• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Need Help With Pathnodes

Beatrice

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 20, 2009
Hey I am new to editing and I have everything working fine except for certain parts I am trying to make a path for the zombies. I made a vent like spot that the zombies are suppose to fall out of a hole in the roof but I can't seem to get them to go to the hole. The pathnodes wont let me have a path leading to the hole. Other then that one spot I can get the pathnodes working for other spots on my map.

Hi, I was having the exact same problem, so I'm really interested to hear other responses to this thread.

The solution I found, which sort of works, is to put a path node on either side of the hole. What I've found, is that most of the zombies will walk over and fall down. I have had problems though with zombies hesitating at the edge of the hole, unwilling to make the drop.

I hope this helps for the time being. There must be a better way to do this though.

Upvote 0
Try a) node away from the hole, jump point at the edge of the hole, and a path node (or zombiepathnode) at the destination point. Then turn on view path. Sometimes, depending on the angle, the path the AI would take from a jump point isn't always logical. In path view, if you don't see path line from the jump point to the bottom floor, they probably won't take it and will only fall by happenstance. Once you've got a destination node at the bottom, play with it's alignment, rebuild changed paths, and see where it has to be.

In my map I had a tall wall that specimen jumped over, from a ramp that leads to their spawn point. I found that when I set the destination nav point away from the wall...I got pathing line. When I put it closer to the base of the wall, I got no pathing line. Even though it looked perfectly logical for them to jump off and land at that pathing point, that's not how the engine sees it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I've got it working most of the time now. I played around with JumpPoint placement and put lots of PathNodes below so that it has several potential paths.

Viewing paths has helped immensely with pathing in general.

The only time they don't seem to jump down is when I'm nearly right under the hole, but if I move a little, they seemed to jump down.

Before I had the jump nodes, they looked like they'd walk right over the hole. It's 128x128, so it should be more than large enough. The thing that I'm wondering about is that most official maps just use regular pathnodes for dropping from holes, but that didn't work for me. Maybe my problem is I basically put a whole room above the target room and the hole is kind of in the middle? Maybe less room for them to move would encourage them to drop down more.

I'm enjoying getting zombies on my levels to appear in various devious places.:D

Upvote 0
I've found using a zombiepathnode outside their spawn point gets them moving the direction I want. My problem is that, anytime I have them go over something like an obstacle, the 'tolerance' of the path goes to small. Even when they have plenty of headroom, the pathing determined says only clots and crawlers and small things will use that path.

Upvote 0
I haven't noticed that, but I have my above-ceiling spawn areas only spawning crawlers and stalkers anyway. I have some blocked hallways, but I don't have any real obstacles for them to climb over yet (just a cart to show that it's blocked and a ZombieZoneVolume to keep players out), since I'm getting the layout and game-flow tweaked before working on making it look pretty.

Have you tried making a BlockingVolume ramp over obstacles? I've noticed that's used in official levels to get them to go over barricades.

I don't have any experience with getting them to go over things yet. I'm trying to perfect getting them to drop down first.:cool:

Upvote 0
Maybe my problem is I basically put a whole room above the target room and the hole is kind of in the middle? Maybe less room for them to move would encourage them to drop down more.

I was having problems with this too. They might be skirting right around the outside. I put some generic blockingvolumes on the sides of the holes so they'd have to walks right over the center.

Upvote 0