• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Can custom textures/etc. be downloaded through redirect?

Gunblazer 42

May 18, 2009
Say I want to put a map like The Hive or a map that comes with a custom texture/sound file. If I were to upload these to a server, would the client be able to download them in order to play the map?

On that note, if it is possible, would we be able to upload the custom textures/etc to a rediret server for the fast downloading? If so, how? Do I merely put them in the same directory as the uz2 files that are downloaded?

This is an unreal series based game.

the engine will not download music (only music) from the redirect.

everything else is a go.

OK, so aside from the music, they can still download sound files (not .ogg, that other file, .usx I think) and the other types? How do I put them on the redirect? Do they go under a 'Sounds" and "Textures", etc folder, or do I just upload the files right beside the uz2 files with no other folders?

Upvote 0
Textures have been working fine for me, although that's me ****ing around with certain things on my own servers.

.ogg is the only extension that can not be downloaded, well i should really say .ogg.uz2...

slam it all into a base directory.

any and all subfolders are completly ignored, when the server tells the client to shove off and go elsewhere for the file, it requests as so:

http://123.456.789.012:12345/redirects/uz2/kf/KF-Farm.rom.uz2

(example but that's the structure i use for redirects.)

ucc compress KF-MAPNAME.ROM
ucc compress STATICMESH.usx
ucc compress TEXTURENAME.utx
ucc compress SYSTEMFILE.u
ucc compress SOUNDFILE.uax

I might be missing one, i use an in-house tool to dump every file in a certain directory on to my redirect (ucc compress can be run on any file, it's not limited to unreal based files what so ever)

Upvote 0
Gunblazer, yes.

once the file is compressed, and in the correct dir (all together) on the webserver...the client will just pull them down and cache them, and call upon them as needed...

you *must* remember to compress everything, it will save bandwidth transfer (speed up connection time on new maps as well) by 80%.

Upvote 0