• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Optimum Computer for RO: HOS?

What do folks think will be the computer system needed to play RO: HOS. Not only the minimum system requirements, but what kind of system do you think will be needed to play at an optimal level with all graphics candy etc.?

I ask because I'll probably buy a new computer between now and when the game comes out and I want to be sure I have a good computer for the game -- again, not just the bare minimum but a system that can play the game very very well. In other words I don't want to have to upgrade again when after the game comes out.

Some specifics: dual core or quad or...?
Desirable CPU
Desirable graphics card

I should probably consider future community maps, too. A system that can play basic RO:OF can bog down on a map like Alte-Ziegelei.

Just trying to "future-proof" my system -- not forever, but for a few years if possible

Some specifics: dual core or quad or...?
Desirable CPU
Desirable graphics card

Just trying to "future-proof" my system -- not forever, but for a few years if possible

If you want to future proof your system then you'll want higher end specs than what RO: HOS will require.

If you want all the eye candy (anti aliasing and ansiotropic filtering and such) then based off UT3 you'll want something a little more powerful than an 8800 GTX (50-60 fps at 1680x1050) or a 4850 (60-70 fps at 1680x1050) (tomshardware, anandtech and some other sites).

A quad core will benefit you more than dual core for future system proofing but on ut3 it won't make as much of a difference as having less faster cores (i920 was 20% faster than Q6600 for ut3, yet only 8% faster than E8600) (extremetech)

If your budget isn't so high then I'd suggest a 260 gtx and I'd personally choose an e8500 over any cpu for it's price/power ratio but thats just me and it's dual core so not as future safe as 3-4 core cpu.

If you have a good budget then get an i7 series like the i920 or i940 and grab a single 280gtx/4870x2 or higher so you have the option to drop another in at a later date.

Upvote 0
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks, Jaek, that was very helpful.

My other big decision is which OS to get. I notice some tests show UT3 runs faster on XP than on Vista, at least for nVidia cards.

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183499/p-4.html[/URL]

But then there is also the question of Windows 7. So I've got a few options:
1. XP
2. Vista
3. Wait for Windows 7 release
4. Buy a system with XP or Vista now and install a Windows 7 pre-release version over it.

So many decisions and all I want to do is blow stuff up.:p

Upvote 0
UT3 flies on my mid/high-range system (Duo2 E6550/ATI 4870/4GB RAM) but I just tested out America's Army 3 beta (uses UT3 engine) and it was a pig. I'm hoping that they just haven't optimized it yet, but it has a long way to go until it's ready.

Even with TWI's smaller crew and hell of a lot less budget, I have more faith in them with the UT3 engine then the AA3 team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UT3 flies on my mid/high-range system (Duo2 E6550/ATI 4870/4GB RAM) but I just tested out America's Army 3 beta (uses UT3 engine) and it was a pig. I'm hoping that they just haven't optimized it yet, but it has a long way to go until it's ready.

Even with TWI's smaller crew and hell of a lot less budget, I have more faith in them with the UT3 engine then the AA3 team.

Yes its all too easy for game developers to mess up a perfectly good engine, lets hope Tripwire aren't in that category, we'll just have to wait and see.
All the more reason to release a demo, as soon as reasonably possible, and iron out any problems before the final release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UT3 Runs fine on Windows 7, and since W7 is due for release at the end of this year (before HoS probably) then i would wait til then, and get what you can afford with W7 as the OS.

And if you get a PC before then you can save a little bit by using Win 7 Beta for the time being its vailid up until next year, hardly had a problem with it in terms of compatibility.

Agreeing with others that Jaek has given some good recomendations, though I wouldn't even think about an 8800 or 4850 nowadays at the very least I'd go for 260 or an 4870 and better as budget allows.

Not very clued up in terms of processors but if games are the only intensive apps you run on your PC, at the moment it seems better to get a good dual core rather than an okay quad, though who knows how multicore support (quad in general) will improve in the future.

Upvote 0
I will imagine the game will require a lot more resources than UT3, since it will be modeling a lot more physics/ballistics.

If you really don't need a system right now, I would wait until 2010 to upgrade. By then I am sure a whole new generation of video cards will be released. Perhaps the price of CPUs will drop also.

Upvote 0
ok I just got a quote at my local shop to build this , My main games will be Ro HOS , Insurgency , Americas Army , Quakelive , maybe L4D & fallout 3 if I can run them?

Asus M3A78 (can run up to Phenom 2 940)
AMD Athlon x2 7750 black edition
4 Gig ddr2 800mhz ram
Seagate 500 gig SATA
MsI GTS 250 1GB Pci Express Video
Corsair TX 750W power supply
Windows 7 Beta Free until released ( Im told many gamers are switching to windows 7 & loving it)

This would be an upgrade from my old athlon 2.5 single core with 6800gt , which really isnt even upgradeable anymore

I am on a budget & the above is upgradeable so
So my question is to you guys that know your stuff , will I be able to play all the games mentioned with those specs & be able to run them looking decently pretty & at good framerates?

Also should I bother getting a sound card , will it take any load off the system or not be noticeable?

Upvote 0
I'm on a pretty tight budget myself, so I think I'm just going to opt for the new AMD Athlon II X2 Regor @3.1ghz. That's the new dual core CPU, with 1x2mb L2 cache and no L3 cache. It hangs with the Phenom II X2 for most games, only falling behind in MS Excel spreadsheet processing. And for about 85 bucks...that's hard to beat. I'm going to drop it in an AM3 board, and put 2 gigs of 1033 memory in there. With an AM3 board, I can then wait for the higher priced AM3 chips to come down a bit, and not feel so bad about loosing money on my budget Athlon II investment.

I'll be re-using my HD and optical drives, case, PSU and 3870/512 GPU. And sticking with WinXP SP3 for the moment.

BTW....in benchmarks with a 4890 and Vista 64, this chip was running in the 120 fps range in UT3 at 1600x1200, max detail. So I think I'll be good for RO-2 while only spending 250 or so to get there.

Upvote 0