over TCP) is still very valuable in determining how your response time is going to be to the server. The packets (whether TCP or UDP) will still take a very similar route from point-A to point-B, the only difference being UDP doesn't spend the time to ensure on the receiving end that the packets: (a) arrived in order; (b) arrived at all or (c) acking that the packet was received.

I'm kind of at a loss on that statement.

Anyways, get your servers into North America and lower the prices when you arrive, and I'd be interested in grabbing a 32 slot server.

I was asked about ping so just said the tool was on webpage nothing else.

Price can seem high to you cuz of the change rate

Upvote 0
I hate to burst your bubble, but our next update will likely invalidate this setup. So I wouldn't be selling people this and advertising it as "> 6 players and perks enabled". They'll be pretty mad when the update comes out and the server they paid for no longer supports perks with greater than 6 players. If we wanted servers to be perks/stats enabled with greater than 6 players we would have added it to the core game. The update will still allow people to use these types of things to get greater than 6 players, just not with the perks/stats.

We're all for people customizing the game and doing whatever they want as far as player counts, custom maps, mods, mutators etc. We're just not too supportive of things that try and circumvent the perks/stats system protections.

Upvote 0
I hate to burst your bubble, but our next update will likely invalidate this setup. So I wouldn't be selling people this and advertising it as "> 6 players and perks enabled". They'll be pretty mad when the update comes out and the server they paid for no longer supports perks with greater than 6 players. If we wanted servers to be perks/stats enabled with greater than 6 players we would have added it to the core game. The update will still allow people to use these types of things to get greater than 6 players, just not with the perks/stats.

We're all for people customizing the game and doing whatever they want as far as player counts, custom maps, mods, mutators etc. We're just not too supportive of things that try and circumvent the perks/stats system protections.

well thats too bad cuz most popular servers are the +6 ones if you check game tracker ranking for exemple. And among my friends 5 out of 6 bought the game and play full time on "big" servers (6th one stopped playing for exams) which means if perks get disabled they will probably just stop playing or play less than what they use to.
Same goes for me and Im speaking as a player not as a GSP, I used to play almost only on 6 men servers but got bored and im now almost only playing on my 32 slots. Altho I dont care about perks so for me with or without perks it will be fine but if big servers get empty cuz of no perks well i ll be forced to stop playing aswell.

Not to mention big chances there will be another way to increase the slots amount with perks enabled.

I guess I will just have to disable KF steam update on my main comp to play on my 32 men server when i want to.

Upvote 0

You sir are a bad *** :)

As a Player I fully Support this!!!

Upvote 0
I'm sad to hear the perks system will be disabled on servers with more than 6 players. The change will certainly kill the 12 player server that I ran and many players enjoy. The server will be shut down if this change is included in a future update.

I fail to understand why you consider an increased player limit an abuse of the perks system. Your game scales perfectly when additional player slots are added. The waves are larger but there are more players vying for the kills. I've played roughly half my total game time on a 12 person server and I haven't noticed an increase in my perk leveling rate. I would consider 6 players on a map designed solely for leveling an abuse of the system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After talking to one of our engineers, it appears that the usage of perks will be allowed on servers with greater than 6 players as long as they don't use any non-whitelisted mutators. You just won't be able to advance your perks/stats/achievements.

As far as whether or not this affects how quickly you can gain perks, this most certainly does. Several of the perks are based on how much damage you deal with certain weapons. And several of the specimen's health scales with the number of players. For instance, if you have a Fleshpound whose health would be a max of 3,000 with 6 players, and then you have 32 players and its health is 50,000, then players can take turns shooting him and very very quickly rack up damage.

Upvote 0
After talking to one of our engineers, it appears that the usage of perks will be allowed on servers with greater than 6 players as long as they don't use any non-whitelisted mutators. You just won't be able to advance your perks/stats/achievements.

As far as whether or not this affects how quickly you can gain perks, this most certainly does. Several of the perks are based on how much damage you deal with certain weapons. And several of the specimen's health scales with the number of players. For instance, if you have a Fleshpound whose health would be a max of 3,000 with 6 players, and then you have 32 players and its health is 50,000, then players can take turns shooting him and very very quickly rack up damage.

thats a good news.

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to adjust your algorithms to scale back the damage credit the player receives? In your example a player doing damage to the 50,000HP fleshpound would receive 1 perk damage point for every 4 or so he actually does to the fleshpound.

Thanks for at least allowing perks to be used on large servers. I'll still be taking my 12-person server down. Nobody wants to live through the hell that is a 12-person KF-Marshes round with 64 zombies onscreen at once and not get any character advancment.

Upvote 0