• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF-Monastery (WIP)

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
Hey all, this is my first real attempt at a KF map. I've never worked in the UTE before, but plenty of work in other games has served me well.

This map is not ready for download. I have a lot more work to do before I'm ready to release it. Here's a preview though.

The level will be huge. I'm considering finishing it and slicing it up into smaller chunks. I think the map might be a bit larger than any of the official KF maps.

Things I'm going for in this map-

Lots of atmosphere.
Convoluted internal routes, secret passages, one-way deadman drops.
Variety in looks and styles.
Lots of player movement. Compared to BioticsLab, I'm hoping this map forces players to constantly stay on the move, since traders will be an average of 100m+ away at any time.

Back to work.

Attachments

• kfmonastlevel1.jpg
    kfmonastlevel1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • kfmonastlevel2.jpg
    kfmonastlevel2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
  • kfmonast3.jpg
    kfmonast3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • kfmonastlevel4.jpg
    kfmonastlevel4.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • kfmonastlevel5.jpg
    kfmonastlevel5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
I did a timed run. From one trader on the East Side of the Monastery (near the Meditation Garden) to the one on the West side (in the graveyard) took over a full minute to reach running along the exterior. You *might* shave 15 seconds or so off of that taking the interior routes, but I haven't tested them yet. In total I think I'm going to have 7 traders for the map, give or take.

Upvote 0
Big map is big. But I'm trying to keep each room different and varied as possible. That said, I decided to cut out ~ 1/3rd of the level. I do want to finish this sometime :p If people enjoy it enough, I'll add the last few areas. As it is now it's plenty big. I'm almost finished designing rooms and can get down to detail work and all the nuts and bolts like working doors and the like.

Anyways, here's a screenie of the Monastery Graveyard. Taken in the editor because I don't have lighting really laid out and it is a better representation than in game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The work continues. Finally started detailing and working out lighting. Was hoping to complete the map before classes started again, but that may not be happening.

Here's the graveyard, with detailing and lighting passes mostly done. I'm saving distance fog and final ambient light tweaks for last. Coronas could use a little work too. The screen shot is actually quite a bit darker than it appears in game.

And here's a pic of the graveyard chapel, with it's electric-Jesus-Se7en style cross.

Last edited:
Upvote 0