• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ally Radar

A minimap would be nice but there's a solution that's both realistic and gives you the advantage of a minimap but also promotes communication. That would be to have a map that you can open that shows an overview of the level as well as a marker indicating your position on it and it could be sectioned into grid squares like an actual map or have clearly labeled areas or both. If you need to meet up you could then say over voice chat or text that you're at grid 'D5' or something.

At present there's no clear way to differentiate between any part of most maps, for instance on farm there's almost no obvious landmarks besides the spawn point and the horse fire. Thus this would be highly beneficial.

Upvote 0
A minimap would be nice but there's a solution that's both realistic and gives you the advantage of a minimap but also promotes communication. That would be to have a map that you can open that shows an overview of the level as well as a marker indicating your position on it and it could be sectioned into grid squares like an actual map or have clearly labeled areas or both. If you need to meet up you could then say over voice chat or text that you're at grid 'D5' or something.

At present there's no clear way to differentiate between any part of most maps, for instance on farm there's almost no obvious landmarks besides the spawn point and the horse fire. Thus this would be highly beneficial.
This sounds like a far better idea. Just don't forget the compass. ;)

Upvote 0
Well, some of you might dislike the idea of having a radar of any kind right off the bat because of the way it's fairly unrealistic, but there is a small issue with becoming separated/lost from your teammates and being killed or welded out of fortifications. And heck, we already magically know where the Trader is so:

I propose a simple radar that would replace the spot where the Trader arrow is. Imagine the radar from CS:S as an example. It would track the distance and location of the next Trader, and the location of your allies out to a certain range. Maybe it could also display a beacon-like graphic if someone says something with the voice menu as well, that way you can tell where the guy asking for help or healing is.

Specimens would not be visible on this radar, but maybe it could also incorporate the total number remaining somehow as well to simplify the HUD a little.

Thoughts?
not a bad idea as a mutator and or a client side toggleable within settings.

Upvote 0
This idea seemed nice at first, but then you realize there isn't a competition, and that this isn't L4D and requires a bit of teamwork for you to win, and not for you to just spam ammo and always know where everything is at at all times.

Radar is only useful for knowing that your teammate is coming and not an enemy, and since the enemies don't have projectiles (except three kinda) and since your teammates don't take friendly fire, (gack, L4D dumbness) then it wouldn't be useful at all.

Be near the trader, be near the team.

Upvote 0
This idea seemed nice at first, but then you realize there isn't a competition, and that this isn't L4D and requires a bit of teamwork for you to win, and not for you to just spam ammo and always know where everything is at at all times.

L4D requires teamwork... I don't play it much anymore but there is often competition and knowing where your allies are at all times is essential to staying ahead. Radar/seeing buddies through walls solves the problem people often encounter when nobody can/wants to communicate through VOIP.

I'd even go as far as to say there is *less* competition in KF. It's you and your buddies blasting a bunch of mindless zombies. Being able to glance at a small radar and see where they are would only serve to enhance the experience I think. Remember I did say enemies would NOT be visible, and the radar's range could be short enough that it's not game breaking.

Radar is only useful for knowing that your teammate is coming and not an enemy, and since the enemies don't have projectiles (except three kinda) and since your teammates don't take friendly fire, (gack, L4D dumbness) then it wouldn't be useful at all.

Be near the trader, be near the team.

Being near the team would be easier with some kind of visual indication. Thinking mostly of maps like Farm, or even Manor, where you can easily become separated if you aren't constantly in communication. Yes you could say this is part of the game, but really, not everyone uses their mic. Most of the time the game is dead quiet and people do their own thing, so a short range radar would allow people to implement some kind of teamwork where they would not be able to otherwise.

Upvote 0
I just don't think it is useful to add another big ugly circle to the already dreadful looking HUD that is cluttered with boxes and the color red (shudder.)

If anything at all there should be an extra arrow on top of the arrow now, only a different colour, indicating where the largest group of your team currently is. There could also be a different trail with a different colour.

The only thing I don't want is a radar you don't really need for a game that needs more challenging aspects to it. L4D does not need teamplay, it needs four people who spam buttons.

Upvote 0
Even with a good team and mics its easy to get split up on a map like farm. A radar is needed. The radar would HELP team play by making it EASIER to stay together I would even be fine without the radar, just some pointer of the direction they are in.

I wonder how you get split up. Those large player's health/armor bars are seen from like behind miles. :rolleyes:

No need for radar imo, there's too much irrelevant stuff on screen even now.

Upvote 0
How about simply making the name / class / health bars visible over folks in range hang around on the nearest edge of the screen when the person sporting them is behind you? At least you'd know in general which side they were off at, and the fall-off in visibility would give you a rough idea of how far. Thus, better spacial awareness and situational awareness and less clutter in the main field of vision.

Upvote 0